FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
sifarus

Understanding Ignite/Combustion

Hello all,

I recently switched to Fire Mage and although it's a lot of fun, my dps still lacking. One of the bigger problems is that I have a hard time understanding how Ignite/Combustion really works. 

I'm at ilvl 674 right now and my highest ignite is around 8.4k, but I've read I should be doing 12-15k at least. 

I read that it's about chaining crits and pyroblasts, but this doesn't always seem to be the case. I've often had that I was at 8k ignite and directly followed it with another (instant) pyroblast, only for it to drop to 6k. So I don't really get why it goes up and down like it does. What's the logic/math behind it?

And for a more general question: What makes for a succesful combustion rotation? I have 2 set piece, if that matters.

Thanks for the help

The combustion sequence (when you start building up combustion) is kinda prone to RNG. To start it ou want to be at HU/HS and then you:
Cast 1 Fireball
When the fireball is in the air use pyro

if any of the two crit, you'll get another pyro  -> use it.

Then if there's a secondary target use inferno blast twice (assuming you use kindling).

The way ignite works:

Assuming you got 50% mastery. Fireball does 100 damage and Pyro 200.

If your fireball hits the target it's gonna take an additional 50 damage over 6 seconds (1 tick per second). Assuming you hit with Pyro 3 seconds later (at 3 seconds), then the total ignite is going to be 25 + 50% * 200 = 125 and it's going to deal this amount over 6 seconds. It's a bit more complicated than that ((what I just typed is not100% true) but it gives you an idea (the truth is too complicated). 

From my fire mage guide over on altered-time:

- Whenever a spell lands, it takes your mastery % of that spell, and turns it into a total ignite pool. Ignite ticks every second over 5 seconds, so your ignite tick value becomes 1/5th of that. Whenever ignite ticks, the total value drops, but the tick value remains the same.
- If you already had ignite on the target when a new spell applies, ignite gets refreshed to 6 seconds, and a new total ignite pool gets calculated, and then redistributed over 6 ticks.

Example (let's assume 30% mastery, completely arbitrary number):

- a spell lands for 50k, 30% of the 50k, 15k, becomes the ignite pool. Ignite starts as 5 seconds, so total ignite = 15k, with 15/5 = 3k ticks.
- a new spell lands for 50k, 30% of the 50k, 15k, is added to the ignite pool. Ignite gets refreshed to 6 seconds, total pool = 30k over 6 seconds, so 30/6 = 5k ticks
- ignite ticks. The total pool now becomes 25k over 5 seconds, so still on 5k ticks

- a new spell lands for 30k, 30% of 30k, 9k, gets added to the ignite pool. Ignite pool now gets refreshed to 6 seconds with a 25k+9k ignite pool, for a total of 34k over 6 seconds, = 5.67k ignite ticks.

Edited by Dutchmagoz
  • Like 1