FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
itsTort

Assistance with DPS optimization (Survival) WoL parse included.

Armory Link: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/lightbringer/Tortirra

First, let me start out by saying; that I know I am doing things wrong with my priority/rotation and focus management. I feel like I could, and should be doing much more dps with my current gear. I've witnessed a worse geared survival Hunter put out some fairly insane numbers.

I am just looking for advice as to what I am doing wrong, and how I should try to fix it. I can start with the most noticeable issue that I am aware about thus far. That being my Serpent Sting up-time. It's absolutely trash, it should be 90%+, but I let it fall off too much and average around 50-60% up time.

My other issue stems from focus management/starvation (at times). I often times find myself spitting out 2-3 Arcane shots back to back, which; in turn, when my Explosive Shot comes off Cool Down, I find myself send out 3-4 Cobra Shots to get the Focus back, leaving my Explosive Shot unused for a good 2-3 GCD rounds.

here are some of my parses, including 25m HoF/Terrace

iLvl: 488

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/lgwzp2a7isjfo3zg/sum/damageDone/

iLvl: 492

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/9rs2cyq9kamgnowt/sum/damageDone/

I definitely like to min/max a bit, and Hunter is still a fairly new class to me (coming from playing a Warlock most of my time in WoW).

It's easy to tell that you have the correct gearing, so I'll try to give some pointers that aren't immediately obvious to most starting hunters.

1) start of fight spell usage: If you have A Murder of Crow, you'll want to push that lower in priority than explosive shot, black arrow, glaive toss, basically anything. Reason is, for most fight lengths, you'll get a discrete number of these even with a little delay, but you can gain an extra explosive or what have you.

For instance on Protectors I would suggest: ExS, SS, BA, GT, DB, Stampede, ExS, Rapid, SS, SS, SS, AMoC (with a procced LnL somewhere in there). What I aim for is 5 instants between my 1st and 2nd ExS to maximize spell usage. I'll generally wait to use my Readiness after my 2nd GT, going GT, Readiness, ExS, GT (note that you can't cast a GT while another is in the air). I also highly suggest trying out Fervor over DB to as that really smooths out your focus issues for AMoC.

2) Don't misdirect more than is needed. You had 16 MDs on Protectors, which is 15 more than you need on that fight and 15s of wasted specials. Feign death is much more effective if you have threat issues (although that fight shouldn't have any...).

3) At the end of fight, be very careful using Arcane Shot. Due to adding 2x Kill Shot into rotation, you have much less shots for Cobras, both to keep SS up and focus regen. It is very easy to cause delays to ExS, Black Arrow, GT due to focus, or have to do emergency Cobras to refresh SS/recast a dropped SS because of one or two Arcanes. Just remember that focus needs to be high at the end in general, and to keep SS up as that easily falls off due to the number of non-Cobra specials.

General advice is to practice on a dummy until you're comfortable with your focus management. If you manage your focus such that you're able to cast your specials on time every time, only delaying because you have to cast higher priority specials, then you're in a good spot.

• Like 1

I made this post awhile back ,and forgot to say thank you! I just wanted to say thank you for the help there ^_^

Also, not that it matters this late into it, but I have misdirect macroed into every ability, and set to my focus target. It's not on the GCD, so it shouldn't affect my damage. Just helps the tank with threat. Although, in ToT it's more of a hassle than anything, and I need to get rid of it.

Specially on fights like Horridon.xD

Edited by itsTort