FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
ProfessorOak

2h vs DW frost question

Hey guys,

I have a 484 ilvl frost DK I raid with (2h). My weapon is the lfr starshatter(unupgraded). Currently, my dps is really low compared to the rest of my 25 man. I prepot, use trinkets and cd's on cooldown and have done plenty of reading on how to maximize my dk. According to the most recent sims, DW seems to be on-par or better than 2h but without running the same risk of wasting KM procs on frost strike when you want to be using them on obliterate.

As of 5.1, are the two specs more or less equivalent, and if so am I likely to see an overall increase in dps from the lower-risk DW? Or am I currently just being handicapped by a low dps weapon? Please assume my rotation/priority and overall technique are okay and that I miss the occasional KM proc.

Thanks for the help guys.

Do you have any logs you could share with us? I think that would help a lot to see if there is anything you can improve or if this is just a gear issue.

First, I will say that I am nowhere near an expert on frost DK's, I play mine mostly for fun and all, but I looked mostly at the elegon fight, as you said.

One thing that is better to do rather than just comparing you to your whole raid is comparing you to the other 2 frost dk's in your raid, which are both dual wield DK's, and honestly, yes you are slightly under them dps wise, but you are still really close to them overall.

One did I did notice going through the logs is that you don't seem to be using your trinkets and cooldowns enough. For example: You have 2 on use trinkets. You used your Jade figurine twice during that elegon kill, when the trinket has a 1 minute cooldown. On an 8½ minutes fight, you could've used it up to 9 times. Same thing goes for the lessons of the darkmaster, you didn't even use it once during that kill. IN the same range of ideas, you used your pillar of frost 3 times, and I'm pretty sure that this 20% increase in strength could be pretty useful.

One thing that is pretty nice however is your diseases uptime, especially on blood plague. It looks much better than the 2 other Dk's.

As I said, I am no expert on frost dks, but I am pretty sure that if you keep both your trinkets and PoF on cooldown, you're gonna see a pretty decent increase in your dps.

If you keep forgetting about your trinkets and PoF, you can just macro them into Frost strike (that's what I did on my DK). It is not optimal, of course, because it would be a bit better if you could choose when to use them axectly, but it is still better to mindlessy use them like this than to not use them at all.

Of course, if I said any nonsense, anyone feel free to correct me :)

I hope that this was at least a bit helpful for you, and if you have any questions or comment I can answer, I will gladly do so :)

Its funny because I had to go and say something like, "Assume im playing properly". I actually have a macro that uses my cooldowns (trinkets, PoF) in a particular order. We are asked to save cd's for the final orb phases so I tend to hold on to them a bit until they're needed. When I DO use them I think my macro isn't firing correctly, ill be looking at it soon. Thanks for the info though, Ill try working on that.

You raid may be asking you to save your burst for orb phases, but you could be using them before that and still have them up for orb phases. Also save army for after second orb phase going into final phase to get the most dmg out of them.