Blainie

Overwatch Blue Posts: Win-Loss Ratios and Support Medals

Sign in to follow this  

1 post in this topic

16454-overwatch-blue-posts-win-loss-rati

Jeff Kaplan has been setting a fantastic example for others to follow in his attempt to keep on top of all the feedback the community provides. Check out some of his latest posts on the Overwatch forums, where he discusses the feedback he has received concerning win-loss ratios, as well as the introduction of a new medal for supports.

The first post is a pretty huge one, in which Kaplan goes through some pretty amazingly well thought-out points. The initial OP posted concerning his win-loss ratio of 18-32 since the stats on Beta were reset. He stated that it was beginning to get demoralising, since he simply couldn't win the majority of his games. Kaplan responded really well, walking the readers through his thought processes and what was being done, as well as why it was being done in that way. Check out the post below:

Blizzard Icon Jeff Kaplan on Win-Loss Ratios

+ Show
Hi Koot,

We really appreciate the feedback. For what it's worth, joining a match late should not result in a loss. If it does, this is a bug and will be fixed.

There are a lot of converging factors that here at work. It's a very complicated problem. Most people believe that putting people in matches together is a very scientific process (and parts of it are). But there is so much going on psychologically and emotionally that at times, matchmaking has more to do with perception than anything else.

Ideally, all players would have a 50/50 win loss ratio. I think intellectually everyone gets that. It sounds very reasonable. Or if I said, we're going to have two teams play 2 games. Team 1 will win the first game and Team 2 will win the second game. That sounds pretty balanced. I don't think there is disagreement on this part of the discussion.

Where it gets more tricky is when you as an individual decide to play 500 matches over the course of many weeks. If we were sitting over coffee and I said to you, hey you're going lose 250 matches of Overwatch in the next few weeks, suddenly that sounds pretty lousy. Losing half of your games is not what most players want. Players want to win more often than they lose (this is why we love making PvE stuff so much -- plus we don't let our bots post on the forums...)

Another factor that comes into play here is streaks. If we assume that 50/50 is a good win/loss ratio and you happen to have some good winning streaks it inevitably means that some loss streaks are going to happen. Psychologically, we tend to take note and remember the loss streaks more than the win streaks. Yesterday, there was a beta tester who started a thread citing that they were upset because they had lost 4 games in a row. It was a good thread and I appreciated the player's point of view (hearing their perception is important to us). But it also made me think about the psychology of winning vs. losing. I haven't ever seen someone post in these forums that the matchmaker is broken because they just won 4 games in a row...

Now, to provide a little more substance (other than my subjective rambling) we do actively break up matches when we detect players have been losing too much. We don't do anything to prevent a group or team from winning too much, however. Losing streaks are bad and ideally we could minimize these. We try to put a person who has lost many times in a row against players he/she is more likely to beat. We can't always guarantee that win, however.

Another compounding problem we have is what heroes players decide to play. All of us are better and worse at some heroes. It's impossible for the game to know that this is the round that you decided to start learning D.Va on. The match is already in progress by the time you might switch to her. Many times we analyze what players have perceived to be an "unfair" match and realize that the skill levels were actually very close but one team played their "best" heroes while the other team played their "worst" heroes.

Overwatch is a very team oriented game. There are not a lot of shooters that demand as much team coordination as Overwatch does. This is what makes Overwatch special but also can cause frustration for players queuing by themselves. Obviously, we want to support solo queuing. And we have a lot of ideas how to make it better. But it's never going to be as consistently fun as playing with others who you know and trust. Think about going out on a Friday night. Imagine going out with your 5 closest friends and doing whatever it is you think is fun. Now imagine you asked me to find 5 people for you to go out with tonight. I could be very systematic, strategic and scientific in finding those people for you. Maybe I look for people of similar age, demographic... people with similar interests. What are the odds that you're going to have fun with the 5 strangers I just picked for you? Personally, I have no clue. It could be an amazing time or it could be a disaster. If it's a disaster, you're going to blame me and my methodology for picking. That's the situation we're in here.

Another factor weighing in (and one that will cause controversy and ire when I mention it) is that we are in a low population scenario right now. This is by design. We're not looking to support a large population until Open Beta. Lower population situations mean that we're often "looser" in the skill banding when it comes to matchmaking. We have a protected "newbie" pool but it becomes less protected with fewer people (not to mention when people decide to form groups of varying skill and experience levels). Things will smooth out quite a bit once we have more players to match from.

I was a very active player in the Hearthstone Alpha as well as Closed Beta. Early on, I was having fun and loving the game. But later, I could no longer win anymore. Hearthstone was my first CCG so I was still learning. I stopped having fun in the small pool because it was full of sharks. But fast forward to today and I am usually somewhere between rank 7-12 at the end of as season (my highest is 4). So as an "above average" player the alpha was rough for me but the live game, with lots of players playing is extremely fun for me. Looking at your stats, Koot, you're a very good player. You're above average and in about the top 25% of the beta player base. So it's not you and some lack of skill.

We're going to make some tweaks soon to some things. We're going to look again at Groups and how we match them up. We want to be careful to NOT discourage grouping (we've seen this happen in all of our multiplayer games -- if you're too strict, players feel like grouping is bad and they prefer to play solo). Earlier in the beta we were too strict on grouping and players stopped grouping. We loosened up but we think by too much. We're also going to look at newbies (players with less than 20 matches) and player levels and see if there's something we can do there. If nothing else than to help with the perception of "why did I get matched with this guy who doesn't know what he is doing". Also, we're doing a big pass of re-flowing the new user experience. Right now, the game dumps new players into Quick Play too quickly. They should be doing the tutorial, practicing in the range and playing vs. AI before coming into quick play. We think this will help some too.

I know players want more information than this. But like I said, matchmaking can be extremely complicated. I hope you understand how seriously we take our matchmaking ability. We are constantly working on it. It's also really rough because we do experiments while we're in beta that we would not do in a live environment. I know this can be unpleasant for you and cause some strife for that, I am sorry. But we do appreciate you helping to make the game better.

--jeffrey

(source)

In the same thread as above, Kaplan noted that the team has plans to introduce a different system for "backfills" than is currently in place. In the beta currently, if you join a game late and lose, you will be given a loss, regardless of if you join with 5 seconds to spare. The team instead hopes to prevent this from happening, while still granting you a win if you join late and end up winning the game.

Blizzard Icon Kaplan on Backfills

+ Show
Just as a quick update, we have not yet fixed the issue that's causing "backfills" to get losses. In an upcoming patch, if you are backfilled into a losing match, you will not take a loss for it. On the flip side, if you backfill and win, we will give you the win.

(source)

The next blue post from Kaplan gave us new insight into the statistics surrounding the ever-complained about Temple of Anubis. The OP posted concerning the choke point on the map in which the defense team can often hold indefinitely, unless you employ a solid strategy and efficient teamwork. A patch was implemented recently that changed elements of the map, so Kaplan posted statistics relating to games played since Tuesday.

Blizzard Icon Statistics on Temple of Anubis

+ Show
For perspective...

As of Tuesday's patch Temple of Anubis is won 49.2% of the time by attackers and 50.8% of the time by defenders.

The first point falls to attackers 76.9% of the time.

(source)

The last post coming from Kaplan was a short, but extremely welcome one. It looks like the final blow medal will be replaced with a support-based medal, in order to provide some more recognition for the non-damage dealers.

Blizzard Icon New Medal

+ Show
We just replaced the Final Blow medal with Healing Done. Coming soon(ish)

(source)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Starym
      The All-Star Weekend is fast approaching, only two weeks away in fact, and Blizzard just shared a lot of details about the event and more specifically, it's format. We've already heard about the two new skins the event will be bringing  to the game and now we found out how to get them: they'll be available for a limited time only,  August 17–27 and each will cost 300 Overwatch League Tokens.
      The actual format of the weekend, starting on August 25th, will have 2 separate sections for the two days, starting with custom skill matches on Saturday (Lucioball Showdown, Mystery Heroes, Widowmaker 1v1 with only headshots counting for eliminations, Talent Takedown where casters and analysts will go head to head in a regular 6v6 series, and finally Lockout Elimination). Then we have the big event on Sunday, the actual All-Star game where the Atlantic team will meet the Pacific in 6v6 using standard competitive settings, playing 5 maps.
      Check out the full details below:
      All-Star Weekend (source)
      We’re just two weeks from the first-ever Overwatch League All-Star Weekend, and today we’re revealing the custom game modes and format for both days of competition. Additionally, we have new details on the limited-time legendary All-Star skins for Tracer and Genji (see below).
      All-Star Weekend festivities kick off on Saturday, August 25, with a series of custom skill matches. On Sunday, August 26, the Atlantic and Pacific All-Stars go head-to-head in the official All-Star Game, Powered by Intel®.
      For Saturday’s lineup of custom games, all players on each roster much compete, and there will be no substitutions within each game. Here are the custom games that will be played:
      LÚCIOBALL SHOWDOWN
      The Atlantic and Pacific teams will compete in a 3v3 best-of-three series using standard Lúcioball settings on the Busan Lúcioball Arena map. Each match will last five minutes. If a match is tied at the end of five minutes, then the next goal wins.
      MYSTERY HEROES
      The Atlantic and Pacific teams will compete in a 6v6 Mystery Heroes game using standard competitive settings in a best-of-three series on control maps Ilios, Lijiang Tower, and Nepal. For Mystery Heroes, players will be assigned a random hero at the start of each map, and a new random hero on each respawn.
      WIDOWMAKER 1v1
      The Atlantic and Pacific coaches will select their four best Widowmaker players for this mini-tournament. The four players from each squad will compete head-to-head until there’s one Atlantic and one Pacific champion. The two champions will face off in the final. The winner for all matches prior to the final will be first player to reach five eliminations. The final will be decided by the first to seven eliminations. Eliminations are headshot only, and automatic firing will be disabled. There will be no capture points, but after 30 seconds player locations will be visible to both players. A match will result in a draw after five minutes. This mode will be played on Castillo (quarterfinals), Necropolis (semifinals), and Ecopoint: Antartica (final).
      TALENT TAKEDOWN
      Presented by T-Mobile
      Prior to All-Star Weekend, the Atlantic and Pacific coaches will draft two teams of casters and analysts. (Keep an eye on our social channels for draft results!) The two teams will square off in a 6v6 best-of-three series using standard competitive settings. The first map played will be King’s Row (hybrid). The team that loses the first map gets to select the second map. If the series is tied 1-1, a game of Lúcioball will be the tiebreaker. If the Lúcioball match is tied after five minutes, the next goal wins. Overwatch League players will help call the game along with the casters and analysts not playing.
      LOCKOUT ELIMINATION
      The Atlantic and Pacific teams will square off in this 6v6 competition using standard lockout elimination settings. The winner will be determined in a best-of-three series. The maps for this mode are Oasis University, Necropolis, and Castillo.
      ALL-STAR GAME
      The format for Sunday’s Overwatch League All-Star Game, Powered by Intel®:
      Atlantic and Pacific teams will compete 6v6 using standard competitive settings Teams will play a full five-map match Map pool: King’s Row, Rialto, Horizon Lunar Colony, Route 66, and Ilios All 18 players on each team must play at least one map Substitutions can only be made between maps One All-Star coach per team will help manage rosters and strategy Sunday’s All-Star Game is sold out, but tickets are still available for Saturday’s All-Star custom games event.
      ALL-STAR LEGENDARY SKINS
      To celebrate the All-Star Game, we’re revealing two new legendary Overwatch skins: the 2018 Atlantic All-Star Tracer and the 2018 Pacific All-Star Genji. Both skins will be available for a limited time from August 17–27. Each skin is redeemable for 300 Overwatch League Tokens.
      All-Star Weekend events will be streamed live on Twitch, OverwatchLeague.com, the Overwatch League app, MLG.com, and the MLG app.
    • By Starym
      The 2018 Summer Games are here, featuring 50 new cosmetics, Lucioball and a lot of Hero tuning.
      The 2018 Summer Games have arrived and will stay until August 30th! We have over 50 new seasonal items, including the already announced legendary skins, more Lucioball and a large amount of Hero changes.
      First off it's the Hanzo, Widow, Brigitte and Mercy nerfs as well as Ana, Lucio and Moira buffs, with Zarya getting a bit of both. And then it's the usual bevy of bug fixes, with gems such as D.Va's disappearing gun while hooked and emoting, Hanzo's detachable arm while wall climbing and more!

Then there's all the new skins:

And then we have the short version of all the Hero changes, courtesy of itsjieyang:
      August 9 (source)
      PATCH HIGHLIGHTS
      Summer Games 2018
      The Summer Games return for more fun in the sun! This year, we're celebrating the spirit of competition with a new Lúcioball arena, Season 2 of Copa Lúcioball, and a smörgåsbord of loot. Unlock over 50 new seasonal items—including legendary skins like Waveracer D.Va, Fastball Zenyatta, and Cabana Ana—alongside our growing collection of summer gear from previous years.
      To learn more about Summer Games, click  here. 
      GENERAL UPDATES
      General
      Changed the name of Junkrat’s Buccaneer skin to Bilgerat Added under attack voice lines for Zenyatta, Lúcio, and Moria All Overwatch League skins now include the name of the team’s city or state Looking for Group
      Settings will be saved after changing filters on the Looking for Group browse screen Hero Gallery
      Added a What’s New option that displays new unlockable content HERO UPDATES
      General
      Some ultimate abilities now restore ammunition after completion for some heroes Abilities affected: Genji’s Dragonblade, Junkrat’s RIP-Tire, Pharah’s Barrage, Roadhog’s Whole Hog, and Zenyatta’s Transcendence, Winston’s Primal Rage Developer Comments:The change removes the need to immediately reload after a long duration ultimate.
      Ana
      Nano Boost Now also instantly heals the target for 300 health Range increased from 30 to 40 meters Developer Comments: These changes help Ana’s Nano Boost be usable in more situations. Previously it was almost entirely used to combo with other allies’ ultimates, just before they use them. With this change Nano Boost can now alternatively be used to save an ally from near death in the middle of a big fight.
      Brigitte
      Shield Bash Cooldown increased from 6 to 7 seconds Repair Pack An option to control Brigitte’s Repair Pack targeting sensitivity has been added under Options > Controls > Brigitte Developer Comments: Brigitte’s Shield Bash is one of her strongest abilities, and its short cooldown can make it difficult to play against. Slightly increasing its cooldown will give her opponents more opportunity to play around it. We’ve also added an option to control Brigitte’s Repair Pack targeting sensitivity which will allow players to reduce the width of the search angle for the ability. This is useful for trying to target specific allies in the middle of a fight at the cost of making it a bit harder to target allies in general.
      Doomfist
      Rocket Punch No longer impacts Symmetra’s teleporter Now destroys Symmetra’s sentry turrets without stopping his movement Developer Comments: These changes are just quality of life improvements for how Doomfist interacts with Symmetra’s placed objects.
      Hanzo
      Lunge Cooldown increased from 4 to 5 seconds Developer Comments: Hanzo’s Lunge ability allows him to be a bit too evasive, so we’re increasing the cooldown to make him easier to catch.
      Lúcio
      Crossfade Aura radius increase from 10 to 12 meters Sound Barrier Temporary shields granted increased from 500 to 750 Developer Comments: Increasing the amount of shield health gained from Lúcio’s Sound Barrier should make it more effective against incoming burst damage. As part of his last rework, Crossfade’s radius was heavily reduced, but its potency was increased to compensate. While the change was better for him overall, the radius was small enough that it was often difficult to keep his allies in range during a fight, even if they felt reasonably close together. The increased radius should help in these situations.
      Mercy
      Caduceus Staff Healing beam reduced from 60 healing per second to 50 healing per second Developer Comments: Mercy’s previous healing output made her nearly irreplaceable in any team composition. Even after this change she will still be able to deliver more healing over the course of a match than any other support hero, but it should allow for other healers to be more viable.
      Moira
      Biotic Grasp Passive energy regeneration rate increased from 2 per second to 2.4 per second Developer Comments: This change should help Moira in situations where there are no enemies within reach but your team still requires a lot of healing. She will still need to drain enemies to be fully effective, but this just helps her a bit in the rare cases where there is an extended long-range fight that she can’t reasonably take part in.
      Reinhardt
      Barrier Field Decorative insignia no longer protrudes from the shield’s surface Developer Comments: By smoothing out Reinhardt’s Barrier Field, he now will be able to consistently block enemy abilities and projectiles that could sometimes unintentionally sneak through (e.g. Junkrat’s grenades).
      Sombra
      General Reduced the size of Sombra’s head hit volume Developer Comments: The head changes are mostly a bug fix, as her head hit volume was abnormally large, especially from behind. Previously if you fired at her from behind near her upper spine, you could land a head shot. Now her head volume is much more accurate.
      Symmetra
      Photon Projector Primary fire range increased from 10 to 12 Developer Comments: Symmetra’s primary fire has huge damage potential but it is too difficult to charge because of its low range and slow charge rate. We’re increasing the range to see how it plays out, giving her more opportunities to use it, especially against enemy barriers.
      Widowmaker
      Grappling Hook Cooldown increased from 8 seconds to 10 seconds Developer Comments: The increased cooldown will slightly reduce the frequency that Widowmaker can reposition herself. This allows her to be threatened more easily by agile enemy heroes such as Winston and Genji.
      Zarya
      Energy Drain rate reduced from 2 energy per second to 1.6 energy per second Graviton Surge Radius reduced from 8 to 6 meters Developer Comments: The smaller radius on Graviton Surge makes it more reasonable for her enemies to try countering it by staying spread out, as well as putting more focus on Zarya to position the ultimate correctly to impact the most players possible. However, the intent of these changes isn’t to lessen Zarya’s overall power significantly so we’re reducing her energy drain rate, which should keep her energy higher on average resulting in more damage and quicker ultimate charge times. Overall, this takes some power out of her ultimate and distributes it else ware to add more counter play against her.
      GAME BROWSER AND CUSTOM GAMES
      Heroes
      Brigitte’s Repair Pack now has a minimum cooldown time of 1.5 seconds regardless of custom game settings BUG FIXES
      General
      Fixed a bug that displayed an inaccurate AFK countdown timer before removing players from a match if they were flagged as AFK more than once Fixed a bug that caused the player camera to display an odd location before switching to the first-person view of the selected hero after Assemble Your Team phase ends AI
      Fixed a bug that caused Torbjörn bot to fire his gun endlessly if his turret is teleported by a Symmetra player Competitive Play
      Fixed a bug that could cause players to lose an endorsement level if they exited before a match completes, but after the return timer for a leaving player has expired Heroes
      Brigitte
      Fixed a bug that allowed projectiles and splash damage to penetrate Brigitte’s Barrier Shield while dashing with the ability D.Va
      Fixed a bug that caused D.Va’s Light Gun to disappear if Roadhog used Chain Hook on her while she used an emote Genji
      Fixed a visual issue that prevented Genji’s Shuriken ammunition from displaying the correct number briefly after activating Dragonblade Fixed a bug that caused Genji’s arms to detach from his body if he looked straight down a wall while climbing over edges Hanzo
      Fixed a bug that caused Hanzo’s arms to detach from his body if he looked straight down a wall while climbing over edges Junkrat
      Fixed a bug that refilled Junkrat’s ammo if RIP-Tire failed to cast Fixed a bug that refilled Junkrat's ammo if he attempted to use RIP-Tire while airborne Lúcio
      Fixed a bug that allowed Lúcio to gain ultimate charge while Sound Barrier was active if he got hacked Orisa
      Fixed a bug that caused the health bar on Orisa’s Protective Barrier to disappear when she used Supercharger Reinhardt
      Fixed a bug that prevented cracks from appearing on Reinhardt’s Overwatch League Away skins when his Barrier Field takes damage Roadhog
      Fixed a bug that prevented Roadhog’s Chain Hook from retracting to his hand if he is interrupted mid-cast Sombra
      Fixed a bug that caused Sombra’s visual effects to display darker than intended Fixed a bug that allowed Sombra to destroy her Translocator after teleporting to it Fixed a bug that caused Sombra’s Translocator to bleed when struck by enemy players Tracer
      Fixed a bug that caused Tracer’s Pulse Bombs to stick onto the wrong side of shields when the targeted enemy moved quickly Wrecking Ball
      Fixed a bug that prevented Wrecking Ball from using sprays when in Roll form Fixed a bug that allowed Piledriver to displace Mei while she is in Cryo-freeze Zarya
      Fixed a bug that caused Zarya’s Graviton Surge visual effects to extend beyond the ability’s radius Hero Gallery
      Fixed a bug that prevented rotating hero models while viewed in the Hero Gallery when equipped with Overwatch League skins Fixed a bug that prevented the Communication Wheel from functioning when equipping a spray, voice line, or emote from a Loot Box Looking for Group
      Fixed a bug that caused some groups to be unable to queue for a game mode Maps
      Eichenwalde
      Fixed a bug that caused Eichenwalde’s castle gate to falls into the ground when destroyed by the payload  
      Previous Live patch notes.
      PTR patch notes.
    • By Starym
      The Summer Games start today and we got another 3 skins revealed in the past couple of days as well! It seems Lacrosse Roadhog is the clear winner of this new skin-off, but there will be more new skins coming with the games, like the Sombra Mexico epic skin.
    • By Starym
      The 2018 Summer Games are almost upon us and with only 3 days to go it's time for some skin previews! We have D.Va's Waveracer, Gridironhardt Reinhardt and finally, Catcher Winston.
    • By Starym
      It's time for another event! This time it's the 2018 Summer Games, presumably featuring Lucioball once more, with the usual new skins and cosmetics to be had and purchased. Last year we had the new cosmetics costing the normal amount, but also could buy 2016's skins at a discount.

The event runs for three weeks from August 9th to the 30th, so get on in there and play some ball!