FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
BMaxwell00

Fire.

Is there something wrong with this specialization? I have yet to see a single Fire mage since I started playing again, a few months ago, and while that's not a sign that the spec is absolutely atrocious in itself, it does make me wonder. I've been leveling a mage with the intent of running HFC as Fire, but since he's not at 100 yet I don't really know what to expect.

Could anyone give me a basic rundown of it? If it's fun to use, how it performs in HFC at the moment*, its strengths, how gear dependant it is, things I should be aware of, etc.

My guild is currently at 12/13N, and we haven't done any Heroic or Mythic yet, so we're talking about performance at up to ilvl 700 or so.

*I did check Ask Mr. Robot but there's only so much I can deduce by looking at DPS benchmarks.

Hello. 

Fire was very popular in Blackrock Foundry due to their insane 4-piece bonus, which gave them huge combustions. 

As for Hellfire Citadel, they are good for mythic with 4- piece bonus and with the right trinkets. Having enough crit is of course important - which makes fire mages gear dependant. You can still get those huge combustions, but its not as easy as it was in BRF. 

It is also some RNG involved with fire's dps -as you can be luck or unlucky with trinketprocs, combustions etc. 

For Normal and Heroic i would recommend you going frost and arcane. Arcane also does really good cleave damage if you have the Mannoroth trinket. 

Overall; fire do well on cleavefights if you have the right trinkets and a decent amount of crit. 

Fire is absolute fine!

Problem is the HFC. The bosses (on NHC and HC) are just not made for fire... There're no bosses like the Iron Madens or something nearly to a cleavefight with 3 targets to hit for quite some time.

That's just the reason why nobody is playing fire atm.

Fire isn't bad really, the other specs are just pretty good for most fights:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/8

As you see there are some top ranked players playing fire, so it is completely viable for any HFC fight, you just gotta make it work.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/character/9374172/latest/#boss=1785
This is one of the best fire mages imo, he's had several rank 1 logs, on both single target and AoE.

http://www.simulationcraft.org
And according to simcrafts, fire is the best of the 3 specs in AoE fights.

So to sum it up, fire is completely viable, both on paper (simcrafts) and real life logs, so if you like being a pyromaniac there's nothing holding you back to set the world on fire.

Ok, here's the thing. Fire is NOT viable for progression. Those top logs you see are people that are playing Fire on farm kills.

This is what you should look at: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statistics/8

Fire still looks good though, but wait. There are 5700 Fire Mage logs across all 13 mythic bosses. Compared to 58,000 Arcane and 31,000 Frost parses. There's a reason for that, and that is because fire is not viable for progression. The ONLY reason people are seeing good results is because of very high gear levels. The OP also stated around 700 ilvl, but that was also a month ago, so let's say (s)he got lucky with gear and is now around 710. There's not a lot happening in mythic at 710 ilvl, so let's drop down to heroic: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statistics/8#bracket=10&difficulty=4

Fire is 4th from last at the 75th percentile, not very good now is it?

Now then, regarding Simcraft results. There are a total of 0 bosses in the current tier that have been represented in Simcraft. 0. Simcraft does not take into account fight mechanics, which can heavily skew ones' dps, both up and down.

Well, for progression, frost/arcane is typically better, but i'm just saying that if OP likes fire he can actually make it work.

Just did 125k dps on my fire mage on xhul, and i'm only 718ilvl. But most fights in HFC is pretty badly suited for fire tho, xhul is among the best.