FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
gumble85

Resto Druid tips and help

Hi guys and gals,

First things first. I love druid heals currently. Very OP even at my current ilvl of 638. Nothing to brag at either, but still very good heals.

My problem is due to the lvl 100 mana and only having 1,236 spirit currently i am running out of mana often on fights. I am fairly new to the healer role due to being tank or dps mostly all my world of Warcraft life.

I have noticed i spam regrowth a lot mostly to renew the hot of lifebloom, but i have a glyph of rejuvenation and as long as i have that and my germination (second rejuv) spell on a target i get a 10% reduction in healing touch cast time which i have not been utilizing due to the fact one. I keep forgetting about the glyph and two the healing touch takes so long to cast. Currently 2.24 seconds. Plus regrowth adds an additional hot so this is why i don't use healing touch as much.

Armory toon profile -> http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/nagrand/Bulldock/advanced

Any pointers, help and/or advice would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance.

I mean, what kind of content are you running?  That is whats gonna matter more.. If you're doing dungeons or LFR then it really doesn't matter what you do.

If you're doing raids, like the fact is, you just have to learn to play around your mana.  There's no secret 'tips and tricks' for saving mana, just comes with experience and knowing where to put the right heals and when.  I would remove the rejuv glyph and replace it with the Wild Growth Glyph.

If you're doing raids, providing some logs from warcraftlogs would immensely help us help you. 

Next, without having logs, the best I can say is just don't spam Wild Growth on cooldown, and pace yourself with your rejuv usage, pre-hot tanks but don't waste it on other people when there's not a lot of damage going out.  Healing touch is next to useless, but its ok to use when theres very low damage and you want to spot heal or save mana.

Use your free regrowths to refresh your lifebloom, or use it to heal someone that needs it if you can and just manually refresh lifebloom.

Like I said before, the best thing you can do for your mana is just practice with your playstyle.  Pace yourself when using rejuv and know your limits as well as adjusting based on the damage coming out on the raid.

Hi mate,

Yeah it's just LFR for now, but trying to see where i am at. I am avging about 17k HPS at 638 ilvl (without tree of life) not sure if this is good or not, but yeah. If it wasn't just lfr and low gear i would be more worried.

But yeah. I was definitely thinking about removing rejuv glyph for wild growth.

I also will admit i am a cd wild growth spammer and when i looked at the wild growth earlier mana cost i nearly had a heart attack lol. So i can definitely save a lot of mana by reducing the amount of spam i do of that.

I always pre-hot tanks. I place lifebloom, then rejuv and second rejuv (germination) and then just hot them with regrowth and they go in not being effected by much at first swipe by mobs or boss.

There is a lot more to this than the standard dps or tank spec compared to healing. :)

Thanks again for the advice. I will sort this out soon.

Hi,

I'm 691 resto druid and currently 10/10H BRF progressing into mythic.

First, for raid you should use the wild growth glyph as there are a lot of raid wide damage.

Don't spam your wild growth. For me i sit at 2000+ spirit and i save more mana by casting rejuvenation 6 times than wild growth once. You just gotta know the fight and know when to use it.

Your opening is correct however dont forget to cast mushrooms too. You need the minor glyph so you can place it far from you. Use regrowth when it procs. Use ironbark if you think they are taking too much damage instead of spamming regrowth. 

Make sure your mastery passive: Harmony is up all the time as it increases your healing. Look at how much rejuvenation heals before and after you proc it (by casting regrowth or healing touch).

Use Nature's swiftness to save mana too and swiftmend when tanks take heaps of damage instead of casting regrowth. 

I prefer not using Dream of Cenarius talent. I take heart of the wild as it really boosts your tranqulity healing (also you can combine it with trinket). I find that using wrath to heal isn't enough and ain't worth it. It does depend on the fights but for beginners it can ruin with your rotation and make you do less heals overall. 

SO overall try to just heal with rejuvenation. use regrowth only when someone take huge amount of damage and needs topped up. 

Here is a link to my profile -> http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/thaurissan/Hunkim/simple

P.S. I go mix haste and mastery because haste increases your base heal of rejuvenation while mastery increases rejuvenation heal once harmony is proced. But there will be situations where you wont have it proced by moving and stuff so i like having that increase in the base heal. It also decreases the cast time of wild growth and regrowth. I use regrowth glyph so i have 100% crit chance when using it. 

Also pace your healing (and therefore mana) by looking at the boss's HP. If boss's HP is at 50%, you want your mana to be above 50%. if it is below, you are using too much mana so decrease the spamming of your heal. Always take into account that you have a mana potion which is about 20% of your mana pool. Certain fights might take your mana from 80% to say 20% in a certain phase so think if you have enough mana for that fight and so on.

Edited by kimboy11

Your opening is correct however dont forget to cast mushrooms too.

'Opening'? There's no 'Opener' to a healer nor did he mention that he did one.  While its true that you should have mushroom down, you have no way or reason to know what he is actually doing without logs.  If he provides some logs (even LFR) I can tell him if hes doing something terribly wrong mechanically.

Make sure your mastery passive: Harmony is up all the time as it increases your healing. 

Again, this is true, but without logs we can't know for certain if hes actually doing this.

I prefer not using Dream of Cenarius talent. I take heart of the wild as it really boosts your tranqulity healing (also you can combine it with trinket). I find that using wrath to heal isn't enough and ain't worth it. It does depend on the fights but for beginners it can ruin with your rotation and make you do less heals overall.

While I agree DoC is terrible for actual throughput, it helps a lot to give you a reason to save mana. You can literally save the same amount of mana without DoC but just using Wrath like you would with it, but it does nothing for your personal healing (note to everyone: your personal healing).

I'm not saying you're wrong about DoC, I agree it does nothing significant for the raid when it matters, but the problem I have about you saying 'rotation'.  There is no healing 'rotation'. Pre-hotting is not a rotation. Its instinct and experience that you can only attain by practice and sometimes watching what how other people heal.

P.S. I go mix haste and mastery because haste increases your base heal of rejuvenation while mastery increases rejuvenation heal once harmony is proced. But there will be situations where you wont have it proced by moving and stuff so i like having that increase in the base heal. It also decreases the cast time of wild growth and regrowth. I use regrowth glyph so i have 100% crit chance when using it.

Haste is better than mastery at the moment and you wont lose anything by going pure haste.  If you keep getting some mastery in other places, you'll have enough to help support that haste.  (I.e. haste > mastery of same ilvl)

Also pace your healing (and therefore mana) by looking at the boss's HP. If boss's HP is at 50%, you want your mana to be above 50%. if it is below, you are using too much mana so decrease the spamming of your heal. 

This may work for beginners, but its not really a mentality you want when you're healing actual difficult content. I'm doing Mythic Blast furnace, and while I know I'm in the minority for this happening, I'm usually already past 20% mana by the time we start phase 2. If i were to do this, my whole raid would probably die and my other healers would have strained their mana even more.

A better rule of thumb is, pace your healing with the amount of damage going out.  If more healing is required, do it.  When healing isn't required, that is the time you regen mana with wrath or just sitting there.

Pacing yourself is super important as a resto druid, especially for our mana, but there's no clear cut way / answer for doing it. It comes with practice and knowing your own playstyle. How do you heal? are you aggressive? are you passive? Do you blanket with rejuv? are you more selective or somewhere in between?  Should you change how you heal based on the encounter or even your group? (yes).  Theres a lot to think about, but it comes naturally after experience.

Greetings!

I'm Shoddy and I raid with a 691 restoration druid. Currently 2/10 mythic.

First, there is 2 different healing spec for restoration druids.

There is Wrath spam spec and spot heal spec. The Spot heal spec prioritizes haste as the main spec and your primary spells are Hots, Shroom Circle, and Healing Touch.

The wrath spam's main stat is mastery and your primary concern is gaining the Soul of the Forrest buff, then using Wild Growth. Both druids in my guild prefer to use the Wrath Spam Spec because you almost always have mana and it puts out high HPS.

In either spec If you want to boost your HPS, it's all about Logs. Find a a few really good restoration druids raid logs and compare your healing spells to theirs. Look at the % their healing touch, wild growth, rejuvenation, mushroom, etc... that makes up their total healing and COPY THEM.

Druids aren't the best tank healers, but they are the best AOE raid healer. For that reason I see my role as more of a healers assistant than a main healer... I always keep a Hot or two on the tanks sure, but I'm mostly just healing raid damage with my wild Growth, mushroom circle, and wrath spam. I use regrowth, rejuvenation, and germination only when necessary. Using them too often drains your mana. I never use healing touch and exclusively use regrowth with the regrowth glyph that makes it crit more. But Regrowth is costly to mana so only use it when you NEED it or it is free.

Please feel free to hit me up in game, I'm happy to explain wrath spam spec via voice chat  biggrin.png   Shoddy-Daggerspine or ErikB#1155