FORUMS
Odinn

WoW: Legion details at gamescom: Interview with Tom Chilton & Ion Hazzikostas

13198-wow-legion-interview-with-tom-chil

The Icy Veins team sat down with Tom Chilton and Ion Hazzikostas from the WoW development team to ask questions about Demon Hunters, Artifacts, the story in Legion, and what to expect for changing game play in the new expansion.

Note: Icy Veins shared this interview time with Wowfan.cz, and some of the things we present here were answers to their questions.

Here is what we learned:

SiZh9BV.png

Demon Hunters

• As it stands, Demon Hunters are slated to wear Leather armor. The developers used to feel that having too many classes on one armor type could cause problems, but as the game has moved towards Personal Loot, that has become less of an issue.
  • An all-new weapon type, Glaives, will be the only weapon type that Demon Hunters can use. They are a weapon 'pair' that comes together and fills both hand slots. Having only one available weapon type for the class will not be an issue in Legion, as you mostly focus on your Artifact throughout this expansion. In the future, Demon Hunters might eventually dual wield the 'standard' agility weapon types.
  • Demon Hunter starting level has not been set, but a starting level between 95-100 is currently being debated (as it is a Hero Class). It's "hard to imagine a Level 1 Demon Hunter running around Elwynn Forest."

wNDw1Hy.png

Artifacts

• You obtain your Artifact early on in the Legion experience. This is the weapon you will use throughout the expansion. You will not get weapon drops in Legion. Something that wasn't mentioned during the reveal is that each Artifact has a number of Relic slots, which will determine its raw item stats (DPS, ilvl, etc.) and modifiers to the traits you've chosen, so the Artifact's stats will still improve as you defeat bosses.
  • It will be very important to see how the story plays out regarding Artifacts that come from characters like Tirion. No spoilers!
  • Existing Legendary weapons (and items) are unchanged. Artifacts will be presented differently. There will not be any Legendary weapons in Legion.

Update: Artifacts can still be transmogrified into other items! Other items cannot be transmogrified into Artifacts.

r8HDx04.png

Story Line

• This is the main universe Illidan. There is no 'alternate universe' Azeroth going on. Gul'dan was banished through the Twisting Nether into our world, into our time today. The scene where Gul'dan discovered and awoke Illidan is part of the Demon Hunter experience and why the Legion is at this place - they came specifically for Illidan. "Maiev was out at the pub." tongue.png
  • The only time you spend inside the Emerald Nightmare is in the raid zone. Its influence will be felt outside, but only the raid takes place inside the Nightmare. The Emerald Dream/Nightmare might be expanded on further in the future.
  • The Mists of Pandaria story saw the Horde expelled from Dalaran, but with Khadgar as the leader of the Kirin Tor, he has worked with the Horde and feels responsible for Gul'dan, and wants help from both sides.
  • Asked if Wrathion will be back, as he foretold the coming of the Legion? "We'll see."
  • Karazhan's brief appearance in the cinematic teaser was important. Karazhan is an 'important place'.
  • Dalaran is more or less lifted from Wrath of the Lich King, and will be a neutral capital city for both factions. For game play purposes, it will still also be in Northrend - it won't be 'moved' the way it was for Wrath. Some things will have changed.
  • Regarding the new Violet Hold and other Dalaran changes, the devs noted that Dalaran has some ancient purposes that weren't fully understood, and it is affected by being brought this close to the Tomb of Sargeras.

scGLQM0.png

Game Play

• Classes will evolve in a number of ways in Legion. The development team is looking closely at the core fantasy for each class. Talent changes and class changes are being made - stay tuned. The PvP talent system also gives the developers room to take PvP-type talents out of the current talent trees. PvP talents will not function in PvE environments.
  • As an example of class changes, the Survival Hunter 'spear' Artifact was brought up. In Legion, Survival Hunters will be a melee spec that utilizes a pet. To differentiate specializations, the developers will try to de-homogenize the classes. Further to this, Beast Mastery Hunters will fight at range with a pet, while Marksmanship Hunters will fight at range with NO PET.
  • Demonology Warlocks will be masters of summoning and controlling demons. Metamorphosis sort-of came to dominate the class, but the devs are refocusing the spec on demons. Affliction will continue to be about 'decay', and Destruction about 'bursts of fel fire'.
  • No stat squish is planned for Legion. Health numbers are 'fairly high', but that is because health was intentionally increased to manage the feel and flow of healing. DPS is still 'easily an expansion away' from the numbers players were seeing in Siege of Orgrimmar.
  • Professions are getting a lot of new stuff. The professions team for Legion is the largest that Blizzard has ever had for WoW, and they clearly heard the feedback that professions were underutilized in Warlords and overlapped with the Garrisons too much.
  • Realm firsts are not coming back. There was value in some (Ion mentioned things like the first player to beat Brawler's Guild, Mythic guild firsts, etc.), but the general philosophy is to allow players to take their time and enjoy the content at their own pace. Plenty of third parties actively track 'first to 100', etc.

UpdateOther Warlock specializations will not be losing access to demon pets. All three Warlock specs will still utilize demons.

Miscellaneous

• Garrisons are staying in Draenor. If you want to go back and visit them, you can! They were always designed as something that you would leave in Draenor. The developers may revisit the system with something bigger, better, and different in the future.
  • Order Halls are very different - they are a shared multiplayer space. They just happen to be the place you'll go to send your Champions on missions. They don't duplicate the functionality of cities (no AH, no bank) - think Acherus for Death Knights.
  • A release date is not set yet. The full cinematic is being actively worked on, but it isn't quite complete yet.
  • For new players who feel intimidated by the size and scope of the game, the developers feel that the character boost helps get people to playing with their friends faster.

Learn anything you're excited about in this interview? Still new things you're hoping to find out about Legion? Let us know.

Icy Veins gets exclusive details on the upcoming Legion expansion from Tom Chilton & Ion Hazzikostas.

• Like 3

First of all there's some great news and information in the above so great job folks!

I said to a few friends before the reveal that I was more interested in the "features" than the new expansion story / regular content such as zones raids and dungeons.  I feel they've got my attention with artifacts, changes to transmog and the Order Halls.

It's great to hear that the Order Halls will be a class hub without giving players a reason to stay there too long like garrisons (with regards to no AH, bank etc).

From a personal point of view I am really really looking forward to hearing more news about professions.  Hope we get some more info on those in the near future!  Glad they've taken on feedback from WoD as they are in a bad place right now!

Will PvE talents function in PvP enviroments?

Will the honor v3 system start at level 100, or only at max level? There are players who want to level through Battlegrounds only, and would want tot unlock these early on.

They mentioned that they don't want gear to be the deciding factor for PvP, but will the gear play any factor at all in Legion? Is Honor (the currency system) going to be removed so people can buy gear according to their PvP level? 

I think its a great thing that Hunters can become melee, remembered all those melee spell back in WotlK. Wonder if they will be able to stealth via Camo, giving them a true Hunter-like feeling.

Demonology Warlocks becomes more like BM Hunters, are we going to see a massive imp swarm? 2 Infernals?

Edited by Archimage

Raptor strike memories!

*Peelyon runs into melee range uses Raptor Strike*

"Peelyon what are you doing?! Did you run out of ammo AGAIN??!"

uhm maybe?!

• Like 1

Rare Patron

I'm pretty excited about the class changes! I want there to be more differences between the hunter specs, for instance. My main is a hunter, so I'm not 100% sure whether I'd want to be a melee pet spec, but what is really cool is I could switch as needed, for example, if the raid needed more melee over range for some reason (though range can still hang out with melee, I know :P).

I'm also excited for Demonology to go back to focusing on demons instead of Meta; I honestly didn't like Meta, which is the biggest reason I didn't like playing the spec (going Destro most of the time instead). I loved ALL THE IMPS so I'm excited to see how that changes in 7+!

i have so many questions about the expac.

will feral druids with claws of shirvallah still have the new updated catform?

will the artifact weapon traits be active/balanced in pvp?

do i still earn conquest gear (and weapons) from arenas/rbgs or is pvp gear gone completely?

i focus on those for now. im excited but also a little bit worried

An all-new weapon type, Glaives, will be the only weapon type that Demon Hunters can use. They are a weapon 'pair' that comes together and fills both hand slots. Having only one available weapon type for the class will not be an issue in Legion, as you mostly focus on your Artifact throughout this expansion. In the future, Demon Hunters might eventually dual wield the 'standard' agility weapon types

Are you sure it's that they're the only weapon that DHs can wield, and not that they're a weapon that only DHs can wield? Because this info directly contradicts Blizzard's own Demon Hunter page.

• AVAILABLE WEAPONS
  • Daggers, Fist Weapons, One-Handed Axes, One-Handed Maces, One-Handed Swords
Edited by stoppableforce

Are you sure it's that they're the only weapon that DHs can wield, and not that they're a weapon that only DHs can wield? Because this info directly contradicts Blizzard's own Demon Hunter page.

I was thinking the same. It might have been some miscommunication. Till blizzarad officially changes the info on their website, i will assume that "Glaives is a weapon that only Demon hunters can wear", and not that "Demon Hunters can only wear glaives"

• Like 1

Was there any mention about how dual spec or respec will be handled for artifact weapons? We have thrown some ideas around in guild but it would be nice to know if we will have to do the quest over, or if the weapons will just "change" to our new spec when we change. 

I would love to see unholy DKs take a bit more 'lich' to them - instead of a single pet that you make big, summoning short-lived minions of different types (spellcaster, archer, soldier, tank) would fit better - add in a chance of summon minion on enemy kill and you'd have some serious bad a$$-ness

I was thinking the same. It might have been some miscommunication. Till blizzarad officially changes the info on their website, i will assume that "Glaives is a weapon that only Demon hunters can wear", and not that "Demon Hunters can only wear glaives"

My bet is that Glaives will effectively be a two-handed weapon, like a staff or polearm, but it will be unique to Demon Hunters and unable to transmog into anything else.  And they'll probably be a fast weapon.

Then, Demon Hunters will also have access to the agility one-handers listed on the website, but will prefer quick weapons (like most rogues).

What you end up with is a choice similar to what Monks or Frost DK's have today: whether a single big two-hander is better than two smaller one-handers.  It will probably cause some alteration to optimal rotations, allowing a bit more variety to the DH gameplay without having huge spec-level differences.

The problem with that theory is that it showed the game play of it during the stream and they were dual wielding them. The chances of dual wielding 2h weapons for a class focused on speed and agility is rather slim

My bet is that Glaives will effectively be a two-handed weapon, like a staff or polearm, but it will be unique to Demon Hunters and unable to transmog into anything else.  And they'll probably be a fast weapon.

Then, Demon Hunters will also have access to the agility one-handers listed on the website, but will prefer quick weapons (like most rogues).

What you end up with is a choice similar to what Monks or Frost DK's have today: whether a single big two-hander is better than two smaller one-handers.  It will probably cause some alteration to optimal rotations, allowing a bit more variety to the DH gameplay without having huge spec-level differences.

The problem with that theory is that it showed the game play of it during the stream and they were dual wielding them. The chances of dual wielding 2h weapons for a class focused on speed and agility is rather slim

I'm not talking about the animation.  They'll still make it look like the DH is wielding two separate glaives, and the attack rates will match accordingly.

What they have said is that "glaives" will be a single item.  This means that it's effectively a single two-handed weapon for balance and mathematics purposes, even though the graphics and animation will show otherwise.

Not sure how far down this post will go, but while I suspect you're probably right that it's a typo or mistake (kinda), They could also just be focusing on the fact that the Artifact weapons are the only weapons you should really be using this expansion and the demon hunters one will almost definitely be Glaives of some sort. So for this expansion demon hunter will/should only use Glaives. Also if anyone else has already pointed this out then sorry, only read through so many of the replies :D.

Hey, this was us with you at the interview. Check us out at Wowfan.cz. We are a Czech fansite, so I get the confusion with Russia. wink.png

Haha, when we arrived they were like "You're with the Russian guys, so our Russian CM will take care of you!", so that confused us tongue.png Didn't we have an interview together last year too? Heroes maybe. And btw, feel free to use all our questions/answers, no worries

• Like 1

Class mechanic revamp will be cool, we'll see how it works out. Melee hunter ftw - NEED ME RAPTER STRIKE BACK!!!

Agreed! They better bring back Volley too while they're at it. ;)

Garrisons are staying in Draenor. If you want to go back and visit them, you can! They were always designed as something that you would leave in Draenor. The developers may revisit the system with something bigger, better, and different in the future.

Something bigger.

*Shudder*

Raptor strike memories!

*Peelyon runs into melee range uses Raptor Strike*

"Peelyon what are you doing?! Did you run out of ammo AGAIN??!"

uhm maybe?!

Dude I still have 2,410 rounds of ammo in my hunters bank. Just cant bring myself to delete it.

Dude I still have 2,410 rounds of ammo in my hunters bank. Just cant bring myself to delete it.

The wife still has her ammo bag - won't let go!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Stan
      You can now search for guilds and communities based on your preferences with the launch of the new Guild & Communities Finder. The powerful new feature allows you to apply with notes to multiple guilds and communities that you're eligible for. Simply, press "J" to get started.
      Blizzard (Source)
      Expand your world with our new Guild & Communities Finder (default hotkey: J)! Search for guilds or communities based on your preferences, such as raiding or PvP, guild size, and the class roles they’re seeking. Apply with a note and your specializations so officers can review your application. You’ll also be able to apply to multiple guilds and communities that you’re eligible for.
      Is there a guild or community you already call home? If you’re a recruitment officer, create a posting for others to apply to, or even auto-accept applicants for Communities! Don’t have recruitment privileges? You can use the new chat link feature to advertise the listing through chat channels.
      You can use the new Guild & Communities Finder right now, so get in there and find your new guild and friends!
    • By Stan
      In Patch 8.3, Thaumaturge Vashreen will be selling new items that go all the way to item level 475.
      Titan Residuum Reset
      For the first time in Battle for Azeroth, you won't be able to gather Titan Residuum ahead of Season 4 launch, because it will be reset and the remaining currency will be exchanged into silver.
      Updated Azerite Gear Tokens
      Thaumaturge Vashreen will be selling new random gear tokens that go up to item level 475 in Mythic Season 4.
      Tier 1
      Item Item Level Cost Relinquished Azerite Helm 445 860 Titan Residuum Relinquished Azerite Spaulders 445 860 Titan Residuum Relinquished Azerite Chestpiece 445 860 Titan Residuum Tier 2
      Item Item Level Cost Relinquished Azerite Helm 460 4,500 Titan Residuum Relinquished Azerite Spaulders 460 4,500 Titan Residuum Relinquished Azerite Chestpiece 460 4,500 Titan Residuum Tier 3
      Item Item Level Cost Relinquished Azerite Helm 475 23,750 Titan Residuum Relinquished Azerite Spaulders 475 23,750 Titan Residuum Relinquished Azerite Chestpiece 475 23,750 Titan Residuum
    • By Stan
      Visions of N'Zoth is Battle for Azeroth's final major content patch, where we take the battle to N'Zoth himself and visit Ny'alotha. Our hub covers everything you need to know about Patch 8.3 and helps you stay on track if you haven't been playing the game for a while.
      Patch 8.3 Release Date
      Blizzard revealed after BlizzCon that Patch 8.3 will go live in January 2020.
      Game Director Ion Hazzikostas talked about Visions of N'Zoth in the latest Content Preview on October 7. We learned pretty much everything about the new patch, and in the following section, you're going to find its main features:
      Assaults
      Invasions return to the game once more, and this time, they're called Assaults. The Vale of Eternal Blossoms and Uldum will be periodically under assault by N'Zoth's forces, and your goal is to drive them back by completing quests and interacting with various objectives to complete the "emissary." Blizzard uses technology and everything they've learned from Mechagon and Nazjatar in this new iteration of Assaults to ensure dynamic replayability. Assaults are mandatory if you want to enter Horrific Visions.
      Initial Preview of Assaults in Visions of N'Zoth Horrific Visions
      Described as alternate realities where N'Zoth's power is ascendant, these are 1-5 player "scenarios" of Stormwind and Orgrimmar, where you need to complete various objectives for rewards. Horrific Visions revolve around a new mechanic called Sanity, which starts draining as soon as you enter a Horrific Vision. Your goal is to complete as many side objectives as possible and defeating the mini-boss before your Sanity is completely depleted.
      To help you with that, we've got Wrathion with a new Legendary Cloak and a Titanic Research Archive for Horrific Visions with perks that gradually trivialize the feature. You will be also able to buy various items from Wrathion after completing the Black Empire intro questline.
      Wrathion Selling Various Items in Patch 8.3 Ny'alotha, the Waking City
      We will be facing N'Zoth in Ny'alotha, the new twelve-boss raid located in Uldum. It comes with a raid skip quest after you defeat the first boss.
      Check out the sets you will be able to obtain in the new raid:
      Ny'alotha Cloth Sets Preview Ny'alotha Leather Sets Preview Ny'alotha Mail Sets Preview Ny'alotha Plate Sets Preview In the raid, we find out N'Zoth's true size and interesting loot which revolves around Corruption:
      Corrupted Weapons from Ny'alotha, the Waking City We've also covered the continuation of the story in Patch 8.3 and what happens in the raid in the articles below:
      New Forsaken Leadership in Patch 8.3 (Spoilers) Azshara's Bargain and the Key to Defeating N'Zoth (Spoilers) I'lgynoth's Whispers in Patch 8.3 (Analysis) Tyrande Whisperwind VO (Patch 8.3) N'Zoth's in-game model has been updated multiple times and you can check out N'Zoth's VO as well if you're interested what the Old God has to say based on the latest sound files.
      Rewards Updates
      Visions of N'Zoth comes with two new factions, six new Essences, a brand new Mythic Season, a new Seasonal affix, Profession updates, and more that we'll cover soon. On top of that, Essences from Mechagon and Nazjatar will be easier to acquire for alts. You can also add your own sockets to gear which currently does not have any, and more.
      Add Sockets to Your Gear in Patch 8.3 Heart of Azeroth will have a new Minor slot, two Stamina nodes, the maximum level increased to 85 (was 70). Coming in a later PTR update, Blizzard will be adding an infinite progression slot to aid you against N'Zoth's corruption at max level. Heart of Azeroth progress stops at Level 80 and Blizzard decided to get rid of the infinite trait.
      New Factions
      Uldum and Vale of Eternal Blossoms will be under attack by N'Zoth's forces and both zones host new factions. You'll learn more about the Rajani in Pandaria and Uldum Accord resides in Ramkahen.
      Rajani & Uldum Accord Overview New Allied Races: Vulpera & Mechagnomes
      Another pair of Allied Races will become available in Visions of N'Zoth. Alliance players will be able to recruit Mechagnomes, and their Horde counterpart are the Vulpera of Vol'dun.
      Official Mechagnomes & Vulpera Preview Mechagnomes & Vulpera Racials Mechagnomes & Vulpera Unlock Requirements Vulpera Heritage Armor Preview Mechagnome Heritage Armor Preview Mechagnome & Vulpera Dance Animations Vulpera Tidbits: Racial Mount, Shaman Totems, Hunter Pet New Heritage Armor: Goblins & Worgen
      Goblins and Worgen received new models and animations in Patch 8.2.5, but no Heritage Armor, which is added in Patch 8.3.
      Goblin & Worgen Heritage Armor Sets Preview Auction House Overhaul
      The Auction House will be completely revamped. No more lag caused by the system being clogged with single stacks. Stackable items are no longer purchased or sold in stacks; copper is no longer displayed in the Auction House, but used for calculations. If you regularly forget the name of goods, you can create a shopping list, and more!
      Auction House Revamp Preview The Alternative of Titanforging
      The Corrupted Items System is the alternative to Warforging and Titanforging in Patch 8.3. Items that would Warforge/Titanforge will drop with a +Corruption stat which grants side effects at various Corruption Levels.
      Everything We Know About the Corrupted Items System So Far Cleansing Corrupted Items Class Changes
      No patch would be complete without some class changes, and you can find all class changes planned for Visions of N'Zoth here.
      Mistweaver Monk, Holy Paladin, Discipline Priest Changes: Nov 19 Restoration Druid Nerfs: Nov 20 Allied Race & Pandaren Death Knights
      We found encrypted sound files of Bolvar and Mograine together with Death Knight creature textures for Allied Races and the Pandaren, and new Death Knight Swords of the Ebon Blade.It was confirmed at BlizzCon that all races will be able to roll Death Knights in Patch 8.3. The new Allied Races Death Knights will have a slightly updated starting experience similar to intros of Allied Races.
      Decrypted Bolvar & Darion Mograine Sound Files Improved Eye Glow for Night Elves and Death Knights Mythic Season 4
      A brand new Season awaits in Visions of N'Zoth and players will be able to earn a title and a mount!
      Azerite Armor Changes in Patch 8.3 New Mythic Season 4 Achievements & Rewards Mythic Season 4 Max Item Level Increase Quaking Affix Changes New Mounts
      As usual, with every content update, multiple mounts are coming with placeholder descriptions, sources, and whatnot.
      Alpaca Mounts - Presumably, new reputation mounts available for purchase at Exalted. Chalcedony Cloud Serpent - A new recolor of the existing serpent, possibly tied to the Assault on Vale. N'Zoth Serpent - New Stormsong Valley Rare Mount from the Adherent of the Abyss. Aqir Flying Mount Ahead of the Curve N'Zoth Mount: Uncorrupted Voidwing Mythic N'Zoth Mount (Ny'alotha Allseer), Glory of the Ny'alotha Raider (Wriggling Parasite) Island Expedition Vendors
      In Patch 8.3, you will be able to purchase Island-specific and Invasion-specific crates for Dubloons.
      New Dubloon Vendors Selling Island Expedition and Invasion Crates 3 New World Bosses
      Blizzard is adding three new world bosses to the game, which drop item level 445 loot.
      New World Bosses in Visions of N'Zoth Miscellaneous
      Other minor things planned for Patch 8.3 include:
      A new PvP event where players can serve N'Zoth, similar to Talon's Vengeance. Heroic difficulty for the Darkshore Warfront. Division of Operation: Mechagon into two wings, each with Heroic and Mythic Keystone difficulties. Darkmoon Arcade, allowing you to play your favorite mini-games at the Darkmoon Faire. Deepwind Gorge updated to be a capture point map. New Battle Pets and Pet Battle Dungeon - Blackrock Depths. New Story Quests: Rise of N'Zoth ...and more! We'll be periodically updating this hub with more details!
      Vision of N'zoth is the final major content patch of BfA, and here's our hub with everything you need to know.
    • By Starym
      We're not done with this week's Patch 8.3 class changes it seems, as there's more tuning coming for Resto Druids and the Condensed Life-Force essence!
      November 20th Class Changes (source)
      I’ve added these notes to the OP in this thread, as we are now testing:
      Druid Restoration Mastery: Harmony healing bonus reduced by 9%. High Noon (Azerite Trait) damage reduced by 34%. Developers’ note: Restoration Druid has an overall package of healing, damage, and utility that is very hard to compete with in solo-healed content. Two things that stand out in particular are the efficiency of focused healing on a single target with high Mastery, and the ease of contributing DPS with very little GCD usage on Sunfire . Essences
      Condensed Life-Force The damage debuff applied by your Guardian’s Azerite Spikes has been reduced to 3% increased damage (was 5%). Please note, the High Noon reduction we’re testing only applies to the Restoration spec.
      Full class changes:
      Full 8.3 Class Changes (source)
      In our next major content update, Visions of N’Zoth, we’re working on some tuning updates to a few specs that are under- and over-performing in various ways.
      Developers’ notes: Specs which excel at DoTs on multiple targets have, over the course of many tiers of content, generally had very high performance on the average. Their DPS advantage in raid encounters that play into their multi-target strength (which are relatively common) is not balanced by a comparable disadvantage in other areas. A small reduction in damage on these specs will leave them noticeably strong in the situations in which they’re strong (albeit slightly less than before), and give other specs more opportunity to stand out at other times. At the same time, a few of the Essences added in Rise of Azshara are not performing as well as we would have liked, so we’re increasing the effectiveness of some parts of them to help keep them competitive with the other Essences available.
      With the first build of the update on our Public Test Realm (PTR), you will see the following changes:
      Classes
      Druid Balance Moonfire damage and periodic damage reduced by 10%. Sunfire damage and periodic damage reduced by 10%. High Noon (Azerite Trait) damage increased by 11%. Power of the Moon (Azerite Trait) damage increased by 11%. Restoration Mastery: Harmony healing bonus reduced by 9%. High Noon (Azerite Trait) damage reduced by 34%. Developers’ note: Restoration Druid has an overall package of healing, damage, and utility that is very hard to compete with in solo-healed content. Two things that stand out in particular are the efficiency of focused healing on a single target with high Mastery, and the ease of contributing DPS with very little GCD usage on Sunfire. Mage Frost Ice Lance damage increased by 20%. Developers’ note: Ice Lance damage hasn’t kept up with Icicles scaling, making builds that ignore Ice Lance possible. The intent of this change is to give Frost Mages a better incentive to use Ice Lance within their rotation, as a DPS net gain. Monk Brewmaster Stamina bonus reduced to 30% (was 35%). Stagger percentage reduced to 90% of Agility (was 105%). High Tolerance now increases the effectiveness of Stagger by 5% (was 8%). Developers’ notes: Brewmaster’s extremely high effective health against Physical damage meant that they are rarely in danger against spike damage that threatens other tanks. This should still be a strength of Brewmaster, but not by such a wide margin. Fixed a bug causing Gift of the Ox orbs to spawn too often for players with high amounts of Stamina. Mistweaver Rising Mist healing increased 30% 66% 33%, and now extends Heal-over-time effects by 3 4 seconds (was 2 seconds). Developers’ note: This talent is currently overshadowed on its row, and we want to make sure it’s competitive enough to make its unique playstyle a viable option. Life Cocoon now absorbs for 55% of the caster’s maximum health (was 1100% of the caster’s spellpower). [Coming in a future PTR build] Developers’ note: This ability had gotten weaker compared to player health pools since the start of the expansion, and this will help it better maintain its value. Windwalker Rising Sun Kick damage increased by 25%. Blackout Kick damage increased by 10%. Developers’ note: These changes are intended to help Windwalkers perform better in single-target fights. Paladin Holy Glimmer of Light (Azerite Trait) healing reduced 12% Glimmer of Light (Azerite Trait) may now be applied to a maximum of 8 targets. Developers’ notes: Over the past year, builds centered around this trait have steadily pulled ahead of all other Holy Paladin playstyles, and to some extent all other healers in high-end content. This change is meant to preserve the gameplay of the trait, but limit the ability to increase its value drastically by stacking every possible bonus that reduces Holy Shock cooldown Priest Discipline Purge the Wicked damage reduced 10%. Power Word: Solace damage reduced 10%. Shadow Word: Pain damage reduced 9%. Atonement healing reduced to 50% (was 55%). Mastery: Grace effectiveness increased by 12%. Developers’ notes: Discipline’s ability to contribute both damage and healing is slightly too high for what one character can bring to a group composition. At the same time, we’re making their Mastery stat slightly more attractive. Schism now increases damage done from Priest spells and abilities only. Developers’ notes: This is intended to be consistent with other class cooldowns. Shadow Auspicious Spirits damage bonus reduced to 25% (was 50%). Fixed a bug causing Spiteful Apparitions (Azerite Trait) to be increased by 75% if you do not have Auspicious Spirits talented. Developers’ notes: The multiplicative interaction between Auspicious Spirits, Spiteful Apparitions, and Chorus of Insanity has specifically been a big part of Shadow’s damage scaling somewhat out of control at high target counts. Chorus of Insanity critical strike bonus reduced by 25%. Shadow Word: Pain damage reduced by 8%. Vampiric Touch damage reduced by 8%. Warlock Affliction Deathbolt now deals 20% of the total remaining damage of the Warlock’s damage over time effects on the target (was 30%). Drain Soul damage increased by 50%. Nightfall now increases the damage of Shadow Bolt by 50% (was 25%), and now activates 33% more often. Developers’ notes: One of the key concepts about Affliction Warlock is spreading damage over time spells on a number of different targets. While Deathbolt keys off these types of spells, it provides more-than-expected burst damage and outperforms the other two talents in every situation. In addition to reducing Deathbolt’s effectiveness, we’re improving the other two options to give more options to Affliction Warlocks. Essences
      Condensed Life-Force The damage debuff applied by your Guardian’s Azerite Spikes has been reduced to 3% increased damage (was 5%). Worldvein Resonance Major rank 1, when used, now additionally causes you to gain +50% bonus to stats from Lifeblood Shards for 10 seconds. Vision of Perfection Proc rate increased by 12%. The Unbound Force Major rank 1 damage increased by 40%. Minor rank 1 duration increased to 4 seconds (was 3 seconds). Minor rank 3 increase of duration increased to 2 seconds (was 1 second). Purification Protocol Major rank 1 damage increased by 15%. Major rank 2 now has the potential work on targets that are part of raid and dungeon encounters. Vitality Conduit We’ve rebuilt the way this Essences works, and it should be visually more impactful, as you will now see healing on your targets. As always, changes like these are a work in progress. We are likely to make further adjustments for testing throughout the PTR.
      Thank you very much for your testing and feedback!
    • By Stan
      Shadowlands marks the return of Legendary items, but the acquisition will be less random than what we had back in Legion. Old Legendary items will become transmogable in Patch 9.0, and more.
      In Battle for Azeroth, the only available Legendary item is Wrathion's cloak Ashjra'kamas, Shroud of Resolve introduced in Patch 8.3.
      Legendary Items in Legion
      The concept of Legion Legendaries was interesting. On one hand, you were able to get them from participating in literally everything, so the obsolete portions of the expansion were still relevant.
      On the other, certain Legendaries were more powerful than others. Some were even Best-in-Slot and extremely sought after, but players were not able to get them due to the RNG involved. You've had to get all the less-desired Legendaries first before getting the one you actually wanted.
      Legendaries in Shadowlands
      The Shadowlands expansion is all about player agency. Legendary items will return, but you will have more control over what you get. Specific Legendaries will be crafted through the Tower of the Damned in the Maw, which is one of the game's main features with an everchanging system meant for dynamic replayability.
      Blizzard (Source)
      RUNES AND LEGENDARIES
      Great rewards await those you push themselves to their limits to climb the tower. As you progress through Torghast, you’ll gather runes along the way that you can take to a runeforge, where the Runesage will help you forge legendary items. You’ll also be able to learn a bit more about origins of iconic legendary items such Frostmourne or the Helm of Domination. You’ll also have more control over how you craft your legendaries, meaning you’ll be able to determine what slot they go in, what benefits they give you, and maybe even what secondary stats they have.

Legendary Items Available for Transmog
      In Shadowlands, you will be able to transmog Legendary items, this includes Legion Legendaries as well as weapons that are no longer obtainable (Atiesh). The following items are still up for grabs, so you can start working on getting them since they require a notable time investment.
      Dragonwrath, Tarecgosa's Rest Golad, Twilight of Aspects + Tiriosh, Nightmare of Ages Shadowmourne Sulfuras, Hand of Ragnaros Thori'dal, the Stars' Fury Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker Val'anyr, Hammer of Ancient Kings Warglaive of Azzinoth + Warglaive of Azzinoth