FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Sargerik

A little help for a new Gaurdian

I was just wondering how Bear tanking is in WOD as i really havent ever played it or the druid as a main . I have noticed that in 6.2 SD got a 20% dmg reduction added to it , which is a nice touch and much needed from what i understand , which makes it seem to play much like a warriors shield block .

Pulverize seems to be our only viable lvl 100 talent with its 15% dmg reduction and pretty ez up-time on it , and then mixing in Bark skin and Survival instincts we can pretty much smooth out our incoming dmg .

Which brings me to Frenzied regen as it seems rather lack luster unless it scales with our resolve which plz if im wrong seems to work like a DK'S blood shield as it scales with our last 10 sec of incoming dmg and even then id rather use cenarion ward to heal myself and use the rage on working in SD . 

I havent quite figured out when to use our lvl 75 talents as they all seem meh at best and they dont really seem to be really of any use as a utility when you can take into account the prot warriors lvl 75 talents ,paladins, or even a DK's all have better utility and use.

These are just some of the things ive noticed since dinging 100 and really sinking my teeth into the class / spec and if im wrong or misunderstanding please let me know and any tips would be lovely as im currently running normal dungeons and im having some issues with keeping myself alive , which im guessing is me being noob to tanking and under geared and some poor healers...

First off, welcome to bear. By the numbers, we have the smoothest damage intake of any tank, plus with Heart of the Wild we have the capability of bringing some impressive burst damage in Cat Form. Yes, you heard me right.. One of the hallmarks of being a good Druid is using your shape shifting when the situation calls for it! (See also Displacer Beast for another great example)

Frenzied Regeneration shines in difficult raid content, when the incoming damage is high, as it scales with Resolve and can heal for very large amounts right when you need it. Cenarion Ward is good, but it must be used preemptively, so I tend to prefer Renewal as an additional emergency button, or Ysera's Gift as a solid default that will make itself useful whenever it can.

Don't worry about performance in normal dungeons. I've healed and tanked them on several characters, and the demand that this content puts on players is disproportionate to the item level most players have going in, no matter what your class. You would be better served doing Timewalking or Heroic Dungeons until you have sufficient item level to raid. Don't forget that you need to pass Silver Proving Grounds before you enter a Heroic.

thank you very much for replying to my post , i have been having a VERY hard time staying alive in normal dungeons , and its really frustrating me to the point of leaving my Bear alone . I have passed the silver proving grounds and im sitting at an ilvl of 606 and cant even imagine how heroics will be if im having a hard time in normal.

I'm feeling extremely squishy and at some point soon ill post some logs of my runs just so maybe i can get some proper feed back , which i hope will shine some light as to why im having the issues im having so i can correct them.

Again is it me or as i stated before but our lvl 75 tier of talents seem very meh at best and dont really serve a great purpose and seem very situational at best...

thank you very much for replying to my post , i have been having a VERY hard time staying alive in normal dungeons , and its really frustrating me to the point of leaving my Bear alone . I have passed the silver proving grounds and im sitting at an ilvl of 606 and cant even imagine how heroics will be if im having a hard time in normal.

When I had to tank normals at low gear level ( I was ~600 as well with my alt) I've noticed one simple thing - your healer has to do atleast 10-15k, which ramps up to 20k+ on heroic. It's just a simple hps requirement to keep everyone alive. If your healer can't pull more than 10k healing on you (or to be more precise, your damage taken is more than 10k/sec) it's healers fault. I'd say there's nothing you can do about it, but you actually can - Frienzied regeneration :) There are situations where this ability simply shines. Like Kromog in BRF - frienzied regen after slam (on HC) heals for 200k, i'd guess it goes up to 300k on mythic. So healing 33~50% of your total hp for 60 rage (and 3 stacks with tier17) is quite good i'd say :) You could try pushing PG as it doesn't have ilvl requirement (or i'm not aware of one) as mobs get scaled to your ilvl. So PG could be a practise ground for you - it teaches how to plan your CDs, have add control and even effectively kite. But however do not take it for granted - I've done 36 waves on my first try (690~ilvl) but i'm quite awful tank ^.^

Bears are completely viable at all levels of content. Cutting-edge guilds like Envy and Paragon use their bear tanks, Dex and Sejta respectively, for first kills on a regular basis. Leather tanks are also highly desirable in raid comps as they do not compete with the more common plate tanks for loot, and Monks are still even more uncommon than Druid tanks. Also, as tanks go, the rotation is quite simple which always helped me as I could pay more attention to what was happening. There are many reasons to be a bear, so work on being a better bear, rather than trying to find something better than a bear. Nothing beats bear.

I agree with Pinkis that normal dungeons in WoD are a serious healer check. My Shaman and Disc Priest both ran themselves out of mana trying to keep tanks alive, even well-geared ones. In Heroics the situation improves because the average item level of the players is much higher, so an inexperienced or undergeared tank won't stand out as much.

ok since i started this post i am now ilvl 648 from doing tannann jungle and running timewalking instances and WHAT A DIFFERENCE some gear has made. I am finding it much smoother and more enjoyable now that im no longer getting crushed by mobs and using my mitigation much more efficently and effectively thanks for your input and talking me off a ledge