FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
luciole

frost mage on Horridon

hello,

I try to improve myself on horridon.

I read the guide for frost mage on the site,

and i have some questions about best choice for glyph and talent on this fight.

4 glyph seems to be good, for 3 places only.

I think about

Glyph of Ice lance

Glyph of water elemental

Glyph of cone of cold

and Glyph of remove curse (for the last door)

Most of add seems to be insensible to stun, etc... so, do you use Ice ward, freeze, and frost Nova?

thank you for your answer,

and apologyse for my english, but it's not my first language :)

hello. :)

i am a frost mage that has cleared this boss many times and i use glyph of water elemental, ice lance and icy veins, this is very punishing for the adds as it has brutal damage, icy veins is used on 1st door and then on horridon/jalak, it is important to use frozen orb on each door for ice lance as it is brutal, doing this is the easyest way to do the fight with nice dps, :)

• Like 1

I can tell you my tactic for this fight and you might get some good tips while you are reading.

With these glyphs, talents, rotation I acquired ~188k DPS, which is not insanely high, but okayish.

WoL: http://worldoflogs.c.../?s=1715&e=2250

Talents:

T1: Blazing speed --> Faster movement between the doors, or when you have charge on you, or if you have to reposition yourself because of the frontal cone, or if you have tu rush away from a sand trap.

T2: Temporal Shield --> for Jalak's ability. But Ice Barrier might be a bit better.

T3: Doesn't really matter.

T4: GREATER INVISIBILITY! --> Removes all kinds of harmful dots from you. Extremely useful.

T5: Nether Tempest --> Debatable, but I think this is the stronges choice for this fight. You can dot up everything even if they are spread. Even Horridon. Living bomb is not worth it, because the adds might die faster than it explodes and it has the 3 targets limit. For frost bomb the adds would have to be stacked up but this is usually not the case. If you look at my WoL, Nether tempest did 25% of my DPS on that fight.

T6: Invocation definitely. --> Rune of power not, because you will ahve to dodge sand traps, orbs etc. Invokers' ward.. just not good Posted Image

Talents:

Glyph of Ice Lance - IMPORTANT!

Glyph of Icy Veins - I use this because I usually hit the GCD when I have trinket proc up and casting frost bolt.

The last choice is pretty much dependant...

I personally prefer using Glyph of water elemental that gives a DPS increase to your pet and mostly on every door there are adds that are more important than the others. (Like Venom Priests, Shamans, Frozen warlords etc) And for this reason I've chose a bit of single target boost. Your Nether Tempest will do the Aoe for you anyways. Posted Image

Other options:

Glyph of Remove curse, if your healers have problems with the dispeling and you usually have to do it 4-5 times per fight. However, imo it is not worth glyphing this for like 1-2 dispels.

Glyph of Cone of Cold.. Well this can be useful, but I personally think that staying away from melee range, (thus avoiding sandtraps etc more easily) can increase your DPS more by casting Frostbolt, than moving to melee and cast Cone of cold.

About the rotation. This is a bit raid dependant as well. If you have problem with killing the adds at doors, then save your cooldowns for the doors.

However, I personally usually pop my CDs on pull, then on 3rd door, then on Ja'lak. (If I remember well) And most of our raiders do the same, this way Horridon was on 10-20% when last phase started. So basically DPS Horridon when you have nothing to do. When adds start spawning, blink+blazing speed to the door. Nether Tempest everything up (Horridon as well I'd say).

On the 1st and 3rd door, the water elemental's freeze spell works and grants fingers of frost. You should use it on those doors.

You shouldn't use ice ward, frost nova (unless an add on 3rd door is on you and you want to gain distance).

Save Frozen orb, for when there are 3-4 or more enemies stacked up, otherwise just use it on CD on Horridon/Jalak.

Use many Ice lances Posted Image and stick to your single target rotation and single target deadly adds down. In fact, you can pop some aoe thingies when there are many up ofc :)

Edited by Oltier
  • Like 1

Totally agree with Benjam on the glyphs.

Oltier makes some great points! Only thing I do differently is I use Frost Bomb (my tanks are good at grouping the adds) and I love the Frost Bomb > Flamestrike > Freeze combo. But I have seen Nether Tempest do crazy damage also. I would use whichever you are more comfortable with. One other tip is to Deep Freeze adds that are freezeable (I forget which adds are susceptible, I will try to make a list this weekend). Most mages I see (all specs) forget to use Deep Freeze and remember all specs enjoy Shatter now.

thanks for answer.

In my case, our raid is well packed, so the add too. That's why i think Frost Bomb is better in my case. But effectively, i cannot buff horridon when fighting add. So i will try this

for use nethertempest, do you use a sort of macro? /cast nethertempest; focus nextarget; /cast nethertempest; ... ? or you focus add one after one?

Have you special macro for this fight?

thanks for answer.

In my case, our raid is well packed, so the add too. That's why i think Frost Bomb is better in my case. But effectively, i cannot buff horridon when fighting add. So i will try this

for use nethertempest, do you use a sort of macro? /cast nethertempest; focus nextarget; /cast nethertempest; ... ? or you focus add one after one?

If you feel that the adds are well stacked, you can use frost bomb and forget about dotting Horridon unless there's nothing else to attack.

No, I am not using any kind of macro for that. I have Tidy Plates addon, as well as ForteXorcist to double check if the nether tempest is on Horridon.

By Tidy Plates you can see the Nether tempest above the head of the mobs.

ForteXorcist is for tracking NT on Horridon (because I cannot see his name plate)

And by focusing down one add at a time, I mean like... Dot up everything with NT, then focus on one (proly the one with the lowest hp) with single target rotation.

• Like 1

Vlad, in respnse you your Freeze combo, this only works on the Faraki door as the crocs and the weak trols are the only things you can freeze in the whole fight, so its only useful for door 1, :P

thanks for answer.

If you want to multi-dot to Horridon, try Living Bomb. That way you can drop one on Horridon and two on the adds to keep DPS going on the boss while still AoEing. If your DPS is good, you will rarely have more than 4-6 targets up.

Vlad, in respnse you your Freeze combo, this only works on the Faraki door as the crocs and the weak trols are the only things you can freeze in the whole fight, so its only useful for door 1, Posted Image

Just ran LFR this weekend and yes it only works on doors 1 and 3, I think Oltier mentioned this above somewhere. Good catch though, my memory is failing Posted Image

Do you run Nether Tempest Benjam?

If you want to multi-dot to Horridon, try Living Bomb. That way you can drop one on Horridon and two on the adds to keep DPS going on the boss while still AoEing. If your DPS is good, you will rarely have more than 4-6 targets up.

I'm very excited for the Living Bomb buff coming in 5.3. Till then, I hate LB Posted Image but some of that's preference. I'm sliding to liking Nether Tempest more than Frost Bomb just because of mobility.

Just ran LFR this weekend and yes it only works on doors 1 and 3, I think Oltier mentioned this above somewhere. Good catch though, my memory is failing Posted Image

Do you run Nether Tempest Benjam?

I'm very excited for the Living Bomb buff coming in 5.3. Till then, I hate LB Posted Image but some of that's preference. I'm sliding to liking Nether Tempest more than Frost Bomb just because of mobility.

I prefer to use Living Bomb just because of its flexibility, and also because it goes off immediately if the target dies (allowing you to reapply it). On a fight with lots of squishy adds like Horridon, that's amazing. I treat it like an execute ability.

Edited by Tarazet
  • Like 1