FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Ishamheal

Need help with my resto shammy

Hey guys

so i am struggling with heals at the moment, i was great in cata but mop i cant bet any class i can just keep up.

i never go oom current ilvl is 497. the other 2 heals are disc priest 505 holy pally 507 at the moment the holy pally does about 2times as much heals as me.

current spells i use chain heal, surge heal, healing wave, healing rain, healing stream totem when its up, riptide earth shield, earthliving weapon for massive heal if needed with unleashed elements. cds are healing tide totem, mana tide totem, ascendence, spirit totem.

Have 2 trinkets that i pop if i need mana. i have my water shield up always. i have been healing for 3 yrs. from the end of lk to now always a healer.

Here is my shammy link from the armoury.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/amanthul/Ishamhèál/simple

plz guys if u hav any info would be great

cant give you a real answer as i am struggling myself with my shammy too. Like you keep things up and on cd like we have to and always did. However i really do have some mana problems lately and i have no clue why.

So yes i would like answers like you do too. As one additional question what are the best trinkets for my ilvl atm, i am really confused about what is good at the moment. Do have other ones (lower ilvl) in my bank if the question will be answered.

here's mine http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/kilrogg/Twilights/advanced

constructive advice and/or tips for the both of us would be welcome

Could you provide World of Log parses to help us see what you're doing?

It could be a simple and the Disc priests and holy paladins are taking all the healing.

Before i left my raid, the holy pala and the holy priest outrunned me in healing too.

What i told them, when the topic came up is, that i could not make use of my mastery.

They healed every percent of health-loss as soon, as it occured, while i like to wait a bit, before i start, so my mastery kicks in.

Another Problem in my raidgroup was, that they tried to do it in X-healing. I think even in 10-man you should assign healers to a special task.

X-Healing will appear, but it should not be the tactic.

Could you provide World of Log parses to help us see what you're doing?

can't provide you with those, dont have them

sorry

ah lol no i only am in ele when doing daily quests, let me change it

edit GO AHEAD ;)

Edited by Daowen

Our shaman had this same issue. We run with a disc priest, holy paladin, and resto shaman, and our shaman usually doesn't do too much healing because the other two hog it all, but once we got to heroics our shaman's heals definitely caught up because there was just a lot more healing to do and not everything could get absorbed and the mastery could actually be put to work. I'd say just wait until you get to a fight where you guys can't keep up in healing and determine then if your healing isn't high enough.

I don't see much healing with Healing Rain. I use unleash elements before a healing rain to get increased healing output from healing rain.

On the lightning storm i use; Ascendance then Healing Rain then Spirit Link and then continue chain heal.

Hi guys,

My Shaman http://eu.battle.net...axshaa/advanced is my 2nd toon and geared as such.

I am currently (I think I was doing dailies at the time) wearing my healing gear but in Elemental spec! Oops!

Anyway... both of you are very highly stacked with mastery (>8000 / 67%) but very low on haste (<1600 / 9%). Mastery is great but as you have mentioned on really kicks so if you have AOE healers (especially pala and disc priests) you don't really stand a chance.

With the help of IV Reforging http://www.icy-veins...ority-reforging and what has been mentioned above I would recommend you reduce mastery (to somewhere around 50-60%) and increase haste. With Ancestral Swiftness which I've talented into on Resto I have reached the 25% haste cap and I have around 56% mastery.

Ideally if you're RL knows classes well he should really assign you to two or three high damage targets (such as the tanks) to take advantage of your 'bonus' healing with low heath targets. Just imagine you solo healing the tanks on tortos with the other healers focussing on the group?!?

My rotation is something like as follows:

NOTE I practically ignore Healing Wave these days as the two set bonus means GHW is way more efficient.

Tank (normal damage):

Earth Shield / Riptide / Greater Healing Wave

Tank (high damage):

ES / RT / Unleash Elements (which procs talented Unleashed Fury) / GHW(+50% from proc)

Healing Stream totem on CD

Healing Tide as required

On occasions I use healing rain for locallised healing, such as MSV Fengs epicenter.

I've never ever used, or even needed, Healing Surge!

---

Another note of wonderful wonderful healing meters... ignore em! They are the bane of any efficient healer which is what a shammy must do! Next time you've finished a boss just click over to "overhealing done" to see exactly how much of the amazing healing is actually wasted!

Once you've done this ignore it because unfortunately the way some classes work they have no choice but to overheal.

As long as you don't go OOM in the first two minutes then all will be well :)

Edited by Martyx
  • Like 2

I don't see much healing with Healing Rain. I use unleash elements before a healing rain to get increased healing output from healing rain.

On the lightning storm i use; Ascendance then Healing Rain then Spirit Link and then continue chain heal.

I agree with this. You should be trying to use Healing Rain on CD and getting your raid members to stand in it. All of your healing gives them extra health to help them survive longer and a chance to pot an extra hot. Healing rain helps greatly in this regard.

Another note of wonderful wonderful healing meters... ignore em! They are the bane of any efficient healer which is what a shammy must do! Next time you've finished a boss just click over to "overhealing done" to see exactly how much of the amazing healing is actually wasted!

Once you've done this ignore it because unfortunately the way some classes work they have no choice but to overheal.

As long as you don't go OOM in the first two minutes then all will be well Posted Image

I disagree with the first part (with some cases) and agree with the last.

I disagree with ignoring healing meters because it allows me to see how the other healers are doing relative to each other. It tells me "Hey I'm playing badly, so i need to step up my game" or "How are they doing more healing than me and can I fix myself?". If I am going OOM, then I learn to restrain myself and watch accordingly to where I can output more healing in specific areas instead of low damage.

Then, when I'm on farm content, its all about trying to beat the other healers. Most of my healing team does this. We try to conserve some mana, but we are less efficient during farm content because the mechanics are easily under our fingers that we can spare more. For us, the fun lies in the competition, even if it means grotesque overhealing. "Who can output the most healing?"

I think this helps us be more efficient in heroics. To find where we can squeeze the extra healing out to be more aware of what is going on with the raid.

This is a mindset I've learned to have after about 2 years of heroic progression with my healing team. Right now we have 3 holy paladins in our 25 man, and they usually kick all the other healer's ass becasue of their crazy absorb. Our 2 shamans and druid usually can never compete. I on the other hand, as a Mistweaver monk, fluctuate per fight between then and being on top or below them.

I kinda see it like this for my personal: Paladins and Monk are the throughput of the healers. 4 healers just trying to top off the raid. While the 1 (or 2) shamans add utility to the raid with the extra health and amazing healing cooldowns for emergencies and with the druid buffering the raid with HoT's just to try to stop the raid from dieing by letting them have "less than 2% hp" sort of scenario. Sometimes a Disc priest is thrown in there, and he does superb healing as well by just stopping a lot of the damage in general.

TL;DR: Healing meters only useful for analysis during progression; during farm competition is the only thing that keeps me sane.

Sorry if I went on a tangent, but that is just my personal opinion on healing meters.

• Like 2

You seem to be using Chain Heal a lot, which is great, but also depends on the fight. Chain Heal is not so good if it can't chain to enough people. On Jin'rokh, it's probably fine, and I'm just going to give you a suggestion to chew on and maybe try out to see what you think; it's by no means the best or only way to do it, it's just how I do it without having to use Chain Heal very much.

Personally, I tend to spot heal more than AoE heal, mostly because I don't like using Chain Heal very much what with its high mana cost. Have you considered using Conductivity (or whatever that skill is called I can't remember atm) for some fights rather than HTT? I use Conductivity for Jin'rokh and Megaera, specifically, because you need to stack up often on those fights — with your whole raid standing in Healing Rain, and with Conductivity (especially if you pair it with Unleashed Fury and use Unleash Elements before putting down Healing Rain), you can spam Greater Healing Wave on people that are taking heavier damage than average and everyone will benefit from the spread healing, and it seems to be stronger than Chain Heal. It's only useful on stacking fights, though, so use HTT on fights with more movement or more spread; I normally pair HTT with Primal Elementalist, either to help group DPS or for them to channel on me to help my spot healing more because I use HR less on spread fights.

You also only have a 50-ish% uptime on Tidal Waves — you should aim to have this closer to 100% by casting Riptide more often, because it speeds up your Healing Wave and Greater Healing Wave casts significantly, and also gives your Healing Surge an extra 30% chance to crit, which can literally save someone's life if they're low health. I almost always keep Earth Shield and Riptide running on the tank currently tanking, as well as Riptide on the other tank, and I cast Riptide on anyone that needs to be topped up if I don't have Tidal Waves up for quick Healing Waves.

Tidal Waves is easy to forget while AoE healing, so if you were to take Conductivity and Unleashed Fury for tight stacking like with Jin'rokh and Megaera, you can do the following to keep it up:

Unleash Elements > Healing Rain > Ascendance > Chain Heal > Greater Healing Wave > Greater Healing Wave > Chain Heal > Greater Healing Wave > etc.

This is what I do and I managed to heal through an entire Lightning Storm completely alone because the other two healers were dead. It's super powerful AoE healing, and Chain Heal keeps Tidal Waves up so it can speed up your GHWs.

Also, don't underestimate Healing Wave: I don't have World of Logs parses because I usually do normal-mode PUGs, but I use Healing Waves probably 75% of the time when there isn't really really high damage coming in. Healing Wave is so low mana cost that you can literally spam it and you will actually get mana back faster than you can use it with spirit on all your gear, plus with high crit it also procs Resurgence for even more mana back. It's awesome to use on low damage phases to keep people topped up, it's quick to cast with Tidal Waves up, and as a bonus you also slowly regain mana you'll need for heavier damage phases!

There are some main things to understand about a resto shaman to know whether or not you should be doing more healing or whether or not you should be going oom.

1) Our mastery is very nice to boost almost all our healing by at least a little bit. But as you said you don't have anything to heal. To fix that problem pay attention to timers and precast unleashed elements on targets (usually tanks) that are expecting a big hit.

2) Healing Stream Totem is one of the nicest totems that we have in our arsenal. Reason being is because it heals the lowest targets out of the raid so it makes our mastery very effective for it. Also once you get your T15 2 set bonus it is an AMAZING totem I've seen that its always within my top 4 heals now that I have the 2 set.

3) Crit! I could go on for about an hour telling you why crit is amazing but I hope you know that by now. What I've always done is hit a certain amount of haste, 50% mastery, then CRIT CRIT CRIT! But one thing though is never take away from spirit because crit is very weird with the way it works because you can go a whole fight critting every other heal or you could crit every 15 spells.

4) Haste. Why haste you might ask? Well there really isn't any reason for much haste since our breakpoints are significantly low then shoot really high so what I would suggest is hit 871 if you do not have the T15 2 set and if you do have the 2 set then shoot for 3764.

5) Mastery. It hits its diminishing returns at or around 50% so that's what I suggest you shoot for since everything above that is more beneficial in crit.

6) Healing Wave + Riptide combo. This is a really strong combo since it is extremely mana efficient and has good output.

I heal 10m's with a Disc Priest and Resto Druid in ToT progression so this is my opinion that I've used throughout this whole raid right now and I usually fight for first place with either the priest or Druid depending on the fight.

Talents that I suggest you use: Healing tide without a doubt for every encounter. This is a raid CD that out heals almost every other healing raid CD (Divine Hymn/Tranquility/Revival) which is because it is affected by our mastery. Raid CD's are very good for emergencys and help to get back into the game if there happens to be anytime during a fight where you are being overwhelmed.

The other talent that I highly suggest but can be replaced under certain scenarios is Unleashed Fury. As I said before I heal 10m's so the riptide glyph never appealed to me so the fact that I can get a heal that either matches or exceeds healing wave and a super strong HoT from unleashed fudging a Riptide makes it my go-to choice.

I hope this helps you out with your Resto Shaman.