Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Raserei

[Guardian] Mastery and Resolve

9 posts in this topic

My question today is fairly simple, but one I've yet to find a concrete (or even indirect) answer to.  Is our mastery as Guardian druids affected by Resolve?  By the wording in each tool tip the answer seems like it should be yes, but the numbers I see in dungeons/raids don't seem to support it, nor does the rather obvious idea that such synergy would be probably far too good.

Anybody able to weigh in on this?

No, Druid mastery is not affected by Resolve. Even though it is an absorb effect, the absorb is a fixed percentage of the attack that triggers it, affected by your Mastery percentage. This is different from the absorbs that Blood Death Knights get from their Death Strikes; they are based on the amount that the ability healed, and so that effect is certainly increased by Resolve. Because Druids get a larger absorb just based on the fact that the attack is bigger, their Mastery does not need to be affected by Resolve to be balanced.

Resolve does affect the amount of healing done by Frenzied Regeneration, Healing Touch (with DoC), Cenarion Ward (but not the other T2 talents), and the absorption from the Tooth & Claw effect.

Resolve only works for Tooth & Claw if the affected target is hitting you though, as with Healing Touch and Cenarion Ward.

Edited by Shedim

Resolve only works for Tooth & Claw if the affected target is hitting you though, as with Healing Touch and Cenarion Ward.

Not exactly. Resolve is a buff that takes into account all damage that is being taken, not just primary targets or even merely direct attacks (although there is diminishing returns). The limitation is that the Tooth & Claw proc can only absorb melee damage from the enemy that you apply it to.

You're stating the obvious which makes me think you didn't understand my statement. Tooth & Claw is only affected by Resolve if the target you apply it to is attacking you. Otherwise Tooth & Claw is still consumed, but it doesn't benefit from your Resolve.

It's the same reason your Healing Touch or Cenarion Ward is less powerful if it is applied on someone else. 

Edited by Shedim

You're stating the obvious which makes me think you didn't understand my statement. Tooth & Claw is only affected by Resolve if the target you apply it to is attacking you. Otherwise Tooth & Claw is still consumed, but it doesn't benefit from your Resolve.

It's the same reason your Healing Touch or Cenarion Ward is less powerful if it is applied on someone else. 

Tooth & Claw is applied to the mob that you attack, not to yourself. So if you put it on a mob that never hits you with a melee attack, it will simply expire unused. It can't be consumed by a different mob's attacks, nor can the T&C debuff prevent damage to any other target besides the bear that applies it. I'm not sure about CW and HT - I'm not aware of any reason why Resolve should not boost their effectiveness on other targets as well as on yourself. That said, if you are actively tanking and benefitting from Resolve, I'm hard pressed to imagine why you would want to use CW or HT on targets other than yourself, since you are the one taking the majority of the damage. These abilities should always be reserved for self-healing.

Please get your facts straight before you start correcting me.

Tooth and Claw is a debuff applied to your target. The debuff is consumed the next time that target hits something, whether that is you, the other tank or someone else. However, Tooth and Claw absorbs up to 240% more damage if the target is hitting you, because it is then affected by resolve. 

Same thing goes for Cenarion Ward and Healing Touch. They are only affected by resolve if they are used to heal yourself. It is still useful to use them on other targets from time to time and any bear tank should have a mouseover macro for these abilities, so you can eventually save raid members and typically the other tank from dying if need be.

Edited by Shedim

If T&C can prevent damage on your co-tank, then that is a change to functionality that I was not aware of. When I was last actively raiding in 5.4, I could use Maul while my off-tank had the boss' attention, and it would keep stacking on itself until I taunted and started taking melee damage.

I've played bear since MoP and it was still like that back then. It offers you a unique tool to help your co-tank mitigate a bit of damage.