FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
l0t3k

torn between feral and boomkin

thread topic pretty much says it all.

Im currently boomkin and I know the main thing that is causing me now to enjoy it is the whole balance bar. how are feral are they any easier to play? I have seen boomkins destroy stuff however I just keep getting so damn aggravated with the balance bar lol

• Like 1

As fas as I'm aware - feral is pretty much same diff level as boomkin was back in MoP. And if you did not know - WoD used the nerf hammer for boomkin mechanics to crush them, and after they were done - they spit on boomkin face that bot-mode balance bar. 

I'm just really mad since I loved raiding as a boomie in SoO, and when wod came out - I wasn't very amazed by the new way that eclipse system worked. Compared to feral - boomkin is way easier now. I've tried feral at the start of the expansion, and after couple of hours I felt like I've only scratched the spec, and I would need way more time to reach same level as I've had with boomkin. And as I didn't have enough time for that, I decided to stick with boomkin. All in all - what it takes to "get the spec" is understanding how the eclipse power bar works, and getting used to it. At first it is quite frustrating, but after a while you will just know what and when to cast. 

However I strongly recommend getting weakauras to help with your UI. Having that eclipse bar in a comfortable position helps a lot :) 

Ferals at a raiding level are usually considered one of, if not the most difficult dps specs to play, but they aren't complicated for just soloing stuff. I'd just give both a shot and do what you like the most.

thread topic pretty much says it all.

Im currently boomkin and I know the main thing that is causing me now to enjoy it is the whole balance bar. how are feral are they any easier to play? I have seen boomkins destroy stuff however I just keep getting so damn aggravated with the balance bar lol

I was in same situation few weeks ago. Jumped from bear/cat to resto/boom, got myself some nice raid gear but found out that boomkin is kinda hard spec to play at hc/mythic -level. Resto is so much fun but I'm not planning to raid as healer so back to feral I go and it feels good after small break. :)

It's weird to hear that people think balance is hard... Well I've been playing it for a while, but compared to MoP it's difficulty is nerfed to the ground. In Legion however it looks like to get some depth again and be more interesting (and harder) to play again. However you should just play the spec that looks and feels better to you :)

boomies are crazy burst machines right now. so i personally find that really fun.

feral as noted is sorta hard, its also gear dependent and somewhat unforgivable until you get gear. now once you have 4 set and class trinket feral becomes slightly more dynamic but even then, I just don't like the blood talons play style.

so before 4 set and class trinket: boomie. 

once you get 4 set and class trinket: feral

once you realize feral is still stupid even though you are doing good deeps: boomie

again i just really hate blood talons XD

Both specs tend to have amazing versatility in a raid comp, things like NV allow the true hybrid nature of the class to come through with either spec.

Feral tends to be better single target, and balance is great at providing a blanket type of AoE.

Feral is definitely the more difficult rotation at the moment, balance has a bit of a learning curve, but the eclipse system becomes innate very quickly & you'll find that at a certain point, it just clicks.

In terms of fun, I think balance is the go-to spec, who doesn't enjoy starfall, I mean, come on.

They're both fun, they both have great versatility & utility in a raid core, really just boils down to, owl or cat, melee or ranged type of argument. Pick what you enjoy playing.

Tips for eclipse bar, get a weak aura to keep track of it for you, learn to anticipate & cast based on the anticipation, rather than following the bar to a T, & spend some time practicing with it, eventually it WILL just click for you.

Thanks for reading, best of luck fellow moonkin friend!

Thunder

13/13m Boomkin.

I think it was back in wrath when I fell in love with boomkin because my raid group needed another DPS and not a healer. I've always just adapted to the eclipse system its failry strait forward. I do agree WOD kind of dumbed it down to the point you knew if you made the wrong cast. I wish I was in beta but from what I can tell they are being dumbed down even more. is there 1 mob do this tell there is X mobs then do that instead. The changes to starfall I hope are good but they will make rushing old content less simple. I've been wondering about trying feral myself and may do so if I dont get beta soon.

I think it was back in wrath when I fell in love with boomkin because my raid group needed another DPS and not a healer. I've always just adapted to the eclipse system its failry strait forward. I do agree WOD kind of dumbed it down to the point you knew if you made the wrong cast. I wish I was in beta but from what I can tell they are being dumbed down even more. is there 1 mob do this tell there is X mobs then do that instead. The changes to starfall I hope are good but they will make rushing old content less simple. I've been wondering about trying feral myself and may do so if I dont get beta soon.

If there was ever a time to try feral, it's now, especially in PvP. They are just amazing.