FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Chuckles

Necroblight -- LF Deeper Understanding

Hey all.

So, my DK is not my main first-off, but may become my main in future tiers.  I have been using him mainly as a back-up tank for my prior guild and that was it.  I just started using my DK for DPS about 2-3 weeks ago.

Here are some logs from the last couple of weeks: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/guilds/usercalendar/152819

My armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/malganis/Chuckling/advanced

I have noticed that my DPS is competitive to most DKs that outgear me (usually with their 4pc + better trinkets).  That being said, when I look at the spell usage, how I am playing the Necroblight spec is wildly different than how they are playing it.

Any advice on how to get further optimize my output would be greatly appreciated.  If you can do so on a fight-by-fight breakdown, that would be even more helpful.

Feel free to ask any questions if you need further clarification about anything.

Thanks.

was looking at your logs, and would like to see some more single target logs, cause on aoe logs, you look kind of solid,

on AOE fights, you need to use your BB instead of your FS normally, though initially when you start the fight you're gonna be stuck with 2 frost runes, that you need to spend with icy touch in order to turn them into death runes and you can spam BB (While still keeping your plague on the targets! that's important)

you're not too far away from our main dk in my guild which is pulling 50k on hc beastlord, so you're okay on aoe.

looking at your single target fights (H&F) i see that you don't use your SS as often as you should.

try downloading a solid rune management addon and use FS ONLY on blood\frost runes, unless your plague has ~15 sec left in which case you need to ask yourself 2 things

1.is my UB about to go off cooldown? - in which case i would not use FS, i would wait 15 sec, use UB and use 2xFS in order to make my next plague last longer

2.if my UB is not going off cooldown, am i gonna get blood\frost runes soon? if so you can wait 5 sec and cast FS if not, i would use my death runes to prolong my plague.

SS is a much higher priority than FS since it deals much more dmg, if you look at dk longs you will see that SS is normally 2nd when you look at your  dmging abilities.

and the third thing is that you should try to focus on using your SR ALOT more, especially on fights like beastlord where his pets go on low health everytime you need to make him dismount.

fight-byfight breakdown would be:

- 5-6 sec before fight army of the dead

- 1-2 sec before fight pre-pot, trinkets, death's advance if you have it

- boss fight starts - summon gargoyle, outbreak, UB

if you look at your runes now, you have 2 blood runes, 2 frost runes, 2 unholy runes.

-2x SS

-2x FS

(if death coil proced, use it right away as you will have timmy faster)

-dump runic power on death coil while runes are recharging

(you now have all your runes recharging and about to get 4x death runes and 2x unholy runes)

-6x FS

(use death coil untill you can summon timmy)

and now the fights goes on while you use FS only if you have blood\frost runes or if you're plague if about to run out,in which case you use it on 2x death runes \ blood-death runes\ frost-death runes

hope i was helpfull =]

Zi

my rotation is not solid, but i know i am on a good path there tongue.png wouldn't mind answering questions in game too (Zikandpa#2886)

Edited by zikandpa

I only really looked at Gruul, but the first thing I noticed is that your soul reaper usage is really low. You should be using it on CD (Save runes for it, I generally make sure that I always have 1 Unholy or Death rune up at all times once under 45% health on the boss)

also it's not a huge increase, but you should be using army of dead on every boss pull. (Glyph it not to taunt.) make sure tanks are doing a 10sec count down and cast it around 8/7 seconds left.You also don't use str pots. Use one at 2 seconds till pull and then again sometime under 45% (if lust is at the start then I usually use my second pot right at 40% or so, if it's saved then just use it when lust is used.)

also you only used unholy blight 2 times in the fight but have 97% uptime on necrotic. You need to let it fall off so you can reapply every time unholy is off CD otherwise you're spending too many runes on keeping it up. (In my own gruul fight with about the same dps and only 667 ilvl i had 4 unholy blights to your 2.) 

You have 3 AMS so I assume you're using that correctly to generate runic power. 

Thank you all for the advice.

Log :: Heroic Maidens :: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/YbVkA7vMQ1zhmTKZ/

I just did Heroic Maidens.  I was focusing more on SR uptime and making sure that I wasn't use FS moronically.  I was paying alot more attention to my UB timing and whenever I had a dropoff of NP and UB wasn't up, I did OB and then did PS to get back up to 15 stacks quickly.

All in all, pulled 41k dps on the fight with a death (bad tanks standing on turrents in P3...).  Not too bad.

Edited by Chuckles

so are you happy with the result or not?

and by looking at your maidens logs, you still some much needed little changes, i looked at my own logs on maidens, same length of fight, thought i'm ilvl 680.

my dps is obviously lower than yours but i'm looking at casts or prioritized spells.

over the 12 min fight:

- you cast SS 136 times,

- i casted it 184 times, that's 50 x ~24k dmg which is insane

that's about the main difference when i compare both our logs and its important you understand that SS is top priority.

unless plague is going to end\you can sue SR obviously.

another thing, there is a big debate about the effectivity of blood boil compared to SS on 3 targets,

when comparing numbers, blood boil beats SS by a really small number,

and the reason i would personally use SS on maidens is because i find AOE rotation to be a little bit more complicated for some reason.

when i'm in a fight i usually spam my SS button in order to cast it the second i have a rune charged unless i'm planning on using 2 death runes to prolong my plague.

(if you have unholy runes up, use them for you SS so you don't have too much down time.)

so are you happy with the result or not?

and by looking at your maidens logs, you still some much needed little changes, i looked at my own logs on maidens, same length of fight, thought i'm ilvl 680.

my dps is obviously lower than yours but i'm looking at casts or prioritized spells.

over the 12 min fight:

- you cast SS 136 times,

- i casted it 184 times, that's 50 x ~24k dmg which is insane

that's about the main difference when i compare both our logs and its important you understand that SS is top priority.

unless plague is going to end\you can sue SR obviously.

another thing, there is a big debate about the effectivity of blood boil compared to SS on 3 targets,

when comparing numbers, blood boil beats SS by a really small number,

and the reason i would personally use SS on maidens is because i find AOE rotation to be a little bit more complicated for some reason.

when i'm in a fight i usually spam my SS button in order to cast it the second i have a rune charged unless i'm planning on using 2 death runes to prolong my plague.

(if you have unholy runes up, use them for you SS so you don't have too much down time.)

On the maidens I prefer single targeting scourge strike over blood boiling. Blood boil does sneak out a squeaky bit more dps but it comes down to the fight mechanics. You need the third boat down before they hit 20% or you mess up the encounter. I find necrotic plague plus blood boil grinds them down a little bit too fast. This vs scourge striking and just focusing on which ever boss has the highest hp at that moment. Just makes the fight flow a little bit better and leads to less panicky boss switching

That being said the logs on maidens looks great :D

On the maidens I prefer single targeting scourge strike over blood boiling. Blood boil does sneak out a squeaky bit more dps but it comes down to the fight mechanics. You need the third boat down before they hit 20% or you mess up the encounter. I find necrotic plague plus blood boil grinds them down a little bit too fast. This vs scourge striking and just focusing on which ever boss has the highest hp at that moment. Just makes the fight flow a little bit better and leads to less panicky boss switching

That being said the logs on maidens looks great biggrin.png

That is a matter of opinion. When the group is around 680-685 you should be generally able to get them below 20% BEFORE 3rd ship is up. BB is ok when you can hit all 3 at once (i.e. none is on ship and Sorka is not jumping back and forth). Just make sure you switch to SS in the last phase where you really need single target. But at that point, you probably already farm  HC Maidens on regular basis and everybody knows what they are doing smile.png

Edited by simpetar

That is a matter of opinion. When the group is around 680-685 you should be generally able to get them below 20% BEFORE 3rd ship is up. BB is ok when you can hit all 3 at once (i.e. none is on ship and Sorka is not jumping back and forth). Just make sure you switch to SS in the last phase where you really need single target. But at that point, you probably already farm  HC Maidens on regular basis and everybody knows what they are doing smile.png

Absolutely a matter of opinion :D Sadly my guild only has about 50% a dedicated team and we have to pug the rest. We'll invite like mythic geared hunters and they will be doing 20k dps. Pugs are so bad T_T