FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Dotties

Dottie's Guide to HFC Mythic. 10/13M

Dotties's Guide To Each Mythic Boss in HFC as a Warlock (My Way!)

Introduction: This will be a Affliction/Destro guide only atm, as ive not been using Demonology at all yet.

This guide will be going over what spec, talents and trinkets you should IN MY OPINION be using and why. I will be going over the mythic version of the bosses i've personally killed.

DISCLAIMER:

This guide will reflect on how ive personally been killing the bosses with OUR raid tactics, this means that this will not always be optimal for the way you and your guild deals with bosses. That said i will try to make it as universal as possible!

I am by no means a top tier warlock and this small guide was mostly made for myself to remember everything and anything i say COULD in theory be wrong and disapproved by top tier warlocks. But this is what i feel is the best to do, atleast for progression for a casual mythic raiding warlock.

Mythic - Hellfire Assault:

Spec: Destruction

Talents: Grimoire of Sacrifice - Archimonde's Darkness - Charred Remains

Trinkets: Desecrated Shadowmoon Insignia - Goren Soul Repository/Iron Reaver Piston. (Goren Soul is better than Piston so use that if you have access to it)

Explanation: You're going destruction to deal with the amount of adds on this fight and affliction sucks dealing with adds. GrimSac + Charred remains are the basic destruction setup and the ember gains is just too good to pass up on.

General Tip's: Shadowburn cleave as much as possible and use Chaosbolts mainly on vehicles, and use havoc on CD preferably on Shadowburn but no reason to delay it more than a few seconds.

Mythic - Iron Reaver:

Spec: Affliction 

Talents: Grimoire of Sacrifice - Archimonde's Darkness - Soulburn: Haunt

Trinkets: Fragment of the Dark Star/Darmac's Unstable Talisman - Desecrated Shadowmoon Insignia

Explanation: This setup is simply the highest possible ST dps output you can go on a non-demon boss. other than that just spank the boss and watch yourself topping meters along with those annoying arcane mages!

General Tip's: You can go destruction with same talents and trinkets as on Assault except you swap out GSR//Sandman's/Piston in that order, with Class trinket if your guild or pug-group is having problems with bombs. the only reason i would take class trinket in this scenario is because as destruction you wont be needing the stacks from trinket on the bombs but it will be the best option for ST dps while boss is not airborn.

Mythic - Kormrok:

Trinkets: Fragment of the Dark Star/Darmac's Unstable Talisman - Desecrated Shadowmoon Insignia

Explanation: Again, your job will be to just DPS the boss and watch it fall so we're using full ST setup again here.

General Tip's: Another boss where Destruction can be used is if your raid is having trouble with AoE'ing Hands down fast enough. Use the the same setup as Destruction for Iron Reaver, and make sure you have enough embers just before the hands. for throwing out double AoE Chaos Bolts. 

Mythic - Hellfire High Council:

Talents: Grimoire of Supremacy - Archimonde's Darkness - Soulburn: Haunt

Explanation: You're using GrimSup because you will not be using Drain Soul a lot apart from later on in the fight when your job will be to keep all 3 dots up on all 3 targets while always having Soulburn: Haunt up as much as possible aswell. You will be using your Imp as your pet for this fight.

General Tip's: You can take off your tier pieces for more powerfull off-set pieces to increase dps since your set bonuses wont matter for the most of this fight atleast not until the end.

If your raid has high burst dps and the 1st boss dies quickly then i suggest going with the normal Affliction setup which is DSI/FotDS/Darmac's Unstable Talisman.

Mythic - Kilrogg Deadeye

Trinkets: GSR/Sandman's/Piston - Desecrated Shadowmoon Insignia

Explanation:  add cleave is the reason you're destro, the people going inside vision will carry the boss dps. 

General Tip's: Havoc+Chaosbolt oozes and Havoc+Soulburn Hulking Terror onto boss or any other adds alive.

Mythic - Gorefiend:

Spec: Destrucion

Trinkets: Desecrated Shadowmoon Insignia - /GSR/Sandman's/Piston

Explanation: Add cleave all the way, pretty much the same as for Kilrogg and Assault. havoc on CD and preferable on Shadowburn if you're able to get x3 off.

General Tip's: Add priority and targeting is key to succes on this fight, make sure you focus the right adds at the right time.

Mythic - Shadow-Lord Iskar:

Trinkets: Desecrated Shadowmoon Insignia - GSR/Sandman's/Piston

Explanation: I personally use this because we cheese the add phase with ring and i wont get enough stacks on Class trinket to make it worth it. If you're doing this boss the "right" way using class trinket might be worth it.

General Tip's: Use portal to help people close to getting pushed off the platform and use personal teleport to the middle for stacking and getting ready to burst in addphase faster. Use Fire and Brimstone during add phase and just AoE everything down.

Mythic - Socrethar the Eternal:

Trinkets: Desecrated Shadowmoon Insignia - GSR/Sandman's/Piston

Explanation: I am Soloing Ghosts in my guild, which means i wont be much on boss apart from Dominators and any ghost downtime. If this is the case for you simply go Affliction with standard single target setup (reaver etc) and just dot up adds as needed.

General Tip's: I use this macro to cleave Soulburn on boss/dominator from the ghosts.

#showtooltip Havoc

/target Socrethar

/use Havoc

/targetlasttarget

#showtooltip Havoc

/target Sargerei Dominator

/use Havoc

/targetlasttarget

Mythic - Fel lord Zakuun:

Trinkets: Orb of Voidsight/Fragment of the Dark Star - Desecrated Shadowmoon Insignia

Explanation: Full on single target fight. 

General Tip's: Use your gate to help out non-mobile classes as yourself getting to marks if they get seeds.

Mythic - Xhul'horac: Current Progression, any tips appriciated ^^

Spec:

Talents:

Trinkets:

Explanation:

General Tip's:

Mythic - Tyrant Velhari:

Talents: Grimoire of Sacrifice - Archimonde's Darkness - Soulburn: Haunt

Trinkets: Orb of Voidsight/Fragment of the Dark Star - Desecrated Shadowmoon Insignia

Explanation: 2 target fight. keep haunt up and keep dots rolling at all times.

General Tip's: Use your portal in the sides to instantly face annihilating strikes away from everyone else. 

Im using 2 usefull macros for this fight first of i have on my mouse a set focus macro to use on the add, just hover the add and click it. 

/focus [@mouseover] 

2nd macro im using is a mod:shift for my 3 dots + drain soul. this will use these 4 spells whenever you hold down shift and use that spell it will be cast on your focus target as example Drain Soul in the macro below. just replace Drain Soul with the Dot name and make x4 of these. this can also be used on Council, i personally put it on Blademaster because Gurtogg is my target and dia is easy to manually target or use a mouseover macro with dots.

#showtooltip

/use [mod:shift,@focus][] Drain Soul

Mythic - Mannoroth:

Spec:

Talents:

Trinkets:

Explanation:

General Tip's:

Mythic - Archimonde:

Spec:

Talents:

Trinkets:

Explanation:

General Tip's:

**Updated 09-05-2016**

Any feedback is appriciated good or bad but please be respectful about the way you approach it this is my first guide for anything ever! biggrin.png

Edited by Dotties

Few gaps in logic, for isn't really a beginners guide since most of the time you assume the warlock can *just* sit and DPS. If you are doing progression raiding, this simply is not the case. 

Aff also deeply relies on the fight being short, again something that won't happen in progression raiding.

Class trinket + Destro is widely considered to be very bad in mythic and average at best in heroic.

Many of these set ups depend on strats, the strat these set ups are good for is not always the most common strat or the best strat for progression.

6.5/10 guide, not bad for your first but these logical gaps and missing information make it hard for a "beginner" to use. If a beginner was reading this and trying to use it as fact they would likely run into several problems.

Don't feel bad, these are common issues with someones first guide. Keep up the work and the guides will get better if you want to continue.

EDIT: I edited your title a little, the apostrophes were bugging me.

• Like 2

First things first, could you point out where i assume the warlock just sits and dps?

second, the part about the trinket is the first ive ever heard of could you clarify what trinkets is used instead of?

Yh my "guide" is my PoV on how our guild handles bosses. 

and yes while i understand that the "beginner" part might be a bit missleading, I did not mean it as new to warlock but more of a catch-up on stuff refference guide for mythic. therefor i expected the people interested in this was mostly looking for differences something like what ive written because i havnt been able to find anything similar that isnt outdated. 

Thx for your feedback means alot, especially that fast biggrin.png

Sorry, busy week with school and I forgot to reply.

Krom and IR you assume they are standing and pew pewing only, ISK you're using one strat that is only good under circumstances that have a fairly limited number of guilds fulfilling.

class trinket for destro is shit because of the stacks mechanic and the fact that by the time you get the M version of it, gear no longer matters. Any fight that you can maximize the stacks on is a fight that you could probably go Aff on and do more damage. Everything else is just to much movement and mechanics. M class trinket is good if you got it though for farm, but I don't see many warlocks using it.

Trinkets in place of it are what you listed, BoA for demons, GSR and Piston for everything else.

• Like 1

Locky addressed a couple of the main issues, but I'd like to look at some of the boss specific aspects of this that probably could be fixed up. I've been progressing through Mythic these past few months with my alt's guild. I'm on a mage with them, so I don't get to see what it is like to progress on these bosses on a warlock with a 795 ring and 10 ilvl upgrades, but I get the secondhand experience by thinking about what I'd do as a warlock, as well talking to the warlock progressing with us.

First off, I'd like to address your use of Piston. It's great if you've got nothing else, but it's just not a great trinket. Even in progression I'd prefer GSR or Sandman's over it. The only fights I could justify it are HFA and Socrethar if you are on ghost duty. I've got one with a socket and WF and I've never bothered upgrading it.

On Kormrok Aff is the way to go on progression, for sure. If your group is having trouble with the hands (and my mage's group did), then taking Cata as Aff isn't a terrible option. I've never done it on my lock, but I have witnessed the results and it is actually very effective and your boss damage is still better than what it would be as a destro warlock.

On Council going GoSupp was definitely viable before the ilvl upgrades. But now since Gurtogg dies so fast, even on progression, Sac is stronger since you will have more Drain Soul uptime. Progression groups now are killing Gurtogg a minute faster or even more than what they were doing back in July/August.

With Gorefiend the adds will always be a problem on progression. And since most progression groups are still getting to the third feast on their first kills, playing Aff isn't really viable, as that's just nine minutes of tunneling. Also, DSI/Voidsight all the way on this fight. Class trinket as destro will never beat voidsight.

Now, looking at Iskar, this is the one and only place I disagree with Locky about Class Trinket destro. When Iskar is on the ground, it is really easy to keep up five stacks. And then in the air you may or may not be able to abuse it on the adds for aoe damage, depending on how your group does the add phases. I've always went with DSI/FoDS here and never regretted it.

As far as Socrethar goes, if you aren't on ghosts, you should be Affliction. The cleave onto Shadowcallers isn't worth going destro over. Other classes can target switch just as easily. Your priority should be boss damage. Single target destro is a joke. Demo beats it out. Aff is really the only way to go for boss damage. Destro obviously for ghosts.

Overall, it was an okay guide. Some kinks can be worked out, but I'm glad you took the time to make it. The warlock community is really lacking in sources to learn about how to play the class properly. So when I see people like you trying to improve the community, it makes me happy! Keep up the good work, and I can't wait to see what you write for the future bosses!

• Like 1

Iskar is the only boss I use class trinket on, but it is strat dependent.

If you are doing the fight "right" then it is a very good trinket to use, if you're doing the ring cheese then it is a worthless trinket since you spend 95% of the fight not DPSing and 5% doing as much burst as you can do in ~15 second window, for that a proc trinket that will proc for the whole time is better.

Then at high level farm you're half cheesing-half doing it right and by then the class trinket is again viable since you can just stand at the far end of the platform and focus iskar even when he is in the air and hopefully by that time you have M class trinket and it can rek even harder, but at the same time if you're doing that then you could just go aff and do a hell of a lot more since it is a 2-3min pure ST burn for you.

Thus, Iskar is all about strat. Since there is a ton of options on him it really comes down to what your guild is doing.

• Like 1

Reply to both: So yh im starting to see why especially GSR/Piston would be outclassing class trinket. i do not currently have GSR available i just know the power it provides. Ill be using piston until i get a hold of it. 

Reply to Locky: about IR and Korm imo that is my job as a warlock on that fight. tunnel the boss as affliction or assist with bombs as destruction and if you're affliction you pretty much are afkdpsing while avoiding shit and same goes for korm with hands, i wouldnt go cata as affliction if hands are a problem because destro will just do so much more on hands even without cata. thats my experience on the fight atleast + even tho you'd prob not reccommend it id be using class trinket there because apart from hands it should have full uptime and provide more ST dps on the boss while still being able to FaB double cb's on hands. again this is only if the group is low on burst aoe. also regarding the "afkdps" aspect i cant see the point of putting a warlock on soaking runes etc considering how many other classes to it better and faster. 

Reply to Curinir: I can definitely see your points on most of what you're saying tho i have a few questions about some of it tongue.png

also remember this was made mostly for myself to remember everything and to pass on to friends/guildies etc because i frequently get asked about their warlock alt etc.

1. First of yh i currently neither own a sandman or GSR, tho i could buy a sandman. but isnt GSR better in general?

2. take a look what i wrote to locky about korm and lets discuss that futher biggrin.png

3. at what time (like how long time the fight should be)  will it be more efficient to run sac on council, because i understand your point but my guild might not be killing it in the time you estimate it to be worth going for sac instead.

4. about gore it kinda seems like both of you skim through at some points because i do state that problems with adds will mean you're going destruction and ofc during the initial kill there will be problems with adds for sure but once the addphases are down and there is enough people for adds going affliction to go down to 2 feasts or even 1 would be more beneficial right?

5. I dont understand why you would choose affliction over destruction for socrethar in anyway at all. Destro can burst faster and harder on dominaters and do alot better cleaving soulbinders ? pls clarify why you would choose affliction <3

I will edit my guide with knowledge that i find usefull but i wont do it until ive tested it out myself, because else it wouldnt be my guide id just be copying what you say blindly tongue.png thx for the good and contructive critisism will both make the guide better and make myself a better warlock smile.png hope to get a few answers from you two for this too biggrin.png

a final question about fel lord, is see some people running class/DSI but i also see DSI/Heirloom - GSR/DSI - GSR/heirloom what are you guys opinion on this 

And btw remember this was made mostly to pass on to guildies/friends who asked for advice for their alt warlocks, but i decided to upload it here and on reddit to get some feedback and because i felt it would help myself improve as others to discuss some of these things. i know im a bit late to the part in WoD but i started playing a few months ago after a break and i plan on trying to work finish this guide for HFC and continue trying to make the warlock forums about more loud in legion hopefully :P

EDIT: the last question and note tongue.png

Edited by Dotties

1. First of yh i currently neither own a sandman or GSR, tho i could buy a sandman. but isnt GSR better in general?

In progression I used Sandman's a lot more than GSR, but now that everything is on farm I just run GSR because I don't want to spend time fussing over Sandman procs.

2. take a look what i wrote to locky about korm and lets discuss that futher biggrin.png

Going cata with aff really depends on how long the hands are up.. Looking at length of time, first: does the initial cataclysm kill the hands or at least damage them enough for the rest of the raid to kill it? If yes, then run aff. If no, then Destro is viable, however Demo shines above Destro here. Most guilds that lack in burst aoe would take Demo warlocks to wreck the hands. As I've stated earlier, Demonology priority target damage is on par with Destro (better if you take Demonbolt). That, in combination with a stronger burst aoe, makes it the choice if a guild is absolutely falling apart on hands. 

3. at what time (like how long time the fight should be)  will it be more efficient to run sac on council, because i understand your point but my guild might not be killing it in the time you estimate it to be worth going for sac instead.

If you're killing Gurtogg at or before the second ring explosion (~2:20) then Sac is your best bet. If you want to be more conservative, then two minutes of Gurtogg being alive.

4. about gore it kinda seems like both of you skim through at some points because i do state that problems with adds will mean you're going destruction and ofc during the initial kill there will be problems with adds for sure but once the addphases are down and there is enough people for adds going affliction to go down to 2 feasts or even 1 would be more beneficial right?

Gorefiend is a scary fight. I would never ever recommend Affliction on progression, but when the fight is on super farm, then sure, have at it. Hell, I've even played Demo on Gorefiend. It's a judgement call on your part when deciding to take aff for this fight. If adds haven't been a problem at all in previous kills, then sure, why not! I suppose it's not necessarily a matter of how many feasts you get, but a matter of how well adds are handled. The longer the fight, the more likely people are to make mistakes.

5. I dont understand why you would choose affliction over destruction for socrethar in anyway at all. Destro can burst faster and harder on dominaters and do alot better cleaving soulbinders ? pls clarify why you would choose affliction <3

Whenever I'm not on ghost duty, I take Affliction. On my progression kill for Soc back in September we actually had a fire mage solo the ghosts. I was asked to go Affliction for the insane boss damage I would put up. Being ilvl 720 we had trouble killing the Dominators in a fast enough window, so we actually had the construct drop Apocalyptic Fel Burst onto the Dominator. Even after that, we still needed the ring explosion to kill it off. I went Destro for a few pulls just to see if it would help out on damage, but it really didn't do too much. The burst on the Dominator was roughly the same on a raidwide scale and my dps was considerably lower due to lack of priority damage. Now, in a world where everyone at Socrethar is 730+ and has a maxed out ring, the Dominator is barely alive long enough to even think about taking Destro for the burst single target. And as far as shadowcallers go, that's what cleave classes are for. Get them in melee and they die. If you play Aff, Socrethar will die much faster- which means less Dominators and less Shadowcallers.

a final question about fel lord, is see some people running class/DSI but i also see DSI/Heirloom - GSR/DSI - GSR/heirloom what are you guys opinion on this 

If you're killing it under two minutes, then sure, run two proccing trinkets. If not, run Voidsight/Class. I assume what you've seen is the rankings on WCLogs where people do 200k+? If so then it's a ridiculously short kill where you get more benefit out of the extra proc than the class trinket.

**Updated 09-05-2016** 

Tested out a bunch on farm runs, and edited accordingly while also taking some of the advice you guys have given me. let me know if i forgot something ^^

I am Soloing Ghosts in my guild, which means i wont be much on boss apart from Dominators and any ghost downtime.

You're aware that the dude in the robit can 1-shot literally all of the adds with the big bomb, right? Like, between that and a double fire line, the only case you have to deal with any whatsoever is if someone decided to go stand in BFE.

Edited by Astynax