FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Tanthiris

Resto Shaman trinket help

Hi, this is my main alt and I run him as Resto. Been doing mainly pugs and running with several friends and have picked up trinkets and need help deciding which ones would be more beneficial.

Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/steamwheedle-cartel/Algaliarept/simple

Now in my armory I have normal Intuition's Gift and heroic Demonic Phylactery equipped, but I also have in my bags a heroic version of our class trinket. Should I swap out the normal IG for the heroic class trinket or just keep trying for the heroic version of Intuition's Gift while using the normal version? I will admit I like using the IG for the burst and it has a fairly short CD. Thank you in advance for any advice.

Hello Tanthiris,

I went through your Armory and while you didn't ask for an advice, I'll dare to point that main secondary stats for a resto shaman in WoD are Mastery (1st place) and Haste (2nd place). It is definitely not Crit. 

Here is a link to my toon to compare. As you can see, I'm on Velhari Mythic, have way less Spirit than you and definitely not a Spirit enchant (it is a to-go enchant for low ilvl gear up to 700-705 ilvl maybe). I have twice Mastery and Haste comparing to you.

I would advice you at least to change you gems and enchants for the better stats.

Regarding the trinkets: Demonic Phylactery is the best, no doubt here. For the second one I stopped on Flickering Felspark: it has Int, Mastery,Haste and Spirit - all the best for a resto shaman. I never use class trinket - its complete lack of stats makes the benefits very arguable. I tried Intuition's Gift (have it in Mythic version) and frankly, wasn't impressed. Too much Spirit that I don't need and the burst was doing mostly overheal. We have enough tools for keeping the raid alive, so I personally prefer Flickering Felspark.

Thanks for the response Pandacho. Ironically, all I had to do to obtain the Felspark was do an item restoration as I had it previously at one point. So did that and switched out the IG for it as well as switched the enchants around and will give them all a try. Main reason I ran crit was for the mana regen through Resurgence, same with why I had a higher Spirit. I feel more comfortable having more regen for my personal tastes. Also, granted, most of my healing is overheals as well anyways as most of the healers I run with regularly are disc healers.

Main reason I ran crit was for the mana regen through Resurgence, same with why I had a higher Spirit. I feel more comfortable having more regen for my personal tastes. Also, granted, most of my healing is overheals as well anyways as most of the healers I run with regularly are disc healers.

The mana regen from Resurgence was cut so heavily in WoD that all the mana you can gain through it in most of times would worth less than one channelled mana potion. Mana gain from Crit is about 15% of mana gain from Spirit. So technically you are trading a serious amount of healing stats (Mastery and Haste) for a very low mana return that you can easily achieve just using a mana pot.

This change was made a long time ago but unfortunately many good MoP resto guides where abandoned and are not reflecting WoD changes anymore. I know that Noxxic guide bring Crit first and frankly, don't have a clue where from it comes.

Here you can see the amount of mana I get from Resurgence during 5 min healing Velhari Mythic. Or here (Gorefiend Mythic).

Here is amount of mana you get from Resurgence during Gorefiend HC fight. It's almost the same even that you have double amount of Crit comparing to me, and it's still a minor amount of mana.

Regarding overhealing when running with too many healers in general or with a lot of absorb healers:

1. A huge chunk of resto shaman healing comes from raid CDs usage. Always drop HST on CD and use Rushing Streams talent. Try always to use HTT, Ascendance and SLT on CD when possible even if damage on raid is not crucial - additional benefit will be saving a lot of mana otherwise being spent on single casts.

2. To compete with absorb healers in some way you should cast faster and have more ticks of your Riptide and Totem healing, so you should go for Haste, not for Crit. 

Stat prio for progress healing would be Mastery->Haste->Multi=Crit->Vers

Regarding the trinkets: Demonic Phylactery is the best, no doubt here. For the second one I stopped on Flickering Felspark: it has Int, Mastery,Haste and Spirit - all the best for a resto shaman. I never use class trinket - its complete lack of stats makes the benefits very arguable. I tried Intuition's Gift (have it in Mythic version) and frankly, wasn't impressed. Too much Spirit that I don't need and the burst was doing mostly overheal. We have enough tools for keeping the raid alive, so I personally prefer Flickering Felspark.

What are your opinions regarding the DPS trinket from The Highcouncil encounter?

Why is the crit trinket valued sometimes more than the leech trinket? With so many cooldowns and tools at our disposal as resto shamans, how to find the right time and place to use the trinket to our benefit? And even if we manage, crit is only our 3rd preferred stat. Or is it the value of 2k odd crit makes all the difference?

Thanks in advance :)

Edited by Pulse

Phylactery is amazing, Felspark is strong and perfectly statted. You're certainly never wrong by much if you just equip those forever. And it's worth something that Felspark drops off of Assault (and that no one else wants one nearly as much as you); it's pretty easy to have one that's a higher ilvl than your alternative option. Here are the others:

Unstable Shadowfel Emulsion:

Great when you care most about max healing on the entire raid at a time when you're burning the boss; so, I use(d) on Council (for end phase before it was on farm), Gore, Xhul. Not as prone to overheal as IG when doing this job, and combined with HST/Rushing Streams tops people off constantly for free.

Chipped Soul Prism:

Worse Felspark. Crit and multistrike, especially when on all the time as opposed to an activation, are largely overheal. Also fuck versatility.

Intuition's Gift:

Resurgence is a red herring, as mentioned above in this thread, all the more so since the other trinkets you'd consider for this slot have spirit on them. The time when Intuition's Gift would shine over Emulsion or Felspark is when you're single-target healing a tank who is getting repeatedly crushed, but not quite killed, but only within a particular short window, but somehow they can't solve this with their own cooldowns? Also, then you're tank healing as a shaman, which is not where you want to be in life.

Another possible use: With ring in some fight like Velhari (as phase 2 becomes scary) where you really just want the most massive shield-tacular ring absorb ever. This seems like the most promising strat for IG, really.

Desecrated Shadowmoon Insignia:

This might sim higher HPS than Felspark depending on the damage patterns of the fight, I haven't looked. It wouldn't shock me for this to be true on something simulating a really sketchy progression fight with high raid damage; mastery is too good then. But keep in mind you're a healer, not DPS--you don't get to pick when you use your cooldowns on the fly to line them up with a trinket proc. The boss--or your raid leader, depending on your raid's level of organization--picks when you use them. You'll just waste the proc a lot, which just turns this into another bad Felspark.