FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Skurvy87

Rogue Oil/Dragon/Malygos

I've been pondering the thought of creating a combo oil/dragon rogue deck and using Malygos to boost the spell power of the oil combo.

I'm by no means an experienced deck builder and have only reached rank 12 last season but it seems like we could take the core of the oil rogue and add Malygos and dragon cards to create a new style of deck.

Thoughts?

I think you should go for it! Malygos may be too slow for a traditional Rogue deck, but I'm in favor of experimentation, especially if it involves dragons. I would love to see dragon decks become part of the meta. Plus I'm in favor of having fun (which I'm afraid might be a new concept for some). I say try it out and let us know how it goes!

Do you think I should cut the SI:7 agents for the Blackwing Technicians? The Blackwing Corrupter would do kinda the same thing, but much more expensive.

Fine tuning a deck requires extensive play. I think Blackwing Technician is great as long as you have enough dragons to justify it, but you may want to try out the deck both ways to see which works better overall. Undoubtedly each card can be stronger/weaker than the other depending on the match-up, the board state, when the card is drawn, etc. There are a ton of variables, so I think it's a good idea to play a deck several times before you make changes.  

If you want the deck to focus on dragon synergy then I say include the Technicians. After playing with it several times, you may decide that they are working great, or you may notice that the SI:7 Agents would have been more helpful.

I would never take out SI:7 for the Blackwing Technician. SI is easier and more consistant to activate and the effect is usually better.

I would never take out SI:7 for the Blackwing Technician. SI is easier and more consistant to activate and the effect is usually better.

I would never say never. SI is definitely valuable in the right deck and has proven to be a strong play in Oil Rogue. I'm not sure if it's truly easier to activate, however. To play SI on curve with the combo effect you need a zero-cost spell. Yes, you can use the coin, but what if you went first? And, yes, Rogue has some great zero-cost spells such as Backstab, but what if you haven't drawn them yet? 

I'm not saying that SI isn't a good card - in fact, I think it's great! However, I think it may actually be easier to activate the buff for Blackwing Technician than the combo effect on SI. Assuming you have a dragon-heavy deck, the probability of you having ANY dragon in your hand by turn 3 is really good. And you don't have to play anything beforehand - you simply lay down the Technician and you have a 3/5 minion on turn 3. That's a powerful play! Is it as powerful as getting the combo with SI:7? Maybe not, but I think it's just as easy if not easier to activate.

Getting back to the original point, we already know that SI:7 is a strong card for Oil Rogue. But part of the fun with Hearthstone is playing with new cards and trying out different possibilities. Especially for a Dragon Rogue deck, I think experimenting with Blackwing Technician would be worth the time.

Edited by Darb

Well I haven't really tried to make this deck. I instead made a Dragon Priest deck and it's been working great for me so far:

Dragon Priest:

2x Power Word: Shield

2x Northshire Cleric

2x Zombie Chow

1x Shadow Word: Pain

2x Shrinkmeister

2x Shadow Word: Death

1x Thoughtsteal

2x Velen's Chosen

2x Blackwing Technician

1x Shadow Madness

1x Auchenai Soulpriest

2x Dragonkin Sorcerer

1x Holy Nova

2x  Blackwing Corrupter

1x Lightbomb

2x Cabal Shadow Priest

Sylvannas Windrunner

2x Volcanic Drake

Ysera

Ok, I did make a Dragon Rogue this evening, haven't tried it out yet:

Dragon Rogue:

2x Backstab

2x Preparation

2x Deadly Poison

2x Blade Flurry

2x Eviscerate

2x Sap

1x Shiv

2x Fan of Knives

2x Blackwing Technician

2x SI:7 Agent

2x Tinker's Sharpsword Oil

2x Hungry Dragon

2x Azure Drake

2x Blackwing Corrupter

2x Sprint

Malygos

Ok, I did make a Dragon Rogue this evening, haven't tried it out yet:

Dragon Rogue:

2x Backstab

2x Preparation

2x Deadly Poison

2x Blade Flurry

2x Eviscerate

2x Sap

1x Shiv

2x Fan of Knives

2x Blackwing Technician

2x SI:7 Agent

2x Tinker's Sharpsword Oil

2x Hungry Dragon

2x Azure Drake

2x Blackwing Corrupter

2x Sprint

Malygos

I guess putting in both Blackwing Technician and SI:7 Agent solves the debate above. smile.png Let us know how it works for you!

Tried it once, lost to a regular oil rogue. I've been using my dragon priest deck instead, to great success. Any thoughts on what I could do to improve that one?

If you're having great success with your Dragon Priest deck then I wouldn't be too quick to change it. One thought I have is this - do you have enough dragons to consistently pull off the battlecries for Blackwing Technician and Blackwing Corrupter? I think I counted 5 dragons. If that has been sufficient for you then it may be fine to leave as is. If you could use another dragon or two, Hungry Dragon could be a good inclusion. It seems to me that the 1-mana minion he gives your opponent would be less of a liability in this deck where you have cards such as Shadow Madness, Cabal Shadow Priest, and Achunai Soulpriest to potentially deal with it. I haven't experimented with this myself, so I don't know if it would be an improvement or not, but it may be worth trying.

I'm especially wondering how well Blackwing Corrupter is working. If Ysera is in your hand then you can obviously pull it off well. But if not, you really don't have other dragons with a higher casting cost than Blackwing Corrupter, meaning you are either playing your other dragons later in the game (potentially inefficient) or you are playing Blackwing Corrupter without his battlecry (definitely inefficient). I'm not counting Volcanic Drake here since you don't want to be paying his full 6-mana cost (if you are then I would consider replacing him).

Having said that, keeping Volcanic Drake in your hand until a later turn when you can take out multiple minions and play him for very little can be a great play. For example, using Lightbomb or Holy Nova right before you play Volcanic Drake can be awesome. So keeping Volcanic Drake in your hand to set off Blackwing Corrupter can be potentially strong. Keep in mind, of course, that you don't want to play Lightbomb the turn after playing Blackwing Corrupter if you can avoid it (unless of course your opponent has already taken out the Corrupter).

These are just a few thoughts that hopefully you find helpful. It looks like a fun control deck, one that I might want to try out myself!

My only input here ( for whatever that is worth ) is that you definitely want to play a deck several several times , even against the same matchup before you can tell how good ( or bad ) it is.  I know from personal experience playing with friends sometimes I'll draw PERFECTLY with deck " x " and beat deck " y " even though deck " y " generally destroys deck " x ". While there is FAR more to Hearthstone than simple RNG , sometimes RNG will rear it's head in a single matchup so test your deck out multiple times before making hard calls.

• Like 1

If you're having great success with your Dragon Priest deck then I wouldn't be too quick to change it. One thought I have is this - do you have enough dragons to consistently pull off the battlecries for Blackwing Technician and Blackwing Corrupter? I think I counted 5 dragons. If that has been sufficient for you then it may be fine to leave as is. If you could use another dragon or two, Hungry Dragon could be a good inclusion. It seems to me that the 1-mana minion he gives your opponent would be less of a liability in this deck where you have cards such as Shadow Madness, Cabal Shadow Priest, and Achunai Soulpriest to potentially deal with it. I haven't experimented with this myself, so I don't know if it would be an improvement or not, but it may be worth trying.

I'm especially wondering how well Blackwing Corrupter is working. If Ysera is in your hand then you can obviously pull it off well. But if not, you really don't have other dragons with a higher casting cost than Blackwing Corrupter, meaning you are either playing your other dragons later in the game (potentially inefficient) or you are playing Blackwing Corrupter without his battlecry (definitely inefficient). I'm not counting Volcanic Drake here since you don't want to be paying his full 6-mana cost (if you are then I would consider replacing him).

Having said that, keeping Volcanic Drake in your hand until a later turn when you can take out multiple minions and play him for very little can be a great play. For example, using Lightbomb or Holy Nova right before you play Volcanic Drake can be awesome. So keeping Volcanic Drake in your hand to set off Blackwing Corrupter can be potentially strong. Keep in mind, of course, that you don't want to play Lightbomb the turn after playing Blackwing Corrupter if you can avoid it (unless of course your opponent has already taken out the Corrupter).

These are just a few thoughts that hopefully you find helpful. It looks like a fun control deck, one that I might want to try out myself!

Darb - you are right, I didn't really have enough dragons. I actually replaced the zombie chows with Twilight Whelps which is still a 2-3 and adds an additional 2 dragons. I haven't had enough time to test it in great numbers, but this morning I was 2-1 with the deck.

Darb - you are right, I didn't really have enough dragons. I actually replaced the zombie chows with Twilight Whelps which is still a 2-3 and adds an additional 2 dragons. I haven't had enough time to test it in great numbers, but this morning I was 2-1 with the deck.

I was more concerned about you having enough high-cost dragons that will stay in your hand long enough to set off Blackwing Technician and Blackwing Corrupter (especially the Corrupter at 5 mana). Twilight Whelp is obviously great if you get him out on turn 1 as a 2/3, but his usefulness falls off considerably after that. Zombie Chow can get you off to the same great start, but additionally combos VERY well with the Auchenai Soulpriest you have in the deck. The drawback all of a sudden becomes a great asset. The drawback is never very bothersome for a priest control deck anyway since you won't be looking to damage the opponent until the late game. In short, I'm not sure the Whelps will be an improvement.

My suggestion would be to add one or two high-cost, highly powerful dragons, or perhaps switch out one of the Corrupters for a more reliable card. You could even switch out a Corrupter for a dragon. Chromaggus, maybe? Chromaggus can be great for a control deck as he gives you more resources in the later turns.

Hi there!

I was just googling about "betrayal" and by chance found this topic :)

I've been playing with a Dragon Rogue for awhile cause i wanted to have fun with dragons even if it didn't work at all (it did)

Here's mine (don't play so much so I've never passed through rank 13 with it but.. somebody who is better and plays more will, for sure)

http://i.imgur.com/Akt71ae.jpg

+1x Backstab

+1x Shadowstep

+2x Deadly poison

I'm almost done with dust to craft a new legendary..that will be Malygos btw..i will switch it for Ysera (or Chromaggus) and maybe tweak it again with more damage spells but don't know yet :)

Hope it helps somebody take care!