FORUMS
Eyeroll

Barrage, why mythic raiders pick it?

I recently moved from WW monk to MM hunter for my guild progression, due to some mechanics issues by other raid members.  Our guild leaders/raid leaders are pretty adamant about people spec'ing their toons to recommendations from icy-veins and worldofwargraphs, and getting 3 crafted 705/715 pieces to get the best chances to succeed.

Last night, I got 3 tier pieces in Normal(Xuhl, Soc, Manno), so am sitting on a 4 piece tier (heroic head) plus two LFR tier (socketed) pieces (askmrrobot bestinbag recommendations).  I was doing a good 5-6k better DPS than the other MM hunter who is ilvl 709, on Hellfire Assault. (it took me 3 months to get my 4 piece on my WW monk....)

What i'm confused about is that barrage is not recommended except in multiple mobs, so it appears from icy-veins that GT or PS is a better single target.  However, like 95% of mythic raiders select Barrage.  

1st off, I wouldn't trust world of wargraphs, it just doesn't seem right to me.  As far as Barrage vs Glaive Toss vs Powershot goes, here's the quick and dirty:

• Have the 4pc and Single Target fight?  Powershot.
  • Do not have the 4pc and Single Target fight?  Glaive Toss
  • Is there at any point in the fight where you can hit multiple targets with barrage?  Barrage.
  • Is the fight Mythic Gorefiend?  Glaive Toss

Then, we have to consider the actual fights to look at what talent for which fight.

• HFA - Adds galore on all difficulties - Barrage
  • Iron Reaver - This one is kinda up in the air.  If you can 1 phase the fight, PS/GT, otherwise Barrage for bomb damage.  Barrage on mythic difficulty for bomb damage.
  • Kormrok - Hands get bursted down fairly quick, but it's easy to get a good barrage in them, espicially worth it if your guild uses the ring for hands.  Barrage.
  • HHC - 3 Target fight, with barrage being able to hit multiple targets for most of the fight.  Barrage.
  • Kilrogg - Multiple adds out at a time, plus if you are in a vision group there are tons of adds.  Barrage.
  • Gorefiend - If it's not mythic, then use Barrage.  If it is mythic, then use GT/PS for the slow/knockback on the adds.  Don't use barrage b/c of the soul damage could break people out early.
  • Iskar - 3 add phases, with the least amount of targets being 3.  Barrage.
  • Socrethar - You'll often be able to hit multiple targets between the souls, casters, and the dominators.  Barrage.
  • Zakuun - The only purely ST fight in HFC - GT/PS
  • Tyrant - Powershot.  The reasoning is that the dps checks are more important than doing more dps with barrage.
  • Mannoroth - Infernals and imps and doom lords, oh my!  Barrage.
  • Archimonde - dreadstalkers + infernals = barrage.

11/13 fights you'll be using Barrage on, so more than likely you will see raiders log out with barrage talented.

Also, I suggest you read Azortharion's Hunter Guide, as it is quite frankly the best hunter resource there is.

Edit: Ninja'd by azor.

• Like 1

1st off, I wouldn't trust world of wargraphs, it just doesn't seem right to me.  As far as Barrage vs Glaive Toss vs Powershot goes, here's the quick and dirty:

• Have the 4pc and Single Target fight?  Powershot.
  • Do not have the 4pc and Single Target fight?  Glaive Toss
  • Is there at any point in the fight where you can hit multiple targets with barrage?  Barrage.
  • Is the fight Mythic Gorefiend?  Glaive Toss

Then, we have to consider the actual fights to look at what talent for which fight.

• HFA - Adds galore on all difficulties - Barrage
  • Iron Reaver - This one is kinda up in the air.  If you can 1 phase the fight, PS/GT, otherwise Barrage for bomb damage.  Barrage on mythic difficulty for bomb damage.
  • Kormrok - Hands get bursted down fairly quick, but it's easy to get a good barrage in them, espicially worth it if your guild uses the ring for hands.  Barrage.
  • HHC - 3 Target fight, with barrage being able to hit multiple targets for most of the fight.  Barrage.
  • Kilrogg - Multiple adds out at a time, plus if you are in a vision group there are tons of adds.  Barrage.
  • Gorefiend - If it's not mythic, then use Barrage.  If it is mythic, then use GT/PS for the slow/knockback on the adds.  Don't use barrage b/c of the soul damage could break people out early.
  • Iskar - 3 add phases, with the least amount of targets being 3.  Barrage.
  • Socrethar - You'll often be able to hit multiple targets between the souls, casters, and the dominators.  Barrage.
  • Zakuun - The only purely ST fight in HFC - GT/PS
  • Tyrant - Powershot.  The reasoning is that the dps checks are more important than doing more dps with barrage.
  • Mannoroth - Infernals and imps and doom lords, oh my!  Barrage.
  • Archimonde - dreadstalkers + infernals = barrage.

11/13 fights you'll be using Barrage on, so more than likely you will see raiders log out with barrage talented.

Also, I suggest you read Azortharion's Hunter Guide, as it is quite frankly the best hunter resource there is.

On Kormrok, esp heroic, I try to get my timing so I can burst Mirror of the Blademaster and barrage on hands.

I know back in Panderia on my old account, I used to abuse a trinket proc + bestial wrath + dire beast + multi-shot cleave proc.

WOD appears to have changed the Bestial Wrath proc to a simple pet release from control effects (not sure if this applies to the dire beast) + 20% pet DPS increase + 10% player DPS increase and -%50 focus cost on shots for 15secs.  Not sure if the dire beast every 30secs + bestial wrath every 60 seconds (plus RapidFire every 120 seconds) is better than TotH proc.

It's clear you haven't played BM since MoP considering Beast Mastery cannot use Rapid Fire anymore.

Not sure what trinket proc trick from MoP you mean.

Also, just to clarify, Bestial Wrath has no effect for Dire Beast. Same thing for Beast Cleave.

It's clear you haven't played BM since MoP considering Beast Mastery cannot use Rapid Fire anymore.

Not sure what trinket proc trick from MoP you mean.

Also, just to clarify, Bestial Wrath has no effect for Dire Beast. Same thing for Beast Cleave.

I didn't make clear that I was talking about using Bestial Wrath/Dire Beast as MM, as a theory.

The MOP trinkets I was using was Sigil of Rampage and Haromm's Talisman.  Sigil procs would do 5 multistrikes on an additional cleave.  I saw some crazy damage in mass AOE fights when both trinkets proc'd with BW/DB/MS up.

Thanks for clarifying the BW has no effect on DB and BC.  It wasn't clear from any of the resources I've read over the last couple of weeks.

Love the work you've done.  Hope to improve my rotations, and get better at not focus starving myself at inopportune times...