FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Bhart708

Elv UI

I've seen multiple people use Elv UI and I've also noticed that Icy Veins reccommends using it, but I can't seem to find the original version anywhere. Curse only has things to change or add on to the Elv UI you already have. I tried visiting their official website and I couldn't find that anywhere either. Help please?

• Thanks 1

You can download Elvui here: http://www.tukui.org/dl.php

There is a client which can help you keep the addon up to date, but requires an account on their website, it is not a necessity and you can just update the addon by downloading the new version and replacing the old addon.

I was having all sorts of LUA errors back before Christmas and I decided on removing ElvUI and basically resetting everything back to BlizzBasics. I didn't want to but I didn't see any other choice. My LUA errors mostly disappeared, along with the occasional but "horrendous-blue-screen-of-death-gotta-run-memchecker" screens that would pop up. I would like to go back to ElvUI but I was wondering if there had been any "improvements" to it's stability. Also, I had downloaded a few of the DK specific addons to try them out and when I looked on Tuk's website I didn't see any information on how to handle additional addons and updates for them. I did not download the DK addon's from Tuk but from Curse. Could updating an addon outside of ElvUI from Curse have caused issues with the UI?? There seem to be a great number of videos on how to change and modify Elv but I was wondering if there are very specific steps to take to ensure a good stable download and subsequent updates and if 3rd party addons are compatible. Any help on this??

Edited by Amicitia
  • Confused 1

If you are having BSOD's you really should figure out what is going on there as any addon which can add to the memory usage can cause more problems. Something that is free and easy to use is:

http://www.memtest86.com/

If it does not show any errors after running some full scans overnight then look to the OS or drivers, which to correct may require a reinstall.

As per the addons, I do not know anything specifically about ElvUI but all addons have their issues after a major patch so that was likely what ended up happening there. The stability issues in ElvUI itself should be pretty well ironed out by now so I would say go ahead but to keep your current settings intact what I would do is go to your WoW directory and rename the "interface" and "WTF" folders to something like "interface old" and "WTF old" and then start the WoW client and log in to a character. After you have done that exit the game and the interface and wtf folders will have been recreated. Load your addons into them and see how things work. If it's fine then continue on playing and after a couple weeks when you are satisfied with the results you can delete the folders you renamed.

For adding other addons to ElvUI you should be pretty much fine unless both ElvUI and the addon you are attempting to use try to do the same functions, like adding bartender for the action bars as ElvUI already has something like that built in. What I would do there is make a copy of the interface and wtf folders to keep your ElvUI settings intact and then if the addons clash or you simply do not like them you can change back to your previous interface just by renaming the folders rather than trying to delete the other addons and fix anything that could have been tainted by both being installed.

So say I want to try elvui, can I just copy my interface and wtf folder, and then install elvui, and if I do not like it, just put my old interface and wtf files back? What about single addons that I have heavily configured like TellMeWhen, can I just copy that addons folder into the new interface folder? I'd like to try elvui, but there are several addons like tellmewhen and DBM that I do not know if they are included, or want to reconfigure for every toon again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So say I want to try elvui, can I just copy my interface and wtf folder, and then install elvui, and if I do not like it, just put my old interface and wtf files back?

That does indeed work.

What about single addons that I have heavily configured like TellMeWhen, can I just copy that addons folder into the new interface folder? I'd like to try elvui, but there are several addons like tellmewhen and DBM that I do not know if they are included, or want to reconfigure for every toon again.

What you should do is: copy your WTF and interface folder to an external harddrive (or if you don't have one, you can just copy them to your desktop or wherever you like).If you copy them, and not move them all your addons and settings should now be in both maps, so if you install elvui your single addons should still be configured correctly.

Posted Image

If you don't like the addon you just delete the Interface and WTF folder and put the old ones back (or rename them if you copied them in the same folder).

• Thanks 1

I was having all sorts of LUA errors back before Christmas and I decided on removing ElvUI and basically resetting everything back to BlizzBasics. I didn't want to but I didn't see any other choice. My LUA errors mostly disappeared, along with the occasional but "horrendous-blue-screen-of-death-gotta-run-memchecker" screens that would pop up. I would like to go back to ElvUI but I was wondering if there had been any "improvements" to it's stability. Also, I had downloaded a few of the DK specific addons to try them out and when I looked on Tuk's website I didn't see any information on how to handle additional addons and updates for them. I did not download the DK addon's from Tuk but from Curse. Could updating an addon outside of ElvUI from Curse have caused issues with the UI?? There seem to be a great number of videos on how to change and modify Elv but I was wondering if there are very specific steps to take to ensure a good stable download and subsequent updates and if 3rd party addons are compatible. Any help on this??

I never had any issue with ElvUI. Now, if you have BSOD issues, it can't possibly come from ElvUI. I mean, it is possible that the error may be triggered by ElvUI running, somehow, but the underlying cause has nothing to do with ElvUI and has to be a system/hardware problem.

• Haha 1