FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
keaghen

BrewMaster Logs - What to look out for ?

HI,

Im starting to play my BrM alt (657) and wondered what i should look for when analyzing logs. Ive tanked some nonheroic BrF bosses and feel like im taking way too much dmg.

Ive also somehow managed to tank Hc Darmac and felt like i was constantly close to dying. I usually let my cotank begin the encounter so i can build up a 1min Shufflebuff

and can focus on using my chi for Guard + PB. Id appreciate any help in regards of tips/tricks on improving my playstyle and what to look out for (especially in regards of analyzing logs afterwards)

http://eu.battle.net/wow/de/character/eredar/K%C3%B8ri/advanced(my monk)

Best regards, 

keaghen

A link to the logs would help. We'll use my logs as a training example for now.

First I look at buffs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/kGwKQc1aTDdrvhMm#fight=18&type=auras&source=14

Shuffle = 98%+. Depending on the fight this number changes a bit, but I normally aim for about 98%+ no matter what.

EB = 40%-ish+. There are going to be two EB buffs showing in the logs, one is the stacks that you hold and the other is the dodge buff itself. The LOWER if the two will be the one you care about. I normally aim for around 40% or more, depending on the fight. If you want to be a little more exact then pin the EB and switch to the Damage Taken view, LIKE THIS. You should see the EB usage line up (roughly) with your spikes in damage. The more the EB covers the spikes, the better. If you see EB outside of spikes this likely means you used EB when you didn't need to thus wasting the EB.

Back to buffs

Power Strikes is mostly about the spacing between them. If you see large gaps that means you held the PS for to long and didn't get the buff. You can hold it for a short amount of time but not forever.

Guard I use when I need it, I think of it more as a soft CD then a passive effect. I don't use it to lower my average damage, I use it to soften spike damage or cheese a mechanic.

Depending on the talents you were using you need to look for Dampen Harm, Defuse Magic, Xuen, etc. Not about uptimes - just make sure you didn't forget to use them.

I rarely look at my logs after a fight unless I'm looking for ways to do more damage. I normally look at my deaths. But I rarely do that in Warcraftlogs.com, I use the addon DeathNote and look at my deaths as they happen in the raid. Much better for quickly finding and fixing problems.

Hope this helps.

A link to the logs would help. We'll use my logs as a training example for now.

^^ This + If my german is vaguely decent you have a dps trinket & a stam trinket with no bonus armor, and your stat priority is either wrong or your taking highest ilvl regardless of stats, gratz on the hc beastlord kill, but you would get a ton of better gear and experience running normal and heroic highmaul

at same ilvl with a 630 dungeon trinket I have 553 more bonus armor & 4% more mastery which would make you a ton less "squishy"

EDIT: 2H is also better than DW, but either way you should enchant bonus armor and then crit/mastery/ms on the other

Edited by Brady84

I pushed my monk to relatively high ilvl as fast as possible, so i rly took best ilvl over stats. The whole reason of the darmac kill was to get the polearm ^^. 

Edited by keaghen

Do you pool chi at all? How much and when ?

Depends a lot on the fight. On a farm boss I use ChEx and normally spend my chi as fast as I make it because nothing really threatens me. *If* I need to purify then I do so with a 3 Chi ChEx, as simple as throwing out an extra Jab if needed.

On progression or a fight that I feel the need to protect myself I normally only bank one chi and spend the rest. I save the one chi for a quick purify if I need it. My Guards are normally fairly planned out in my head based on the flow of the fight so I know when I need to save and when I can spend. 

I know that doesn't help a lot when you're trying to learn but it will come. I would say for a man in your shoes to bank 2 chi at all times so that you can Guard or Purify whenever you need to. Once you get better at your kung-fu and get a better feel for the fights you'll get a better spider sense for when you need to save and when you don't.

For DPS ilvl>all normally, but tanking isn't about the ilvl at all. Sure more agl helps, but more BA and the fight stats help a lot more then just MORE. Pick your items carefully, I have a max ilvl of 689 (pre-BRF buff) but I normally have a ilvl of 686 because of my trinkets. My heroic BRF trinkets are better then my MWF Highmaul trinkets by a landslide, even though they are 5-9ilvl lower.