FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
angikoneko

Question Concerning Resto Shaman Stat Priority

I have a question concerning Resto Shaman stat priorities.

I've been researching various sites to better understand my shaman and to improve my healing capabilities. And I've come across a small issue that I hoping you guys could help clarify for me.

Noxxic and Wowhead have guides saying the best stat priority is:

Intellect > Crit > Mastery > Multistrike > Versatility > Haste > Spirit

IcyVeins and AskMr.Robbot say the best stat priority is:

Intellect > Spirit > Mastery > Haste > Multistrike=Crit > Versatility

My current gear is not fully up to date, as my MS is Enhanc and so my Resto set is a little piece-meal with whatever I can aquire (I am currently raiding N-H BRF every week). I want to start refining it, and that means settling on a stat priority. But I've got two very different priorities here, and I don't know which one is better, or if it depends on a particular ilvl/raid comp/raid difficulty. I can see advantages to both, but I wanted to get your opinions on it.

The icyveins/askmr robot is the mathematical correct 1. How noxxic and wowhead get the numbers i dont know but that stat priority doesnt make sense.

My opinion:

Stat priority is never a set given as healer and depends on the duration and the damage in a fight a lot.

Intellect: Always the best stat by far.

Spirit: If you find yourself oom in the fight this is the second best stat. I usually switch spirit trinkets with non-spirit trinkets depending on the duration and how healing intensive the fight is. 

Mastery: I believe the math said if the raid is below 60% this is the best secondary stat, above 60% it drops off. So if you are in progress mastery tends to be the best stat as people are taking a lot of damage. On farm bosses the stat will drop off in value.

Haste: Gives more hot ticks and lets you cast faster/more at price of more mana spending. Haste is the best stat if the raid on farm bosses and short bosses. You won't get oom and you might get heals off just before the other healers do. 

Crit: In theorie very good, however most often crits will be massive overhealing. Decent in fights where raids are low and the crits will be mostly effective, otherwise it will still give you some little mana back.

Multistrike: Not as much raw healing as crit will give you and you wont get mana back, however when you get a multistrike proc it will often be effective healing because it spread to different players for a low amount. I feel like this is always fine to have with perhaps a slight positive for farm bosses to get the effective healing

Versatility: Just doesn't give you the healing output that other stats give you. It actually isn't a terrible stat at all because if gives damage reduction as well. However people don't care as much about damage taken so versatility is the worst stat.

Conclusion:

Spirit is the best secondary if you need it, depending on how much you need it it will slowly drop lower and lower in your stat priority. Fill in the spirit for yourself smile.png

On farm:  Intellect > Haste > Mastery > Multistrike > Crit > Versa

For progress: Intellect > Mastery > Haste > Crit > Multistrike > Versa

Edited by Feldar

Feldar is completely right in his post.

I don't have a clue where from wowhead and Noxxic took their priorities either.

If you want to go further in math, you can check this section - this discussion was already here for 3-4 times in the last half of the year. I addition you can read Stoove's posts about stats in his blog and check Hamlet's HealerCalcs for modeling and better understanding of secondary stats interaction with your healing.