FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Chacal

The Mulligan

So I've made rank 9 this season, which is my best yet (started in Nov). I know I could have gone higher given more time to ladder but I'm looking at what I can improve. I think that the part of the game that I'm struggling most with at the moment and that I find really frustrating is the mulligan, especially against Warlocks and Mages.

Those two classes can run wildly varying archetypes (Freeze vs Tempo/Mech & Zoo vs Handlock/Reno) and consequently I find it almost impossible to decide what I should be looking for in my starting hand. If you get it wrong it can be very, very wrong. It's great that the guides contain advice for mulliganing but I'm finding it very hard to apply. Am I missing something? Tips would be greatly appreciated!

I'm mostly using Renolock and Midrange Patron. I know what to Mulligan vs control and aggro are from the guides but when one class might be playing on of two very different archetypes it's tough to know what to do. Wondering how better players than me handle it!

Pro players sometimes even know the players they are facing and remember their decks, making it a lot easier to mulligan. As for you, you can either mulligan according to what is more popular around your rank or what is a tougher matchup if you are unsure about the popularity. 

• Like 2

I've seen Fire_bat making predictions on what deck he could be facing based on which cards an opponent touches for his mulligan. I have no idea what science or logic he uses behind his predictions, they are not always correct but it makes me curious none the less. When I'm in doubt I just mulligan to make my opening strong, opting for cards in the 1-3 range, with an occasional board clear. I'll keep a silence if I'm facing a Warlock since it helps with zoo and with Hand. I dont know if this is the right way to do it, and if its wrong would love to be corrected.

• Like 1

It could be that aggro card don't have to mulligan as many cards as control to get a good hand. However, I don't think that it is a good indicator whatsoever.

Yes, that's pretty much the tactic for a proactive deck. Combo decks have harder time mulliganing, sadly.

Makes a big difference if playing as Handlock. Against control you want Twilight Drakes and Mountain Giants. Against aggro you DO NOT; you need cards to play in the early game just to survive. I feel like if I just assume the worst I'm not able to do the deck justice when what it really wants to do is play big minions with lots of health on turn 3/4.