FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
feelthebern

Current qualms with the demonology revamp as of alpha

Following along with heelvsbabyface, preach, bellular, and wowhead's documentation, this is how I feel right now:

• Previous loss of support hybrid mode (glyph of demon hunting) is amajor issue for me, class should go forward with an option for those who enjoy defensive support DPS role (think Sonya from Hots, sturdy, mops up little adds, and throws out shields for the team).
  • Purge of Leap, Meteor slam, Dark soul - Gap could be solved by having a short term cooldown to gain instant cast shadow bolt (or shadowflame in place of bolt) and empowered area attacks similar to the aesthetic of Metamorphosis, without the shapeshift resource system and overall mechanic. Seems unnecessary to gut this element of the spec, along with the style and mobility of leap/slam, as a consequence of "demon hunters are here, so no more warlock metamorphosis"

I understand that the artifact points and abilities as well as certain talents (example, shadowflame, something I will plan to always take for an instant attack) add some more depth, but it seems to me that it will not fill these gaps adequately.

I like the concept of a revamp to make the spec more unique or cohesive to play but why should really great choices, and some of the biggest style elements of the spec like its mobility and fusion with melee/support roles be lost in the process? 

I like the concept of a revamp to make the spec more unique or cohesive to play but why should really great choices, and some of the biggest style elements of the spec like its mobility and fusion with melee/support roles be lost in the process? 

You answered your own question.

why should really great choices, and some of the biggest style elements of the spec like its mobility and fusion with melee/support roles be lost in the process? 

Answer:

revamp

A lot of people want a revamp, or are at least okay with a revamp, and then want everything to stay the same. This is illogical.

Blizzard also touched on this in a blue post. Basically, they are revamping with the goal of making the classes REALLY feel different. To do this it means stripping away things that classes gained over time, but doesn't fit the current philosophy.

Here is how I would like to spec in the proposed revision - Demonbolt since I don't like the other 2, Shadowflame and mortal coil for some instant/mobile attacks, burning rush to go on f1 where leap used to be, demonic supremacy so i can get the new awesome infernal, dark soul so I don't have to manage shard gain/procs, improved dreadstalker to get the 2 imps on their backs each time I summon them. For dungeon gameplay and soloing this will feel more powerful than the present day metamorphosis and demonic fury based gameplay. More pets -> more area damage, and less standing and casting shadowbolt boringly to get the fury bar ready. 
it's far cooler, I rate it 9/10 as it currently stands- it simply lacks the cool fusion with melee and the style points of leap/slam. I am hybrid enthusiast but I'm sure very few other players will be disappointed about the lack of a support option like we used to have.

Further thoughts that I plan to submit in the official feedback thread once I gain alpha/beta account-

Unending resolve upgrade to incorporate some aesthetics that would otherwise vanish.

• Rename - Dark apotheosis borrowed from the defunct tank MoP glyph of demon hunting
  • Horns/wings graphic that we have now with demonic fury build and the minor glyph of meta (though it never had the wings properly green as they were in dark apoth form for green fire. 
  • Upgraded effect - A shield for self and group based on damage being dealt by demons and demonwrath while the ability is active, providing not only increased defense as per the existing skill, but also a support tool similar to rallying shout and vampiric embrace.

Finally, addition of a grim of supremacy (demonic servitude) cooldown summon - either the other major demon that you aren't using as your prime, or the felguard to come and cleave everything and use his stun. Slightly shorter cooldown since the warlock is specced into mastery of greater demon summon.