FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Eldunari

Fire mage with arcane enchants?

Hi guys,

I'm a fire mage and have all the enchants a fire mage should have accoarding to Icy-Veins. It's useful because I can change to arcane when needed. But here comes my question, why do some other guides say fire mages should have critt enchants and gems?

I was just wondering and hoping somebody could help me out with this.

Hi guys,

I'm a fire mage and have all the enchants a fire mage should have accoarding to Icy-Veins. It's useful because I can change to arcane when needed. But here comes my question, why do some other guides say fire mages should have critt enchants and gems?

I was just wondering and hoping somebody could help me out with this.

Crit is better for pure single target, so that's probably why. For any type of cleave or aoe DPS mastery is better though, and for anyone playing both arcane and fire it's definitely better to use mastery enchants.

I was wondering this too.

I know mastery is better once you have "enough" crit but what "enough" crit is isn't mentioned in the guide.

Without crit I'm left standing there spamming fireball and not getting enough Pyroblast! procs. Obviously your mastery is useless if you're not getting Pyroblast! procs.

What is "enough" crit?

Honestly you get lots of passive crit just from being fire spec, so you don't really need that much for cleave if any at all. When BRF was first released i was still in frost spec gear/enchants, and with only like 400 crits i was doing very well on aoe fights as fire. 2set is a huge boost though.

Single target is a different story, for Fire to be good there you need probably about 1k ish from gear, along with 4set.

Edited by TLTeo
  • Like 1

Thanks for the information! I use arcane on single target bosses and fire on the multitarget bosses. I also have the 4set so I better stick to mastery then. 

Hi, a big reason to start moving away from crit to mastery this tier is because your 2set and 4set offer so much free crit and on multi target fights, your two set bonus will likely lead to ignite being your highest source of damage if you're not letting then build up to two charges and sit.

It may seem like a hardcore statement, but for pure dps classes, it's very essential to be flexible in your spec. It would be very valuable to learn to be arcane for your single target fights this tier since the stat weights for ST arcane and MT fire work out so nicely.