FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
DragonAcnologia

Another "How to improve my prot-war" post

Greetings, 

I've been raiding as a war dps from the start of Wod and my guild needed a tank so i volunteered as a tribute this past week.

I haven't really played tank at all in wow lately( only in some private servers and in TBC) and i am underperforming.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/burning-legion/Argornath/advanced

I have 2 piece of the set but they are both 665 and i am not sure if they are worth it(I have the inv_plate_raidwarrior_o_01shoulders.jpgBlackhand's Shoulderguards and inv_plate_raidwarrior_o_01gloves.jpgBlackhand's Handguards )

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/1gWCxDXVMkHQ76zY#

Feel free to look at other tries or other bosses(greatly appreciated) but in that particular boss i wasn't used to the fight(on the previous tries) and i just underperform even more.

I used bladestorm because right after i charge when i get knocked up i BS to help hands.

The monk uses the boar thingy so the breath isn't a problem

I feel like i don't really manage my rage all that good because my bad habits as a fury kick in and i end up using heroic strike more than i'd wish to.

Thanks in advance

Edited by DragonAcnologia

Well I in no way believe I am a prot warrior expert, but I do have some suggestions that may help. I noticed you only have 2 uses of shield block. Kromog is a highly physical damage fight, and you'll get much better mitigation from constantly rolling shield block since it scales with your mastery in blocking the physical damage. Also, since your talent choice is currently heavy repercussion, you're only getting the 30% extra shield smash damage when shield block is up. On that note however, you may get better bonuses from the random, free Execute procs of Sudden Death or the free Heroic Strikes from 6 stacks of Unyielding Strikes if you change that talent. If you like Heroic Strike, and can keep Unyielding Strikes up through Devastate uses, that may be the best talent choice for you there. The hands phase will also melt if you Bladestorm, Ravager, Dragon's Roar simultaneously for it. And the cooldowns should all be up for each one of those phases. I hope some or all of this is relatively accurate and helps a little bit.

Thanks for the reply

I am aware i don't use shield block as much as i am supposed to do because i tried to keep shield barrier up since i wasn't so sure shield block works in the aoe from fists of fury but after reading some more posts in here i will do it today.So far i was using it when Kromog was actively attacking me.

Also i misread HR and thought it worked in shield barrier too.Even then i would prefer not to go with US because i would like to get better at rage managing.I think ideally i should have rage even for both of them although i am not sure if my train of thought it correct since i am fairly new to all this.I am gonna be using Shield Block more ofter now so i think it's fine.

Thanks for the Dragon's Roar part i completely missed that talent.

So all in all i should prefer Shield Block than Shield Barrier except when for w/e reason Shield Block doesn't work(e.g. Oregorger's Acid torrent)?

Yeah there are very few abilities or fights that Shield Barrier is better, since Shield Block scales with your Mastery and blocks or critically blocks everything physical, especially if your trinket procs, but Shield Barrier is a flat absorption for only a certain amount. Almost all of BRF is physical to tanks, with the few exceptions being Oregorger's Torrent, Blast Furnace dots, Beastlord Rylak dot, and Flamebender Wolves breath. In my opinion Shield Block is best used unless it's one of those abilities, and Shield Barrier is good for burning rage while waiting for a Shield Block charge. It's also, in my opinion, best to save a charge for abilities like Inferno Slice, Crippling Suplex, Kromog Slam, etc that deal very high physical damage.

Shield Block [...] for abilities like Inferno Slice, Crippling Suplex, Kromog Slam, etc that deal very high physical damage.

Are you sure that SB works on the last two? 

Hey here's the logs from last night although i only tanked Iron Maidens

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/n1BA8MgktF9zqRca

I tried keeping one def cd up all time but as a result i ended up low on damage. Any suggestions?Maybe use Heroic Strike a bit more?

@keaghen i can't really say since i didn't tank Kromog.So far i've seen everyone saying that wars should leap out of Slam's range

Although at the end of the day i think it's better to just leap and charge than wasting rage on a shield block .Maybe glyph for leap too

Edited by DragonAcnologia

Although at the end of the day i think it's better to just leap and charge than wasting rage on a shield block

Wasting rage on a Shield Block? Does not compute.

I'll try to look at logs SoonTM.

Even if you're gonna block or barrier you still need to back up from slam. But also as another note, I talked to a warrior tank on my server that's in one of the top 10 or so guilds, he said he almost never uses shield block, only barrier. He told me block still gives glancing hits and barrier is a straight absorb, and he prefers it. He said he shield blocks for fights with a lot of adds because you can get a block on all of them at the same time, which makes it better. I don't honestly know which is the "more correct" way to do it, and haven't had time to play with it much. Estarriol will probably be able to give much better advice than I can, I'm going to experiment with both ways and see what works better for me :) I hope anything I said I was at least mildly helpful lol

Personally, I use shield block for heavy melee hits and adds. I use SB for practically everything else. Not saying this is correct nor am I a top end raider. But, it works for me.

You should use shield block on cooldown any time you're getting hit by blockable attacks, which in BRF is pretty much always.

Barrier is kinda weak, so you should only use it for burning excess rage or diminishing damage from thing like Acid Torrent on Oregorger or absorbing your Enkindle while off-tanking Thogar

Even if you're gonna block or barrier you still need to back up from slam. But also as another note, I talked to a warrior tank on my server that's in one of the top 10 or so guilds, he said he almost never uses shield block, only barrier. He told me block still gives glancing hits and barrier is a straight absorb, and he prefers it. He said he shield blocks for fights with a lot of adds because you can get a block on all of them at the same time, which makes it better. I don't honestly know which is the "more correct" way to do it, and haven't had time to play with it much. Estarriol will probably be able to give much better advice than I can, I'm going to experiment with both ways and see what works better for me smile.png I hope anything I said I was at least mildly helpful lol

Please, please, please, please, please do not listen to that guy. Shield Barrier is scaled right now so that it will never be better than Shield Block unless you are taking unblockable damage. If you CAN block something, you should be. You certainly can and should be layering in Shield Barrier too, but you should absolutely be keeping Shield Block up as much as possible.

Wasting as in taking slam head on and hoping shield block does a better job than leaping xD.My bad.

Thanks for taking the time to look them tho

Okay, that makes much more sense! Yeah, I like you use Death From Above to be able to leap out for every one.