FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Swaggly

Frost Mage Dps

A couple of things I would suggest:

1) You're over the hit cap, effectively wasting stat points (about 126 by the looks of it)

2) You're fairly low on haste. I would presume this is due to the use of the PVP gear. The issue with PVP gear is that it has a certain number of stat points that it allocates, and PVP unfortunately allocates those points towards PVP Power and PVP Resilience. A PVE piece of the same ilvl will always net you a DPS increase because the stat points can go to useful stats rather than PVP ones. I would seek to upgrade those pieces.

Edited by solacespecs

The major issue I noticed from your log is that your uptime of invoker's energy was somewhat low at only 70.5% - you should really aim to have this buff up at all times. You can use an addon such as TellMeWhen to warn you when the buff has expired/nearly expired to plan your next evocation. In a fight that lasts 2:49, as long as you begin the fight with a fresh buff you should only have to evocate twice (as you did) to have nearly 100% uptime.

Consider using Mr. Robot (or a similar resource) to optimize your enchanting, gemming and reforging based on your character's individual stat weights, which can be generated with simulationcraft.

I noticed you obtained the Light of the Cosmos trinket, presumably after your Stone Guards parse. I am not sure, but it may be that that trinket will not proc for you while using frost bomb, as I do not think that is considered "periodic" damage. Either do some research, check your own future logs for the Inner Brilliance buff, or switch to using Nether Tempest/Living Bomb.

Hi Swaggly,

Looking back at your original post, I decided to run a LFR raid today. I'm missing my meta and I have no belt buckle, but my dps was 127k. I believe your log posted 120k.

This would suggest that you are doing around the appropriate damage for your gear (though I will still advise gathering more haste).

http://us.battle.net...Bellyrub/simple

My armory post above.

In the context of using SimCraft, I would advise against using Patchwerk. Instead, change it to "light movement". Patchwerk is used to see what your dps should be if you are able to straight dps without any additional raid mechanics that cause you to move. In the context of the Vizier, for example, there are multiple instances where you have to move, which would decrease your dps.

You also need to understand that SimCraft avoids human error. Maybe you accidentally click Alter Time twice and blow the ability. Maybe you wait to use it until your trinkets proc, and you waste BF procs. There's a lot to account for here. I always assume that I'm human, so I always take anywhere from 5-10k off what it tells me.

Lastly, I would highly advise utilizing an AddOn like Tell Me When. This allows you to keep track of your procs, but more importantly your trinkets as well. For example, at the beginning of the fight, I usually delay two or three seconds, even with BF and FoF, for both my trinkets to proc. That's when I use my AT + IV, because it effectively doubles the time of the trinkets.

Hope this helps... Most importantly, I will say this. I really think you are doing about what you should be at 495 ilvl. Keep building that haste, but don't get frustrated. If you are seeing other mages just destroy meters, they are probably beyond your gear level.

Edit: Typos

Edited by solacespecs

read here that gemming haste > gemming intellect becasue haste gems 2x stats. http://us.battle.net...nblaze/advanced

I went for that but my dps seems lower than what i should do. Do i have the correct gemming/stat values?

Read from here

https://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topic/541-frost-mage-52/page__st__80#entry20527

read here that gemming haste > gemming intellect becasue haste gems 2x stats. http://us.battle.net...nblaze/advanced

I went for that but my dps seems lower than what i should do. Do i have the correct gemming/stat values?

What I found from running my personal SimCrafts is that geming int>2xhaste got me the best values up until I hit about 28/29k spellpower (including the int gems I had at that time) after which re-gemming into 2xhaste started eclipsing int.

This would vary slightly depending on your other stats and trinkets, I am sure. Both of my trinkets proc intellect, which devalues stacking int to some extent.

Edited by Urklegru