FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Mikar

Help w/ my PC?

Hello all,

I wasn't sure if there was a specific spot to put this so I figured Off-Topic would be best.

My PC seems to just shut down every once and a while. The whole thing is less than 3 months old and I've only recently started experiencing this. I think that it's my GPU over heating to be honest but if anyone has any input feel free to drop it here.

A situation in which it happened was last night I was raiding in WoW in BRF and we were working on progression on Maidens. I've recently bumped my graphics to Ultra (as the new PC should be able to handle it) but it seems to me that BRF is much more visually demanding than say Highmaul was. It has happened twice to date, obviously that maidens fight and the other night on a flamebender kill during a firestorm.

I don't get any error or anything, the PC just shuts off. When I boot back up I don't get a crash report or anything it just boots normal.

I downloaded Furmark and stressed the GPU to 99% which brought the temp up to but never above 79C. Which apparently should be fine based on my card. Now I'm super at a loss, unless it's my CPU. But I feel that if it was it would most likely happens other times as well.

Thanks for the help, I've resolved the issue. It was a PC overheating issue. Bought a new heat sink (was rocking stock) and 2 new fans (1 more intake and 1 more exhaust), getting much lower temps :)

the 'black screen of death' as it's often called when you computer does a hard power off with no warning can also often be caused by an insufficient or failing power supply. If the problem pops up again I'd check that out. I have a fairly high end system, and when I upgraded my graphics card to Radeon R9 290 I started running into issues similar to yours. I had a 750watt power supply but it turns out that wasn't enough because the R9 290 needs something insane like 400 watts of power on the 12volt rail specifically, so I had to upgrade to a 1000watt power supply to achieve that.