FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Dee

[Arcane] Need help with improving dps ilvl 712 mage

Hi everyone,

I'm currently raiding heroic HC (10/13). I'm not very happy with my DPS. I'm far behind the hunters most of the time (or at least one of them in % of damage done).

I see on ask mr robot that i'm often in the bottom 50% of percentile dps on fights, and I would really like to be in the top 10-20%. I know i have/had the skill to do it, I used to be really good, a long time ago :-). I don't want to switch to frost unless i absolutely have to because i find Arcane more engaging.   

I've read all the arcane mage guides out there, and I think i'm doing the right things, but i do make some stupid mistakes sometimes (listed below). I need help figuring out what else i'm doing wrong and how I can do better.  

Here is my armory link:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/proudmoore/Deenar/simple

Here is my askmrrobot link which includes my combat logs from recent raids (though i can't seem to figure out how to see my mana usage there): 

http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/player/us/proudmoore/deenar

I have 4 piece t18 and I just got my legendary ring this week. 

Mistakes I know i make:

- This one is pretty stupid but happens fairly often: sometimes after my prismatic crystal expires, I'll keep trying to cast without a target. Usually takes me a couple of seconds of downtime till i re-target the correct target. 

- I'm too slow to use Ice floes when moving. I have it bound to a separate button on its own so it seems sort of too slow. I guess maybe i should use that button to enable a macro instead where it starts an AB cast as well?  

- I don't do well enough at remembering to save 2x supernova for prismatic crystal, so it's often just 1 during PC.  How do you know exactly when to stop using Supernova to get ready for PC? 

- Sometimes I pick rune of power then realize i shouldn't have because a fight has too much mobility, or vice versa with Incanter's flow.  How much movement does it take for you to switch from one to another? 

- I often forget my pots, particularly if it's a fight we have on 'farm' but looking at the logs now it looks like my team mates use them anyway even on those fights, so i probably should too. I don't think that's enough to explain the big difference in dps though. 

Any helpful advice or tips on how to improve my dps would be appreciated. Thank you. 

Hey Deenar.
I know Im answering quite late but hopefully you will read my advises anyway ;)

Im not really a "logreader", so I am glad that you listed some of your mistakes where I want to refer to.

For your PC I would advise to set up a weakaura to see how long it will be up, resize your targetframe or increase your ingamevolume ("I have to target") ;)

For your Ice flows you should not build a marco to have it casted with other spells. Just keep it on an extra button and cast it while you are casting your last spell before you move.

Having 1 or 2 supernova is a difference, yes. But not a huge DPS increase. I think you should try harder or just get a weakaura that pops up if your PC is going off cooldown in 50 secs if you got no charge or in 25sec if you got 1 charge.

The problem with RoP is really no big deal. After you got a feeling for the boss you know if RoP is worth taking or not.

(Im using it for Council, Killrog, Iskar, Socrethar, Velhari and Zakuun. But that is totaly depending on the tacts your raid is doing and your role in the raid)

Well and for the last of your problems I can say: Always use a prepot for your fights! Even if its on farmstatus. You want to make progress, right? If all of your mates are using prepots for farmbosses, these bosses are dead if quicker so you can get maybe 1 or 2 trys on a progressboss more per raid which could make a difference!

Hopefully I could help at least a bit.

Feel free to ask if something isn't clear enough ;)

• Like 1

- This one is pretty stupid but happens fairly often: sometimes after my prismatic crystal expires, I'll keep trying to cast without a target. Usually takes me a couple of seconds of downtime till i re-target the correct target. 

Totally feel your pain here, its also quite annoying that when your in the middle of burn and it suddenly targets a raid member completely messing up your rotation.  It's also a pain that when you try to hit tab on really big bosses like Gorefiend or Reaver it wont target them because its too big on your screen forcing you to use even more time to click on them. I blame Blizz for poor programming as in the past this was never an issue, although i wasnt using a gaming mouse either and that could be the problem as well. Hell during BC and WotLK didn't even have to tab cause the game realized i'm hitting the same target as the tank and would auto target whomever the tank was hitting on every pull making trash easy to target. Oh well nothing to really fix about it as its nothing that you can do except to get used to it and catch it quickly,deep sigh.

Edited by Tigersharrk
  • Like 1

For your PC I would advise to set up a weakaura to see how long it will be up, resize your targetframe or increase your ingamevolume ("I have to target") wink.png

For your Ice flows you should not build a marco to have it casted with other spells. Just keep it on an extra button and cast it while you are casting your last spell before you move.

Having 1 or 2 supernova is a difference, yes. But not a huge DPS increase. I think you should try harder or just get a weakaura that pops up if your PC is going off cooldown in 50 secs if you got no charge or in 25sec if you got 1 charge.

Thanks a lot for the advice. I usually don't use weak auras because i feel like my screen is already super messy and I don't wanna add to it, but it seems like for PC/Supernova it might be worth it to set them up.  I will fiddle with it and see what that gets me.  Maybe there's other stuff on my screen I can remove to reduce the mess. 

Just give it a try and check if you are feeling comfortable. I would be lost without my weakauras! I just love them :)

To reduce the mess on your screen you should scale your interface smaller I guess, but I have no clue what your interface looks like ;)

Hi everyone,

I'm currently raiding heroic HC (10/13). I'm not very happy with my DPS. I'm far behind the hunters most of the time (or at least one of them in % of damage done).

I see on ask mr robot that i'm often in the bottom 50% of percentile dps on fights, and I would really like to be in the top 10-20%. I know i have/had the skill to do it, I used to be really good, a long time ago :-). I don't want to switch to frost unless i absolutely have to because i find Arcane more engaging.   

I've read all the arcane mage guides out there, and I think i'm doing the right things, but i do make some stupid mistakes sometimes (listed below). I need help figuring out what else i'm doing wrong and how I can do better.  

Here is my armory link:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/proudmoore/Deenar/simple

Here is my askmrrobot link which includes my combat logs from recent raids (though i can't seem to figure out how to see my mana usage there): 

http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/player/us/proudmoore/deenar

I have 4 piece t18 and I just got my legendary ring this week. 

Mistakes I know i make:

- I'm too slow to use Ice floes when moving. I have it bound to a separate button on its own so it seems sort of too slow. I guess maybe i should use that button to enable a macro instead where it starts an AB cast as well?  

- I don't do well enough at remembering to save 2x supernova for prismatic crystal, so it's often just 1 during PC.  How do you know exactly when to stop using Supernova to get ready for PC? 

- Sometimes I pick rune of power then realize i shouldn't have because a fight has too much mobility, or vice versa with Incanter's flow.  How much movement does it take for you to switch from one to another? 

- I often forget my pots, particularly if it's a fight we have on 'farm' but looking at the logs now it looks like my team mates use them anyway even on those fights, so i probably should too. I don't think that's enough to explain the big difference in dps though. 

Any helpful advice or tips on how to improve my dps would be appreciated. Thank you. 

I'd like to point out a really serious issue with your dps. According to the logs, you've never actually dealt the damage that you absorb with the ring. I could see the buff that you gain from it, which means that you use it (maybe not YOU, but someone that you played with) but the explosion goes to waste. Note that the explosion has a 20yd radius, which means that you have to actually stand rather close to the boss. 

Another thing I noticed is that you use Nether Tempest. This ability isn't really the strongest ability on single target fights. It's actually rarely used at all. With your gear you would benefit alot more from either Supernova or Unstable Magic as a aoe/cleave ability.