FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
AStateOfTrance

New to Priest.

I find IV's raid boss-specific tips thread for Priests incredibly useful if you haven't already read it. There is a similar thread on the HowToPriest.com forums as well that may sometimes have nuggets of useful information. Most of what's in it has been said on IV too, but it's worth a shot browsing. You may find some other relevant threads besides those addressing specific boss tips, as I do sometimes. HowToPriest is kinda like shadowpriest.com's successor, and it's been around since forever. Hope you find what you're looking for.

• Like 2

New to Priest, how about "New to about-to-be AWESOME"!

Haha, I'm just messing, kinda.  Welcome to the priest club!  I'll give you some tips on what really helped me, with being a disc priest.  I'm useless for all other specs, and probably most things non-WoW related.

First of all, I have, and always will use, mouse-over macros in conjunction with Grid (an add-on found here: http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/grid). I have Power Word: Shield (PW:Sh), Cascade and Prayer of Healing (PoH) all on mouse-over macros.  The macro I use is:  

#showtooltip SPELL NAME HERE

/use [@mouseover,help,nodead][help,nodead][@player] SPELL NAME HERE

I have Grid positioned in a fashion below my character, which shows when people in the raid have the "Weakened Soul" debuff [so you know when you can cast PW:Sh on them and a dispellable debuff.  I keep the grid positioning here so that I can concentrate on what is happening on the screen while using the mouse-over spells on the raid.

Besides that, learning when to cast Power Word: Solace (PW:So), Penance, Cascade, and Smite are very important.  You should always be trying to use these spells on cooldown, and using Smite as a filler to get you your 5 Evangelism stacks.  

I also learned that using ArchAngel (AA) when I have 5 Evangelism stacks PREEMPTIVELY is really important.  You need to know who will take AoE damage AND WHEN to cast your AA, and queue up a PoH on the group that will take said damage.

For some reason other healers really think that disc priests are ridiculously easy to heal with.  I don't really disagree, I think it's EASY to be DECENT.  If you want to be GOOD, you need to know the intricacies of the spec.

If you have any other questions or need help setting up addons or anything let me know!