FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Elguapomucho

New Ret a bit lost why DPS is low

Hi, I am new to wow and my main is a Ret Pally. Here is my profile...http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/jaedenar/Elguapomucho/advanced and here are my logs....http://www.worldoflogs.com/guilds/250591/

Being the only one in my guild (friends and family only) that raids it is all LFR. I am using the suggested rotation, clc ret, trying to manage my cool downs and still get taken to school by at least 15k or more over all dps and boss dps by other ret pallys. I am stuck as to what i could be doing so wrong to be that much lower. If it were only fine tuning I dont think i would be so far behind. Really need a fresh set of eyes to see what I am doing so wrong.

Hi Guapo,

Based on a cursory inspection of your logs and gear, you are performing in line with expectations. CD usage, uptimes etc, all are accrate/adequate.

Ret scales stupidly with:

1) Weapon

2) 4-piece tier

If you obtain either of those (your weapon is good, lucky find, but you'll get stomped by someone with a 489 or higher) you'll see a huge increase in your DPS. Until then, increases will be very incremental. If you are fidning yourself lacking in direct comparisons to other retters, it's likely they have one or the other of thesse two things, or just a substantially higher overall ilvl. I think you're doing just fine, so I wouldn't worry that your perceived lack of DPS is based on mechanical failure/misunderstanding.

-A

I'm no Ret expert, but I would at least assume to help boost your numbers by a little is to replace that +4 all stats gem in your belt.

You are also a bit over hi cap, so I would change that blue hit gem into a Haste/hit gem.

Lastly comparing you with some of the rets in my guild, I would suggest:

• Change your Haste JC gem into a strength one and put that in your belt instead of the +4 stats
  • Use a +320 haste gem where the old JC gem use to be
  • Change the +320 Hit to 160 Haste/160 Hit
  • Change the +80 Strength/160 Haste to 320 Haste
Of course someone can tell me if I am wrong, I'm just basing these changes on what the ret paladins in my guild are doing.

For reference: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/gnomeregan/Sophakyng/advanced

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/gnomeregan/druhz/advanced

Also, Ask Mr.Robot can be a tremendous help in gemming/enchants etc if you wish to take his advice.

I'd be careful swapping out haste for strength. Once you are decently geared (especially with teir set) 2haste>1str which makes haste better than strength per itemization point. Haste is incredibly strong for ret. Lust/Hero being utilized properly with cooldowns will blow your dps sky high.

I am surprised to see you have more Haste than Strength! I would suggest using Fierce Vermilion Onyx gems in your yellow sockets rather than pure Haste (you can use Orange gems in Red or Yellow sockets and still get the bonus). The +4 to all stats gem in your belt is a waste; replace it with a Str or Haste/Str gem. Enchant your bracer and sword (Windsong?) and get the +500 STR gem from the Black Prince in the Tavern in the Mists for your Sha-touched weapon.