FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Hellkhan

2h frost -value of crit over mastery

I was thinking to myself, I said "self, since a killing machine proc is an automatic critical strike for obliterate, isn't prioritizing Crit rating over mastery (a full time boost to frost damage) a mistake?".

I've done little actual in game research on this but it's just a thought i had. Can anyone explain the thought process behind this please? Is this based strictly on sims or actual in game play?

After thinking about this for a bit, i decided i should iterate that i realize EVERYTHING has a chance to crit and i know that MIGHT mean overall more damage if you get "lucky" with a good amount of crits. I was curious though...would the guaranteed added damage from the mastery bonus to frost damage be more smooth over a full fight.

Maybe I'm overcomplicating. Idk.

Both simulations and real-world experience are showing that crit is ahead of mastery.

As you say, crit is going to affect everything and the extra damage (particularly from extra Obliterate crits) outweighs the gains you get from the increased Frost Strike and Frost Fever damage. The only other significant ability that mastery affects is Howling Blast which you're only regularly going to be using on Rime procs and for AoE.

• Like 1

Not to mention that Howling Blast hits like a wet noodle, even on a good day (single target, of course).

• Like 3