FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
bangorme

Supremacy vrs Sacrifice

When I'm raiding with a better warlock than myself, I like to get advice.  One advised yesterday that I should only use Sacrifice on purely single target fights, and use Supremacy for the others.  Do any of you have a thought about this?  Second, how does this increase damage over Sacrifice?  I started out Supremacy, but found that my demon was often wandering around, rather than doing damage.  

Another thing he said was to drop the Glyph of Unstable Affliction because it isn't a dps gain.  Well, I knew that from the guide here, but thought  that since NONE of them are really a dps gain,  this glyph shortened cast time a little.  Do I misunderstand this?

The reason for supremecay over sacrifice on multi target fights like council style is that sacrifice only buffs our drain soul damage and the dot damage from drain soul. The problem is that with our tier 18 class trinket and shortnded dot length, you are basically recasting dots for most of the fight and you get very low drain soul uptime.

By using supremacy, you get an alternative damage source going while you are constantly re dotting everything. I would suggest using an imp over the other pets since it is ranged damage. Less wandering around. If you reallly want to go next level, you can put your pet on passive and create a petattack macro so it stays on 1 target and doesnt wonder.

The glyph does shorten cast time but since the baseline cast is shorter than the gcd anyways, you gain no advantage in a pve scenario with the glyph. You could technically argue its a tiny fractional dps gain by sligjtly resucing the amount of time it takes ro get the dot on a target...but i wouldnt actually say it does much. It is a pvp glyph to help shorten the interuptable window on the cast.

Hope that helps.

I personally like glyphed UA just because it gives me that extra split second to finish refreshing UA before I have to move for a mechanic/the boss moves out of range/etc. That's just my preference, though.

You should be using Grimoire of Sacrifice on every single fight except Council and Mythic Xhul'horac (if you aren't playing destro there), and that is only if you have class trinket. As soon as Gurtogg dies, Drain Soul becomes relevant again because you're applying dots less and have more time for filler spells, and you should also be weaving it in to refresh your Haunt duration on Blademaster and Gurtogg while Dark Soul is up. On every other fight you play Affliction, Sacrifice will always be better.

Glyphed UA is still valuable because with it unglyphed the cast time is slightly longer than a GCD which means it takes longer to apply all your dots (UA>Agony>Corruption). When it's glyphed, with enough haste you will notice the cast ends pretty much exactly as your GCD comes back up as well, and because you are casting it faster it means you're able to starting moving earlier, which is extremely valuable when it's needed. It's not a DPS gain, but it's still useful. Moving when you should be drain souling is a significant dps loss.

Hope this helped.