FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
lockish

What... I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

My dps should be higher I'm just sucking the big suck stick. I haven't played in a bit and I'm just horrible. I used to be good .. so I thought anyway. HELP!!!!

Edited by JosephTaylor

If you wait a bit, I'm sure someone with more experience in the field of Warlocks will show up and answer your questions :)

Yeah, i don't have much to say since those fights are kinda wonky to try and judge. if i could see you on a patchwerk type fight more, i'd have a better understanding, but it seems you haven't done the front half in over a fortnight.

edit: to explain further, those two fights are terrible (in my humble opinion) to try and gauge how to improve.

I mean, blade lord. "how can i do more damage" well, don't get hit by tornadoes, and don't die.

you used your shadow bulwark once, and that was during the gauntlet...that's fine and all, but you didn't use your unending resolve when you were getting lower on health. I can't tell when you used your healthstone, but you only used it once. Also, you may be better off having Dark Bargain instead of Sacrificial Pact.

garalon fight isn't even a kill. and since a lot of our punch comes with an actual execution, it's difficult to say.

edit two: and for that blade lord analysis, i'm strictly looking at the kill log, not the X amount of wipes prior.

Edited by Gravyspasm

Okay so as of now pop more cooldowns for survival and pick better fights. Judging by my gear what should I be doing on average? I dont' care if it's a rough estimate I just want something to shoot for.

Is my gemming and reforging good?

Edited by JosephTaylor

Is my gemming and reforging good?

actually.

you're over hit by .41% (mr robot says .32% and armory says .41%....and since i'll be tweaking you in AMR, i'll concede its .32%)

and you're 729 short of haste for a goblin. (assuming that ele shaman is buffing Elemental Oath, and i have no idea why they wouldn't.)

given that, here are some new values you could shoot for if you wanted:

Posted Image

(NOTE: The following may not be the most elegant solution, but it is a solution. feel free to tweak it how you want, so long as you hit that haste mark)

• HEAD---Changed the reforge to crit -> haste and gem to a haste/hit
  • NECK---added reforge hit -> haste
  • SHOULDER---changed gem to full hit
  • WRIST---removed reforge
  • TRINKET---removed reforge.

This gets you to .1% over hit and .12% over the haste mark you should be aiming for.

you'll lose 2% mastery, but the haste is mark is more important.

as for what you should be doing, dps wise.....i've no idea..im not a simcrafter. but i am sure there is someone far more knowledgeable than me that can help with that part.

• Like 1

Your issue is Haunt.

Your uptimes on haunt are around a 3rd of where they should be, which is probably costing you around 10k DPS, if not more. I am not sure how you missed that since it's basically a staple of the rotation, but for basics:

http://www.icy-veins...on-tips-quirks/

Read all of that, every page, tons of help, tips tricks and so forth.

If you aren't already, get the addon Affdots as well and learn to use that effectively, cant tell if you're managing DoT power properly or not from your logs.

Best of luck Posted Image

P.S. Editing to add this in for completeness' sake: https://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topic/1007-world-of-logs-a-comprehensive-guide/

Excellent guide to Wologs by Zagam. You'll frequently find people linking their logs on these forums, warlocks in particular, and comparing your own logs to those of a skilled lock (Zagam links his kill logs in his 'XYZ Normal Warlock Style' guides found on this forum) will allow you to immediately pinpoint relevant differences between you and them.

• Like 1

Garalon: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-pdoxagycdxx5r55n/details/10/?s=6434&e=6860

Your DoT uptimes are as follows:

Agony = 87.6%

UA = 77.5%

Corruption = 79.2%

You used Haunt 5 times in a fight that lasted 7 minutes. I use Haunt 5 times in the first 45 seconds.

You ate 2 Furious Swipes. Control where you are and always always avoid places where you take damage. You also ate a magnificent 540,000 worth of damage by standing in the Pheramones pools. This won't earn you any favors with your healers.

Your Malefic Grasp damage is garbage because your DoT uptimes were subpar. Bring your DoT uptime up as well as your Haunt casts. What exactly are you using your Soul Shards on, anyways? You start with 4, you proc'd 14 during the fight (this will also go up with higher Corruption uptime), and only used Haunt 5 times. This is NOT a fight to be burning Soul Shards with Soulburn: Soul Swap. Refine your positioning and work on performing the correct rotation.

• Like 1

Blade Lord: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-pdoxagycdxx5r55n/sum/damageDone/?s=3276&e=3717

DoT times below 65% uptime. This is unacceptable for a raiding Warlock.

11 Haunts. Again, just like the Garalon fight, you need more Haunts. You'll get more Haunts by keeping Corruption up. Your Malefic Grasp damage goes up by not ever letting Agony fall off as well as your other DoTs. Your primary issue is a lack of understanding on the rotation. Fix this and your DPS will have no place to go but up.

Blade Lord: http://www.worldoflo.../?s=3276&e=3717

DoT times below 65% uptime. This is unacceptable for a raiding Warlock.

is the uptime calculated over the entirety of the fight, or for however long the character was alive? if it's the former, i can understand why 65% would be there if the toon is dead for the last two minutes

is the uptime calculated over the entirety of the fight, or for however long the character was alive? if it's the former, i can understand why 65% would be there if the toon is dead for the last two minutes

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-pdoxagycdxx5r55n/details/10/?s=3276&e=3598 that is the portion of the fight during which he was alive. For it, WoL lists 93.8% uptime on Agony, 89.2% on Corruption and 74% on Unstable Affliction.

• Like 1

http://www.worldoflo.../?s=3276&e=3598 that is the portion of the fight during which he was alive. For it, WoL lists 93.8% uptime on Agony, 89.2% on Corruption and 74% on Unstable Affliction.

ahh. i see now how that url works.

With reference to to Vlad's link

s=3276&e=3598 start time and end time.

Thanks for that.

Zagam is correct in looking at the entirety of the fight though. My roommate who played a mage always quoted "Dead DPS, does no DPS" which drove him to learn to focus on staying alive over a perfect rotation. He learned to stay alive AND pull really good numbers.

Yes there are times where it is not entirely your fault, there is nothing you can do about that, but most times you could have popped a major defensive cooldown to help mitigate it.

Try to remember that quote and think of ways you can use your spells defensively to help make sure you stay alive during a fight.

Edited by krazyito65
  • Like 1

but most times you could have popped a major defensive cooldown to help mitigate it.

QFT

this mirrors what i was saying earlier about not using his self heals with Unending Resolve and possibly a healthstone (and if he specced into it, Dark Bargain) to keep himself alive during the tornado gauntlet.

• Like 1

I can't tell you how many times I've said this to my raiders during progression. It goes something like this:

Me: Why are you dead?

Dead raider: Because I was trying to squeeze in some extra damage

Me: How much damage are you doing with your face licking the floor?

Dead raider: ...zero

Me: How much damage would you be doing if you had first avoided dying and THEN did damage?

Dead raider: ...more than zero

Me: What have we learned today?

Dead raider: ...don't die.

Me: Good. I'm battle-ressing you, don't do that again.

This type of conversation particularly happened during progression attempts with instant wipe mechanics such as Wind Lord. A healer would trigger the Wind Bomb and do massive damage. Then he's OOM when the boss hits 6%. Similar situation, except it went like this:

Healer: I'm OOM

Me: Why are you OOM?

Healer: I had to heal all the damage from that Wind Bomb

Me: Why did you hit a Wind Bomb?

Healer: was in the middle of a heal cast

Me: on what target and for how much?

Healer: tank, for like 50k.

Me: so you finished your heal of 50k on a tank that didn't really need healed at that point to cause a Wind Bomb to go off causing 300k damage to each person, or 3,000,000 raid damage. Was it worth it?

Healer: No

Me: What did we learn today?

Healer: Don't stand on a Wind Bomb.

Me: *During runback* Great, let's put our heads together and kill this guy!

Amazing what raid awareness will do to your performance.

i always like to see it when people die on their backs so i can stand on their face as i dps

• Like 1

I can't tell you how many times I've said this to my raiders during progression. It goes something like this:

Me: Why are you dead?

Dead raider: Because I was trying to squeeze in some extra damage

Dead raider: ...zero

Me: How much damage would you be doing if you had first avoided dying and THEN did damage?

Dead raider: ...more than zero

Me: What have we learned today?

Dead raider: ...don't die.

Me: Good. I'm battle-ressing you, don't do that again.

This type of conversation particularly happened during progression attempts with instant wipe mechanics such as Wind Lord. A healer would trigger the Wind Bomb and do massive damage. Then he's OOM when the boss hits 6%. Similar situation, except it went like this:

Healer: I'm OOM

Me: Why are you OOM?

Healer: I had to heal all the damage from that Wind Bomb

Me: Why did you hit a Wind Bomb?

Healer: was in the middle of a heal cast

Me: on what target and for how much?

Healer: tank, for like 50k.

Me: so you finished your heal of 50k on a tank that didn't really need healed at that point to cause a Wind Bomb to go off causing 300k damage to each person, or 3,000,000 raid damage. Was it worth it?

Healer: No

Me: What did we learn today?

Healer: Don't stand on a Wind Bomb.

Me: *During runback* Great, let's put our heads together and kill this guy!

Amazing what raid awareness will do to your performance.

LOL I'm glad I was on Mal'Ganis with this guy xD funny as hell and too many times have I seen that convo in my eight years of this game
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the input. I think I"m burning too many shards trying to get max dps from procs. I need to get back to basics. Thanks I think I've figured it out.

I really appreciate you all taking the time to look at my logs.

Edited by JosephTaylor