FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
NoamNatan

Demo over Affliction

my current ilvl is 710 and i have 4set with class trinket (normal)

i'm not doing so well with affliction, i do ok in single target even better then destro

but i think i'm playing much better as Demo then Aff

i wanted to ask if Demo becomes better or is it still crappy spec

i thought maybe the potential of class trinket + imp swarm

and the bonus demons get also taking Demonbolt if its get better then affliction

should i come back to demo again?
i cleared HFC in hc we will soon start mytic

Affliction is the best spec for Single Target.

Demonology is the best for huge burst AoE.

You only really want to consider Demonology for Kormrok and Mannoroth.

Naturally you can happily play Demonology on every fight on anything that is considered farm-status.

Affliction is just too strong (and Demo too weak) at least on "Affliction type fights". Do you really do better ST damage in Demo over Affliction? If so something is going wrong there. If you do not know where you are going wrong have you considered posting some logs?

I wanted so badly for Demonology to be good in HFC. And it was for the first few weeks. However, since the Aff/Destro buff in week 3, Demo has gone out the window for single target. As Liquid said, it does fantastic burst AoE! Also, it has great execute damage, but unfortunately no bosses have a long enough execute phase for it to matter.

If you have your heart set on Demo, though, no one is stopping you. Unless you are raiding high end mythic content, it won't matter. I personally would never recommend Glyph of Imp Swarm, as you passively generate more imps without it. But Demonbolt for single target is quite good, just make sure you maintain the 2 pc buff and get your four DB casts off every 40 seconds.

Affliction is just too strong (and Demo too weak) at least on "Affliction type fights". Do you really do better ST damage in Demo over Affliction? If so something is going wrong there. If you do not know where you are going wrong have you considered posting some logs?

i didn't mean i do better on single target on demo then affliction

actually single target is my only place i do good with affliction

but when there are more targets and need multi doting i somewhat going lost and most of the time

busy on refreshing in a way that sometimes i ignore encounter mechanics which is quite bad :P

i will try to post some logs of the way i play affliction and demo

i will post and would like to get some comments :)

here are 2 logs of LFR 1st and 2nd wing

one with Demo
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/XJVRHW6GzvZkjLB9

and one with Affliction
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/mL9n2CFNvVQhzwRk
on Hellfire assault i used destro because it's mainly aoe

in some fights demo was better in some fights affliction was better..

i will be happy if someone can review the logs and tell me if i'm doing something wrong (with affliction)

oh, i also forgot

my character is Vaildor :)

Edited by NoamNatan

Hi NoamNatan,

Well Affliction is strong at what it does but if you want good AoE or burst on short lived adds then it is not the spec to use if you want that side of things. Destro (or even Demo on a couple of fights) will shine a lot more then.

On Kormrok your first Dark Soul was at 18 seconds and your Doomy at 19. So much lost DPS with all your trinkys up and you missed a lot of the ring buff as well. Of course perhaps normally you wait until he is positioned for all the cool downs and so on but here you shouldn't of.

Rarely do you use a second Dark Soul in BL/Hero. Your other DS: M are not in execute either (though it's hard to judge timings on a LFR kill). What did you sync your cool downs with? As none of your other buffs really line up. If anything on Kormrok you waited until the only time DSI was off the whole fight!

Potion at a most random time at least on Kormrok and on Council too late for the full effect. Not syncing DS: M with ring but yeah I get this was LFR. So just sync stuff better (this applies to all specs)

Seed of Corruption=bad

Did you drain hands for shards? Did you drain Blademaster mirrors for shards?

Not sure if you know this but on the Casts tab click on each of the named spells and you will see your gaps in casting. Of course you will have some when you are channelling Drain Soul so if that's your last cast it's ok but on Kormrok something went wrong at 1:43 and 1:54

Perhaps you capped on shards (can't see as you don't have advanced logging enabled) but 2 casts of Haunt within 4 seconds of another is a waste. Another at least 3 times it also seems your Haunts are a little close together. Pandemic is only 30% (and though yes Haunt has a travel time so you want to be a bit earlier than expiry time)

On Council Haunting Spirits only 74% uptime yet you casted a lot of normal Haunts.

Overall DoT uptime good on Council but on each boss it is low with them falling off a lot. I guess multi-dotting is just a practice thing and well a functional UI helps a lot

On Council it also seems that the general advice is to run GoSup as well as there is a lower Drain Soul uptime

Unless I am wrong then Doomy should not be in your opener if you do not BL (but yeah it's a pug you didn't know). On Gorefiend he should be kept for just before the feast that you double DS in and use your potion here as well (again syncing cooldowns etc)

Second DS:M at 3:30 on Iron Reaver is too late and you're missing a DS: M for the fight time. Again watch for BL/Hero

So you actually get very decent results and to me it doesn't make sense to play Demo on those fights where Affliction does the job better. Of course I am probably missing the finer points in your logs as I do not play Affliction very well myself! 

I haven't read a Demo log since BRF but if you want to I can it or a Destro one. Do you find unglyped Dark Soul is better with Demo? You only have so much fury which goes first on DB so 20 seconds seems a waste to me but I just do not touch Demo now days so that may be wrong. 

Disclaimer: Always may be errors

Edited by spikeysquad

Thanks for detailed answer.

i see my main problem is to have my cooldowns more synced. keep Doomguard to Bloodlust,

2nd Dark Soul with trinket proc etc.

normaly i start the fight with SB: Haunt trying to time few seconds of Soulburn left before the pull so i can get a soul shard

back then i throw the Haunt follow by 3 dots, Dark Soul and Summon Doomguard.

on LFR most of the times is ninja pulls so it's not so easy to time it

something i wasn't sure about Haunt:

when Dark Soul active the duration of haunt is refreshed when channeling Drain Soul, so it stay active for full time of dark soul.

i learned a trick that i use my 2nd Dark Soul when it's like 3 seconds left of Haunt so it get refreshed and i save a soul shard,

but then i get to situation that i have to many of soul shards which get capped.

so i wanted to know if i should i cast more Haunts while Dark Soul is active or wait until it comes off?

i guess that's explain why some Haunts been casted close to each other. in order not to cap soul shards..