FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Jenaye

Timing on abilities?

Hi, I'm routinely a warlock these days, but my first love will always remain my rogue. I started playing him again recently, here's the armory: http://us.battle.net...Adwiar/advanced

I know he's not gemmed/enchanted yet, but my question is related to timing of abilities. I know to open with mutilate for a freebie, rupture, mutilate, ... the attack speed buff (lol, brainfart), mutilate, envenom. I've got that down and don't struggle with that at all. I wonder about when to use vanish, and premeditate and the subsequent vanishes, as well as when to use shadow blades, vendetta and blood fury. I have 2 macros, one that uses vendetta and blood fury together, and the other that uses those 2 along with shadow blades. What kind of timing should i be looking at to maintain a decent dps? I tend to burst to near 100k, but i settle quickly to around 60k, and i feel like my gear is capable of more. I'd be appreciative of any assistance you can give. Thank you!

Jenaye,

With using the generally agreed upon opener by most rogues in the community, using vanish along with the Shadowfucus talent optimises your energy consumption

So, to clarify, using mutilate, rupture, mutilate to a SnD buff. Then, vanish and mutilate twice and envenom to refresh SnD. I believe this to be optimal as it puts the CD on vanish up early on, and also gets you your buffs up and running so you can get the to the "meat" of your rotation.

Hey again, Janaye.

Premeditation, or the ability that refreshes your vanish and other abilities is entirely situational. In a raid, a mechanic might pop up that will make you unable to attack the boss. Knowing the flight's mechanics is the only true way to know when to use a gcd to open your vanish for better energy management. Generally, however, if heroism or time-warp are out, you shouldn't have a problem with energy due to assasination's energy return with rupture and poison proc-ing more because you are attacking thirty percent faster. After hero is over I would reccomend using premeditation to vanish again only after you have rupture back on your target, and SnD is at its maximum duration. Think of it as starting the fight anew. To recap, it's entirely dependant on the fight itself as a whole, with awareness and insight as your greatest advantage.