FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
choco

Subtlety DPS Improvements

Hey guys,

Just wanted to check in with you for some tips/hints on improving my DPS. Currently I'm trying to work on my Rupture/SnD up time, and making sure that I time things correctly so I can spam Eviscerate + Backstab/Ambush whilst Find Weakness is up and not having to refresh SnD/Rupture. 

Here's some logs from our latest Blackhand HC tries (Yungb) - click

And here's my armory - click

K, one thing for sure: you're letting FW fall off when you can keep it up. In PvE, Vanish is an offensive cooldown, and of utmost importance to Sub since it's teh only way outside of big cooldowns to keep your bread and butter rolling: Find Weakness. You gotta maximize the time you have it up right from the start, where is when you got all your stuff rolling and you can pull it off for a longer period without blowing anything.

Also, you kept FW falling off for most of fights when you could have used right off Vanish - don't do that.

Another thing, I couldn't see how much energy you pooled to Vanish, but treat Vanish as a mini Dance. You can rack at least 2 Ambushes inside Vanish window, so be aware of that.

Use Preparation right after your first Vanish - ensures more uses over a long fight (i.e. over 5 mins).

As for buffs, you maintained them for most part of time above 80% (only once that you dropped SnD to 67%), so it's not SUPER bad. Still, you gotta work more on that and try keeping up to at least 95%. SnD is rather easy to keep up, since it's a cyclic buff and doesn't suffer external interferencies (that is, for example, MS ticking Rupture faster). So if I was to look at a log with a good SnD usage, I'd see it evenly spaced - that'd be the optimal. With Pandemic, it rolls for 46s - refresh on 10s left and you'll won't worry about energy.

Rupture is a bit more complicated because of Backstab and Ambush multistrike mechanic and being our most damaging skill. Rupture lasts 24s, speeding up 2s every MS. So, to keep up the most time, without wasting ticks (above 30% of duration), I'd start pooling CPs around 12s to refresh on 6~7s. This way we ensure we get a higher timer rolling  and a comfort zone - we can focus on other things than refreshing it in a rush. Also try to avoid refreshing inside FW - Eviscerate belongs there. And use Rupture inside clone - although it won't dip into the extra damage, it replicates the skill and ensures you have the buff rolling while you dance.

I have yet to confirm this, but I think that if you refreshed Rupture with a lower CP one than previous applied and wasn't in Pandemic range, it'd overwrite. Take this with a grain of salt, I'm not sure yet. If anyone can confirm this, I'd appreciate.

A quick rundown on an opener:

@15s dbm pull

- Stealth > Prem > Out of stealth

@3s dbm pull

- Stealth > Prepot > SnD

@Pull

Garrote > 2x Ambush > Pool energy up to around 80e* (you don't have T17 yet)

Shadow Reflection > 5CP Rupture > Shadow Dance > Ambush spam > 5CP Evisc spam > SnD at the first opportunity/Rupture if needed (5CP)

@near 3s of FW to fall off
Pool energy up to around 80e* > Vanish with FW 1s left > Preparation > Premeditation > Ambush spam > 5CP Rupture if needed else 5CP Evisc

@near 3s of FW to fall off

Pool energy up to around 80e* > Vanish with FW 1s left > Ambush spam > SnD/Rupture if needed else Evisc

General Dancing:

Pool around 80e* and at least 5~7CP (if you dance with 7, usually within 1s of it you'll earn a CP through HaT - Ambush and Evisc twice), try to fit the max Eviscerates you can inside FW window.

*80e is a suggestion, might vary based on your haste regen and your timings

Things to watch for:

SnD - you might have a small downtime during SD since you only 2CP SnD - refresh asap;

Rupture - inside SD, it'll run FAST as hell, watch for it and refresh asap;

Vanish usage - fit it inside 1~2s of previous FW window;

Prep - RIGHT after 1st Vanish. Macro with it if needed.

This was based over these logs, which are short (wipes, unfortunately) - so your uptimes on full fights might differ, sincer other things might (and will) influentiate on your gameplay (positioning, mechanics, even getting tired).

Hope this helps. I'm in no way owner of truth, so I may be wrong. If anyone finds so, feel free to correct me and add info.

=)

Edited by lipsinch

A quick rundown on an opener:

Garrote > 2x Ambush > Pool energy up to around 80e* (you don't have T17 yet)

Shadow Reflection > 5CP Rupture > Shadow Dance > Ambush spam > 5CP Evisc spam > SnD at the first opportunity/Rupture if needed (5CP)

Hello, I have 2 parts of T17 so why not :

Garrote > Shadow Reflection + Shadow Dance + Beating Heart macro> Ambush spam > 5CP Evisc spam > SnD at the first opportunity/Rupture if needed (5CP)?

Another question :

Shadow reflection will apply a second Rupture so at one moment there will maybe be 2 ruptures at the same time on the target (one from you and one from your clone), if MS didnt finish your first rupture. My question is, when our clone's Rupture will tick on the target, should I refresh my OWN rupture (to have 2 ruptures at the same time again)?

Thanks

Edited by Zayl

As for your first question, I didn't understand.

For the second, your clone's Rupture won't apply the Sanguinary Veins buff - it's basically for damage. So yes, you have to have your own running so you can receive that buff.

Hello, I have 2 parts of T17 so why not :

Garrote > Shadow Reflection + Shadow Dance + Beating Heart macro> Ambush spam > 5CP Evisc spam > SnD at the first opportunity/Rupture if needed (5CP)?

You're wasting energy this way. You need at least 1 Ambush to prevent the bonus energy from being wasted entirely, but 2 is more damage

You're wasting energy this way. You need at least 1 Ambush to prevent the bonus energy from being wasted entirely, but 2 is more damage

Okay so can I do this :

Garrote > Ambush x2 > [shadow Reflection + Shadow Dance + Beating Heart macro] > Rupture > Ambush > 5CP Evisc spam

?