FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
VenerableTurkey

Chaos Bolt Management

I'm not sure how many embers I need to have and when I need to fire off a chaos bolt. I'm using CR and GoS. Anyone have a baseline for how many embers to keep in the mag and when to dumb them?

I'm not sure how many embers I need to have and when I need to fire off a chaos bolt. I'm using CR and GoS. Anyone have a baseline for how many embers to keep in the mag and when to dumb them?

The main concept of Destruction is to spend your resources as efficiently as possible without capping. Any time you can dump resources under powerful procs you want to do so.

As such you want to hover around 3 embers (give or take) and avoid casting unbuffed Chaos Bolts where possible, and whenever you get a proc like Legendary Ring or Trinket you want to dump.

There are exceptions however and it requires knowledge of the encounter at hand. If a very important add is about to spawn (e.g. Socrethar) in a few seconds, you may want to hold off dumping 3 embers on a ring proc to help blow up the add. Similarly if an AoE phase is about to occur (e.g. Kromog) you will want to make sure you can sustain a FnB rotation right off the bat.

Again on something like Tyrant you may want to bank embers for Havoc and triple shadowburning a low HP add onto the boss.

To be a good Warlock you need to be constantly evaluating the situation and thinking ahead - the decisions aren't always black and white and locking yourself into a set of rules can lead to problems. 

I hope the above helped.

• Like 1

That's tragic. Lock community losing out big time. Sucky.

To make it a little worse, Zag has cancelled his sub too.

Game isn't fun enough anymore.  The logistics of the game have made it not worth my time.  Still poking around here while things are relevant to help people, but work on DI and here is going to slow to a halt.

• Like 1

The main concept of Destruction is to spend your resources as efficiently as possible without capping. Any time you can dump resources under powerful procs you want to do so.

As such you want to hover around 3 embers (give or take) and avoid casting unbuffed Chaos Bolts where possible, and whenever you get a proc like Legendary Ring or Trinket you want to dump.

There are exceptions however and it requires knowledge of the encounter at hand. If a very important add is about to spawn (e.g. Socrethar) in a few seconds, you may want to hold off dumping 3 embers on a ring proc to help blow up the add. Similarly if an AoE phase is about to occur (e.g. Kromog) you will want to make sure you can sustain a FnB rotation right off the bat.

Again on something like Tyrant you may want to bank embers for Havoc and triple shadowburning a low HP add onto the boss.

To be a good Warlock you need to be constantly evaluating the situation and thinking ahead - the decisions aren't always black and white and locking yourself into a set of rules can lead to problems. 

I hope the above helped.

I'm guessing since I don't have any trinkets with procs or the class ring that procs, I don't have sufficient buffs to do sustained DPS. I find myself relying on the weapon enchant and DS for my procs and they are too few in number to only CB when they're up.