Blainie

Blizzard Removing Alpha Access As Punishment

Sign in to follow this  

13 posts in this topic

20034-blizzard-removing-alpha-access-as-

After a feedback thread escalated last night, it seems Blizzard have punished those that acted out on the forums. Both Legion and Overwatch access has been removed for many of those that took part in the "memestorm"!

The thread in question popped up after there were a number of stability issues with the Alpha servers. Players couldn't log in to test the raids that were scheduled, namely the first Mythic bosses to open for testing.

It quickly escalated into personal insults and threats, a barrage of memes and "jokes" spanning topics such as 9/11 and terrorism. It seems Blizzard have since revoked the access of these players to the Legion Alpha and Overwatch Beta for an undisclosed period of time. 

While it's understandable that people take time out to prepare for these events, access to the Alpha is still a privilege. One of the MVPs on the US realms summed it up perfectly:

Alpha access is a privilege not a right. Alphas by nature are NOT stable and will have issues. Sure, it sucks to set apart time to test and have it not work out. However, resorting to the trolling and nonsense that happened there is not ok. It was not harmless and demonstrated that some people really don't understand what the purpose of an Alpha is or how to provide polite and constructive feedback. Sure, you are free to act like that, but others don't have to put up with you. Sometimes people simply need to deal with the consequences of their actions.

(source)

We also saw a blue post from Watcher apologising for the problems over the raid testing night.

Blizzard Icon Watcher on the Raid Tests

Obviously we've been experiencing significant technical issues. We've been trying to diagnose them, but they're beyond the scope of anything that can be addressed in the short-term (infrastructure/back-end issues, as opposed to just a simple code bug that can be fixed). As such, we're canceling today's tests. They'll be rescheduled.

I realize it's frustrating to carve time out of your schedule and then be unable to actually play. If there were anything we could do to prevent this, we would, but an alpha/beta environment is inherently less stable and polished because of how things are changing constantly, both in obvious player-facing ways but also in terms of behind-the-scenes tech. I apologize, but I honestly can't say that it won't happen again - it might. The disclaimers that accompany each raid testing announcement aren't just empty words.

So, what do you think? Was the punishment fair? Should it have been more, or less, severe?

• Like 4

I believe Blizzard did the right thing, but honestly, I had fun reading those meme comments. 

• Like 4

I think they went a little too far here, honestly.  Blizzards own ToC states that trolling is punishable by a forum ban based on severity.

Spamming or Trolling

This category includes:

• Excessively communicating the same phrase, similar phrases, or pure gibberish

• Creating threads for the sole purpose of causing unrest on the forums

• Causing disturbances in forum threads, such as picking fights, making off topic posts that ruin the thread, insulting other posters

• Making non-constructive posts

• Abusing the Reported Post feature by sending false alarms or nonsensical messages

• Numbering a thread, IBTL, TLDR, or any other fad statements

If a player is found to have participated in such actions, he/she will:

• Be given a temporary or permanent ban from the forums, depending upon severity

Removal of access goes way beyond a forum ban.  Not only that, but the way WatcherDev responded on twitter was not very, err, appropriate for his position.  

• Like 1

I think they went a little too far here, honestly.  Blizzards own ToC states that trolling is punishable by a forum ban based on severity.

Spamming or Trolling

This category includes:

•  
  •  
  •  
  • Causing disturbances in forum threads, such as picking fights, making off topic posts that ruin the thread, insulting other posters
  •  
  •  
  • Abusing the Reported Post feature by sending false alarms or nonsensical messages
  •  
  •  

•  
  • Be given a temporary or permanent ban from the forums, depending upon severity
  •  

Removal of access goes way beyond a forum ban.  Not only that, but the way WatcherDev responded on twitter was not very, err, appropriate for his position.  

Do you think a forum ban would work in this situation? The whole point of having Alpha access is to test and give feedback. Without access to the forums to give feedback, what's the point of them testing?

• Like 1

Spamming or Trolling

This category includes:

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

•  
  •  

They're not paying for alpha or beta access. If they'd been banned from WoW altogether I could see your point. But they were granted a privilege, and showed they had no real grasp of what they were supposed to be doing with it. Therefore, they lost it.

They could give me an alpha key. They know I would appreciate it, and enjoy helping them out anyway I can. But oh well ill be good and wait for the beta. Blizzard love...

They could give me an alpha key. They know I would appreciate it, and enjoy helping them out anyway I can. But oh well ill be good and wait for the beta. Blizzard love...

I second this motion.

• Like 1

Bans were justified. You should see it as an honor that a company trusts you to provide feedback on whatever you think that needs to be changed or improved. But then again blizzard stop using the alpha as a promotion tool, get players in that are willing to test the content properly and won't act like adhd kiddies when something bothers them.

I think Blizzard should take a page out of Microsoft testing, and add a questionnaire with the beta testing signup where you can motivate yourself and them, on why you should get early testing access.

I'll gladly test 10 hours per day and provide feedback so the issues do not present on live and improve my own and everyone else's gaming experience.

Edited by Hikashuri

I think the way these players have behaved is disgusting. Talking about 9/11 amongst other topics is despicable. Innocent people lost their lives in that tragedy and to this day the pain is still raw.

I honestly think Blizzard have been too soft with said players, If it was up to me they would have been given a lifetime ban. In my honest opinion even that really isn't enough. They should be prosecuted for what they have written. It wouldn't be the first time someone has been prosecuted for trolling!!!!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Stan

A new round of hotfixes is here with nerfs to the Fallen Avatar and Kil'jaeden in Heroic & Mythic difficulties.
      Tomb of Sargeras nerfs continue and today, Blizzard decreased the damage of Fallen Avatar's Dark Mark by 20% in Mythic difficulty (25% in Heroic). Kil'jaeden got nerfed to the ground, so guilds that have been stuck on him should now have a relatively easy time defeating him.
      Blizzard (Source)
      Achievements
      Power Ascended no longer requires the quest "A Gift from the Six". Dungeons and Raids
      Tomb of Sargeras Mistress Sassz’ine Fixed a bug where Abyss Stalkers could become stuck in the walls. Fallen Avatar Dark Mark damage reduced by 25% in Heroic difficulty and 20% in Mythic difficulty. Kil’jaeden Armageddon Rain damage-over-time and impact damage reduced 15% in Mythic and Heroic difficulties. Erupting Reflection health reduced 20% in Mythic difficulty. Flaming Orb time to minimize size reduced to 6 seconds in Heroic and Mythic difficulties (was 10 seconds). Focused Dreadflame damage reduced to 12 million in Mythic difficulty. Illidan's Sightless Gaze damage reduced 20% in all difficulties. Items
      Corrected an issue causing Feverish Carapace, Recompiled Guardian Module, and Shifting Cosmic Sliver’s effects to trigger far less frequently than intended for Brewmaster Monks. Previous Patch 7.3 Hotfixes
      October 10 October 4 October 3
    • By Stan

Earn extra gold during Hallow's End by farming Coin of Many Faces in Shadowmoon Valley!
      Coin of Many Faces is an item that transforms you into a random Garrison follower for 1 hour. The item is very popular and it can be farmed only during Hallow's End. The farming spot is in Shadowmoon Valley (Draenor). The mobs are located on a small island (40, 83).
      Map

(Source)
      Coin of Many Faces can be looted from the following mobs:
      Boneship Reveler Brackish Cultivator Captain Bonerender Growing Squashling Salty Dreg The mobs will despawn after Hallow's End ends on November 1. Do not sell the coins right away, as there will be an influx in supply. Keep them until Hallow's End is over and people are no longer capable of farming them.
    • By Stan

A source of the latest information related to Patch 7.3 and beyond!
      Our Patch 7.3 hub organizes all 7.3 data and latest news coverage in a single place.
      Welcome to our centralized hub dedicated to the biggest patch ever introduced to World of Warcraft. For easier navigation, we'll keep it updated throughout testing by adding links to our latest coverage, so that you won't miss out on any important information.
      Patch 7.3
      Patch 7.3 titled "Shadows of Argus" is now live. For more information we suggest reading our Shadows of Argus Survival Guide. All our class guides have been updated with Netherlight Crucible trait recommendations.
      Official Patch Notes Invasion Points Guide // Greater Invasion Points Guide Undocumented Changes in Patch 7.3 List of Known Issues Mythic Keystone Runs & Difficulty Changes Returning Player Guide Reputation Guides (Argussian Reach & Army of the Light) Relinquished & Unsullied Token Clarifications Blizzplanet's Gamescom Interview with Ion Hazzikostas Ion Hazzikostas Patch 7.3 Interview  Content Rollout Schedule Dungeons (M+) Changes Patch 7.3 Hotfixes
      The following hotfixes have been applied to live servers so far:
      Patch 7.3 Hotfixes - October 17 *new* Patch 7.3 Hotfixes - October 10 Patch 7.3 Hotfixes - October 4 Patch 7.3 Hotfixes - October 3 Patch 7.3 Hotfixes - September 29  Patch 7.3 Hotfixes - September 26 Patch 7.3 Hotfixes - September 22 Patch 7.3 Hotfixes - September 19 Patch 7.3 Hotfixes - September 16 Patch 7.3 Hotfixes - September 13 Patch 7.3 Hotfixes - September 12 Patch 7.3 Hotfixes - September 8 Patch 7.3 Hotfixes - September 6 Patch 7.3 Hotfixes - September 5 Patch 7.3 Hotfixes - September 1 Patch 7.3 Hotfixes - August 30 Patch 7.3 Hotfixes - August 29 Build Highlights // Class Changes
      In this section, you will find the most recent changes sorted by build.
      Patch 7.3 Build 24853 Patch 7.3 Build 24727  Patch 7.3 Build 24651 Patch 7.3 Build 24608 // Feral Druid // Frost DK & Mage Changes Patch 7.3: Upcoming Frost Death Knight Changes Patch 7.3 Build 24539 // Patch 7.3 Feral Druid Changes Patch 7.3.0 Build 24500 Patch 7.3.0 Build 24473 Dev Notes
      Blizzard usually posts on the official forums once a new PTR build is deployed to test realms, giving an overview of new features that become available for testing.
      Build 24829 Build 24608 Build 24539 Build 24500 Build 24473 Artifact Power & Advancement
      In Patch 7.3, you will be able to unlock the Netherlight Crucible, a new way of Artifact customization via relics.
      Artifact Knowledge Changes The Netherlight Crucible Guide Antorus the Burning Throne
      The new raid is currently tested on PTR and will be available in Patch 7.3.2.
      Antorus, the Burning Throne Raid Preview (Build 24473) Antorus Raid Rewards Antorus Raid Zone Preview Part 1 Antorus Raid Zone Preview Part 2 Antorus Raid Zone Preview Part 3 Antorus & The Pantheon Legion Ending & Next Expansion Leaks New Creature Models (Antorus Bosses, Titans, Lore Characters) (Build 24473) Tier 21 Sets
      In Antorus, you will find Tier 21 Sets dropping from the bosses.
      Tier 21 Sets Preview (Normal Tints) // Mythic Tints Tier 21 Death Knight (Build 24608) Tier 21 Demon Hunter (Build 25021) Tier 21 Druid (Build 24500) Tier 21 Hunter (Build 25021) *new* Tier 21 Mage (Build 24651) Tier 21 Monk (Build 24539) Tier 21 Paladin (Build 24539) Tier 21 Priest (Build 24500) Tier 21 Rogue (Build 24539) Tier 21 Shaman (Build 25021) Tier 21 Warlock (24651) Tier 21 Warrior (Build 25021)  Argus & Gameplay Videos
      Argus is a new planet that has three zones. Krokuun, Mac'Aree and Antoran Wastes. In the following articles, you will find detailed information about all the different zones.
      How to Get to Argus (Intro) Vindicaar Matrix Core Powers & Assessment Argus Gameplay Part 1 (up to Krokuun) (Build 24473) Argus Gameplay Part 2 (End of Chapter 1) (Build 24500) Argus Gameplay Part 3 (Mac'Aree) (Build 24539) New Factions
      Two new factions have been added to the game in Patch 7.3.
      Argussian Reach (Faction) Preview Army of Light Faction Preview Weapons of the Lightforged (Build 24473) Gearing & Alts
      All useful information in terms of gearing and alts.
      Reputation Catch-up & New Heirloom Amulet Unsullied & Confiscated Gear Veiled Argunite & New Gear Tokens Invasion Points
      A new type of repeatable content, aka scenarios with different stages with the goal to defeat a boss at the end.
      Invasion Points // "Lesser & Greater Rifts" Coming to WoW Invasion Point: Blood (Build 24539) Invasion Point: Ice (Build 24539) Seat of the Triumvirate
      A new five-player dungeon located in Mac'Aree (Argus)
      Seat of the Triumvirate (Dungeon) (Build 24608) New Transmog Items (Build 24500) Missions
      New Champion Equipment & Missions Mounts
      New Mounts (Build 24473) Lightforged Golem Mount Shackled Ur'zul (Mythic Argus Mount) Pets
      How to Tame Panthara Pets *new* New Tameable Hunter Pets (Build 24781) New Pets (Build 24473) New Pets (Build 24853) Professions
      New Profession Updates (Build 24473) // The Future of Obliterum World Bosses
      New World Bosses (Build 24473) New Caster Animations
      In Patch 7.3, several caster Classes received updates to their animations.
      Official Preview Druid, Mage, Shaman Animations (Build 24473) Priest Animations (Build 24473) Restoration Shaman Animations (Build 24500)
    • By Stan

Hallow's End is up and a true Goblin can never make enough gold, right?
      Hallow's End
      Coin of Many Faces can only be obtained during Hallow's End from mobs in Shadowmoon Valley. This method includes grinding, because of the item's drop rate.
      Even though Wowhead lists the drop chance as extremely low, players are reporting a potential increase in drop chance this year. Killing for 15 minutes got me 3x Coin of Many Faces. The item is a toy that lets you transform into a random Garrison follower (even of the opposing faction) for 1 hour with a 24-hour cooldown, so there are hundreds of possible combinations. Death doesn't break the illusion. Mobs dropping said item:
      Captain Bonerender Brackish Cultivator Salty Dreg Boneship Reveler The mobs are in packs of three and have an almost instant respawn rate.
      Sell or Wait?
      Plenty of Coins of Many Faces may currently be up on the Auction House, because of the Hallow's End event. This can lead to decreased prices during Hallow's End and you have several options:
      Either keep the coin and resell it in a few weeks when Hallow's End ends at higher prices. If you're in dire need of Gold, you can sell them right away, on my realm they are for 4,000 Gold each. In 15 minutes, I got 3, so that's 48,000 GPH (Gold per hour). Please note that realm prices vary. I can't guarantee you a fixed amount of gold you can make on your realm.
      Screenshots
      The mobs respawn almost instantly.
      On my 12th mob kill I got my first coin.

The second drop happened at around the 8th minute of my farming.

The third coin took the longest to drop, oh and beware of ganking. I was heavily under assault during my third coin farm.

AH Prices - Illidan (US - Horde)
      4,000 Gold per coin for me. The market value has drastically gone down, which is why it isn't a bad idea to save some for a later resell after HE.

Unbroken Claw Price Spikes
      Unbroken Claw prices are currently rising. If you're able to buy them cheap on the Auction House do so right now. Remember my article about new patterns and recipes? It's because claws are used to craft Drums of the Mountain in Patch 7.1 when's the ideal time to flip them.
      (Illidan (US - Horde Prices)
    • By Stan

It's time for Burning Crusade & Black Temple Timewalking! Players now have access to Artifact Knowledge level 48, a new Argus world boss is up and Hallow's End is here until November 1.
      Artifact Knowledge Level 48
      All players now have access to Artifact Knowledge level 48. By the time Antorus opens, it will be easy to catch up on your Artifact level to unlock all Netherlight Crucible slots.
      Mythic Keystone Affixes
      Teeming Quaking Fortified Argus World Boss
      Mistress Alluradel is up this week. Don't forget to bring a Seal of Broken Fate for a bonus roll. All Argus world bosses in Greater Invasion Points drop ilvl 930 loot. More details can be found in our Greater Rift guide here. Argus Weekly Quests
      Fuel of a Doomed World: Collect 50 Pristine Argunite from Invasion Points, Rare encounters, or treasure chests on Argus to receive 300 Veiled Argunite. Invasion Onslaught: Complete 3 Invasion Points to get 200 Veiled Argunite. Burning Crusade Timewalking (Oct 17 - 24)
      While this event is active, players level 71 or higher may access a special Timewalking Dungeon Finder queue, which scales playrs and their items down to revisit past dungeons from the Burning Crusade Expansion. While Timewalking, bosses will yield loot appropriate for a player's natural level. During Burning Crusade Timewalking, you may assemble a raid group of between 10 and 30 players, travel to Shattrath City in Outland, and speak with Vormu to access a Timewalking version of the Black Temple raid. Complete 5 Timewalking dungeons for the weekly quest "A Shrouded Path Through Time". Rewards: Accolade of Victory (Artifact Power token) Cache of Fel Treasures (1 piece of item level 900 loot from Tomb) 1 Seal of Broken Fate Timewalking items now have a base item level of 880, so they're good for gearing up alts. All Timewalking dungeons have a small chance to drop Reins of the Infinite Timereaver (personal loot). Let's not forget about Black Temple Timewalking! Demon Hunters can once again obtain Arsenal: The Warglaives of Azzinoth from I'll Hold These For You Until You Get Out. Hallow's End (Oct 17 - Nov 1)
      Hallow's End celebrates the break of the Forsaken from the Scourge. Fun and mischief reign as the Innkeepers of Azeroth give treats, and tricks, to whomever asks. You can get a new pet this year - Naxxy. Learn what's new in Hallow's End 2017. PvP Brawl: Packed House (Oct 17 - 24)
      In Packed House, there’s nowhere to hide as you face not 2, not 3, not 5, but 15 adversaries in this 15 vs. 15 Arena battle. Win a PvP Brawl for "Something Different" to get Brawler's Footlocker, 3 Marks of Honor and Soldier's Legacy. World Boss Withered J'm
      Search for the  DEADLY: Withered J'im quest in Azsuna.
      World Boss Loot Tables
      Cave Skulker's Helm Dingy Suramar Mercantile Signet Drape of the Mana-Starved Magic-Warped Hood Mana Scavenger's Mask Manacrystal-Adorned Helmet Unstable Arcanocrystal