FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
luxinterior

Yet another MM trinket question

My toon here

Not having much luck getting trinkets to drop and the empowered baleful and 685 LFR trinks are worse than what I have. As I started sinking into RNG despair I remembered that I have both a max'd scribe and max'd alchemist.

The BiS chart here ranks the  alchemy  one at #11 above the inscription  trink at #15 which surprised me as I thought the crit would favor the inscription one. Should I make the alchemy one first and then the scribe one later when I get more felblight? Also, should Kazzak finally drop his Chipped Soul Prism for this toon is it indeed better than either of the crafted trinks since it ranks at #10? Thanks in advance.

Edited by luxinterior

The best trinkets form the ones you listed are indeed the alchemy trinket and the chipped soul prism.  The problem with the inscription trinket is that it has a ~2min ICD (internal cooldown), which lines up almost perfectly with Rapid Fire every time, barring bad RNG.  When Rapid Fire is up, your Aimed Shot has +50% crit chance, which drastically lowers the value of crit during it's uptime, and when you have a crit proc (the 715 trinket gives just over 25% crit), much of that is wasted for Aimed Shot, as you can't have more than 100% crit chance, or rather, anything above that 100% is wasted.  The alchemy trinket on the other hand, has an Agility proc on a 1min ICD, and again will often line up with Rapid Fire, making your burst all the more stronger.

• Like 1

Thanks much for the detailed explanation. Excess crit, hadn't considered that possibility.

As an aside, it appears to me that many of the newer trinkets in the 685-695 range (empowered baleful, pressure-compressed loop are worse than most of the 670 ones from BRF. Has Blizzard ever offered any explanation for this, like "we made the earlier ones too strong and needed to re-balance" or is my perception wrong?

How I see it is that LFR items aren't supposed to be on the same level as non-LFR items are, to encourage people to do more than just LFR (not saying anything is wrong with just doing LFR, that's how I started getting into raiding myself).  As for the baleful items, again, they're all stat-sticks and are fairly under-budgeted (don't have as much stat value as other trinkets of similar level).

I totally understand and agree with you Orthios. I'm not comparing them with the Normal and above HFC trinks, just the 670 items that were from BRF. Looking at the BiS pages for many of the dps specs the 670 items pretty consistently ranked above the HFC LFR stuff that have a higher ilvl and was wondering why.

I know I need to run normal HFCs and above to get really decent trinks. I'm just finding it harder to break into raiding this xpac. All the pugs want folks that already know the fights and kick upon the first mistake. It was much easier to break-in with MoP, I think flex gets some of the credit for that. I know I'll never be elite, my eyesight, reflexes and dexterity are limiting factor, but I am at least competent once I know the fights. The write-ups here and videos are helpful but you still have to put it all together in the real thing and that takes a few tries, at least for me. I did get AHoC for SoO (just barely) without being a carry, and got through Sha of Pride on mythic so I'm not totally clueless :P