FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Peelyon

What is your most favourite dungeon?

A quick thread to lighten the mood in the dungeon / raid forums! No doubt this forum will be a fountain of knowledge and tactics, but wonder what your thoughts are on the dungeons.

So what is your favourite? Is it because it proved to be a challenge? Was it the first dungeon you ever entered?

For me it has to be the original Sunken Temple. Sadly in Cataclysm, Deathwing somehow managed to smash the place so hard that it lost a few of the levels and it is now a one level instance.

However the original was a maze. The number of bosses, mini bosses and dragons in the place made it a player favourite or a players nightmare.

Personally I loved it. It reminds me spending hours and hours on my level 50 hunter quest, and finally getting the dragons tooth from Morphaz. It was on the lower levels that I saw my first ever epic item drop, just to watch it be ninja'd and put on the AH an hour later.

The place was a skinners dream and I loved the fact that I knew my way around and I managed to lead groups around the maze.

Loads of reasons added together make it a great place. Sadly its now just a shadow of its former glory, but I still reminisce!

• Like 1

Good lord Sunken Temple was horrendous! I'm one of the people who were completely happy when Deathwing knocked the upper and lower levels out.

Since you didn't specify 5-man dungeon or raid dungeon, my choice is Ulduar.

I'm pretty sure there isn't going to be a raid with as epic a feel to the size, lore, and actual fight mechanics as that raid. Not to mention the mechanics to activate hardmodes.

Of the 5-mans, I think Grim Batol is my favorite. Knowing the lore behind the place and always seeing it locked away during Vanilla, I always wanted to get in there and tear it up.

Vlad and I have quite good memories from Sunken Temple. The first time we did it, a weird bug happened and we had to complete the entire instance without getting out of combat :P

When we first started the game, we were a group of 5 friends. We leveled up together and did all the 5-man dungeons in Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms. I would say Maraudon was my favorite one :)

I used to love sunken temple and also totally gutted at the changes...

Maura is a hateful place for me, I generally run around in headless chicken mode, even with the map feature I can't find anything. Ugg.

I oddly have fond memories of blackrock mountain... that is until I decided to level a toon soley through instances and rolled this for about ten levels.

Raidwise I tend to be fond of those from outland. I'm not sure why, possibly cause I didn't raid much then so didn't have the opportunity to become bored with them. I like the graphics and generally the mechanics.

I also have an affinity for violet hold. I have no reason for this, and I'm sure very few people agree with me in any way what so ever!

Violet Hold was quite fun indeed. I still remember the glorious days when we were looking for 2 hours for a full group for Blackrock Depths, just to get lost in there for another 2 hours. Those were the fun days when I was playing because I genuinely had fun being new to the game.

• Like 1

Vanilla: Shadowfang Keep

Burning Crusade: Caverns of Time - Opening the Dark Portal & Magister's Terrace

My favourite raid is Karazhan, my very first; always rerunning with a heart full of nostalgia. x

Wrath of the Lich King: Posted Image

Cataclysm: Caverns of Time - Well of Eternity

• Like 1

None in Wrath Poetry??

Must be at least one. Actually, you're probably right! haha

If I had to pick one from Wrath, I'd say Halls of Reflection. Specifically the Lich King fight at the end. Doing that fight with a random group of (probably) fails actually gave you the heart pounding fear that the Lich King was actually going to kill you. That was always awesome to me even if we wiped 4-5 times trying to get past the encounter.

Halls of Reflection?? You started drinking already LCS?

You just liked the Lich King creeping up on you didnt you!

• Like 2

You just liked the Lich King creeping up on you didnt you!

Its Five o' clock somewhere, Peelyon.

I honestly liked all the ICC 5-mans. That's probably because once the Dungeon Finder came in and I'd do a random daily, it was always Halls of Lighting. Every day. Every time I queued. It was nice to finally get something different.

Also, I just loved the lore of it all. I'm still disappointed, lorewise, on how ICC was handled. It would have been great if we had to work with a bunch of the factions while storming the Citadel.

I always hoped it was a huge organized push from everyone into the Citadel, then you break off with the Ebon Blade to take down the Plague Wing, the Sunreavers/Silver Covenant punch the Blood Wing in the face, and the Kirin Tor help take out the Frost Wing.

Then you meet up at the top with Tirion and watch him get turned into an icecube.

But that's just me. And I'm a nerd.

Edited by LCSscallywag

Hrm I must say I also liked HoR. I felt that there was a good range of ICC 5 mans - much better than the how many times have we had to grind painfully though ZA/ZG?

I started playing WoW at the end of Wrath (ICC was on it's way out). So much of my dungeon and raid experience came in Cataclysm, however with that I did begin raiding in ICC and enjoyed in thoroughly. The three dungeons up to ICC I thought were really well planned out and seemed to flow together really nicely that gave a good story as to what is going on in the Citadel.

After raiding ICC I had the opportunity to begin back tracking and doing older content that I wasn't around to do and seeing Ulduar for the first time (after seeing other content) was amazing. The place is huge, yet it doesn't feel bad when running through it, I always enjoy going back for Ulduar runs even though there is nothing of value for my characters from there anymore.

My favorite dungeon would have to be End Time. I really like the Bronze Dragonflight and the lore that dungeon added was really cool. My favorite raid though was Dragon Soul, the only raid I've ever ran while it was content. I ran Ulduar as an 85 though and it was truly epic. I'm sad I never got to really run it. Firelands is probably a close second with all it's cool mechanics.

My favorite Dungeon was the old school raid Zul Gurub, back when you could collect hakkari bijous and sell them for 20g a piece on the ah...and try and get a kitty mount and a raptor mount, and fish up gahzranka and all.........*sigh* ..... when cat came out and my instance was GONE i about DIED!!! I was so MAD! my hunny tried to pacify me by trying to run me through some of the new stuff.......i ended up just throwing popcorn at him and calling him a traitor :P

For me I've allways had a personal affection with Shadow Labs. Don't know why, still think Murmur should have his return as a raid boss in the future. As he's just, well, cool... ;)

Now & then I just fly down there to clear the place, for ol' times sake.

I miss Outland... Posted Image

• Like 1

Deadmines. Not too small, not too big, just right. It has some nostalgia too as it is one of the first dungeons I played.

Added note: Just noticed my rank has changed to Farmer. I can look down on all the Peasants now. However, doesn't the work Peasant come from the French word for Farmer or Agricultural worker?

Edited by Damian

Vanilla: I would say Zul'Farrak or Uldaman. The most hated dungeon for me was Blackfathom deeps hrrmf.

TBC: Old hillsbrad foothills.

WOTLK: Drak'Tharon keep.

Cataclysm: Well of eternity or the stonecore?(Return of Millhouse Manastorm! :D)

• Like 1

I like Gundrak because I enjoyed feeling I was interacting with the dungeon and it had a life of its own - when you see the two trollbeasts fighting each other = awesome.

All my favorites come from Vanilla: Scholo/Strat (Baron run)/DM (Tribute run) for 5-man, MC and ZG (old version) for raids.

It's all nostalgic. Nowadays, it's all so streamlined: new raid, new gear, adjusted rotation/change spec to max-out dps, best flasks/gems/enchants, raid difficulty nerf, rinse, repeat. It has its pluses, I'm not complaining, but in Vanilla, we were so inexperienced and the game felt so much different - magical (here comes my inner geek).

Also, 40-man raids were something: 8 class leaders, who know what's going on, about 10 more, who have some rough idea, and about 20, who have no clue and hope for some epix. God how we hated MC, but it brings the best memories now.

For me it was all about Ulduar. I loved the Nordic themed lore, and questing through Storm Peaks was amazing! I still get swept away by the music when I revisit the area today; reminds me of my most enjoyable WoW moments :)

So Halls of Lightning and Halls of Stone are by far my favourite 5-man Dungeons, and the Ulduar Raid... imo this was the pinnacle of World of Warcraft, the perfect marriage of Norse and Lovecraftian Mythology.