FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
smakin

I am totally frustrated and need help!

I have a L90 mage that was arcane until 5.2 when , on advice, I switched to Frost. My raid goal is to be 80-100 DPS per our RL. Under Arcane or Frost, in ToT lfr I am always dealing 65+ dps no matter what I do. I was perfectly reforged/gemmed per askmrrobot and worked hard to follow the ROT here in Icy. I have spent a lot of gold doing this and got no where! I have 509ilevel 27,500 spell power and I am stuck in this crappy dps. My target is not hard so I don't know what to do. I use the Flash add-on to help me hit the right buttons. I got to solve this or I cant raid and that's about the only fun left. Smakin L90 Mage Moon Guard

Smakin,

I can't provide much context for Arcane, but in response to you switching to frost, I can give you some gearing/gemming advice that I've noticed from your armory:

1) Gem for haste instead of Mastery. Mastery is the least prioritized stat. I'm assuming Mastery is good for Arcane?

2) Use Nether Tempest as a dot.

At 60k DPS with your ilvl, it's undoubtedly human error. I would review the rotation here on Icy Veins because you are undoubtedly doing something wrong.

As Gaz suggested, provided a WoL link. There's not enough information from what you've said. It could be that you have no real uptime on Invoker's Energy, or that you are not prioritizing your Brain Freeze procs as you should. Or, it could be that you just aren't spending a lot of time DPSing the boss. Being a good player involves anticipating what's going to happen next so that you can minimize movement and maximize time spent on the boss.

By the way, if you try to switch to Frost, your haste value is extremely low at 9%. With Frost Armor I have 28% haste.

I'm also willing to group up with you and give you some pointers as well. I'm no expert but I play the game well and I'm more than willing to help. In game name is Bellyrub.

• Like 1

Currently I'm speced for arcane. When I was Frost the spec was haste loaded, with in the high 20's. When my trinket pops its like 47% and it happens quite often. Mastery was then very small. I agree I must be doing something vital wrong but can't find it in either spec. I have no WOL, perhaps I can make one from a LFR but need to know how.

Edited by smakin

High 20s in haste sounds about right.

Setting up a WoL log is actually very simple. Whenever you are beginning a raid, or an encounter, you simply type /combatlog. This will create a text file in your wow folder. When the instance/encounter is over, click /combatlog to disable combat logging.

Then through WoL you will upload the .txt file.

There may have been a program associated with it (just check www.worldoflogs.com), it's just that it's been a couple of years since I've used it. Overall, it's pretty simple though.

Also, make sure you disable combat logging when it's done, otherwise the file will be huuuuuuuge. :)

Arcane is actually a very difficult spec to play properly now. You hear a lot of oh, it's that 3-button spec, but you have to find the right balance between building stacks to do bigger attacks and dropping them in order to keep your mana as close to full as you can, especially since you stack Mastery like crazy. There are few other specs where pushing a button at the wrong time can be so damaging to your DPS output.

From looking at your armory, you've done everything else properly. So let's take a look at your playstyle.

Definately something wrong. My mage is Centrian on us Lothar. 496 ilvl arcane and doing 80 consistently. At 509 you should easily top 100-150, as our mage did on horrdon last night. Basic rotation is: find a couple spots for rune of power where to start and where i may have to move, using living bomb for dots. Stack 4 charges arcane blast, cast arcane power and mirror image, hope for 2 arcane missel stack, hit timer which resets my 2 missle stacks and basically repeat, using mana gems to keep mana 90%. Try to dot 3 targets with living bomb to max dps also. I'm not an expert at mages (warrior main) but found Arcane the most forgiving, fire rng but best if your good, frost o.k. but I am happy with Arcane.

First let me thank all who shared. It was helpful. I have decided to go with Frost and stick with it until i522 or so. I am properly reforged/enchanted/gemmed per Mrrobot except for chest/boot enhancements which will be done today. I am using NT and Ev. I have set up my keys accordingly now and am smoother than b4. However, my DPS is "spiky" (being kind) at best. I have done upwards of 175 on crowds of trash, but during a boss fight its like high 50's to 80's and I know its my fault but cannot solve this yet. I will make some logs for later post. In a simple boss fight like boss 1 in tot I still suck. I may get over 100 during initial volley as I use all CD but after that it (dps) goes in a slide, even tho I seem to be on the boss all along.

http://www.wow-heroes.com/character/us/Moon%20Guard/smakin/

During a raid (not lfr) I am like 31K spell power, near 30% haste, 25% or so crit.

How do I look at any of my logs and make sense of what I see?

I getting a spot on our last 10 man team and I so want to do well. Any help would be so hopefull.

TY

Smakin Moon Guard L90 frost Mage

First let me thank all who shared. It was helpful. I have decided to go with Frost and stick with it until i522 or so. I am properly reforged/enchanted/gemmed per Mrrobot except for chest/boot enhancements which will be done today. I am using NT and Ev. I have set up my keys accordingly now and am smoother than b4. However, my DPS is "spiky" (being kind) at best. I have done upwards of 175 on crowds of trash, but during a boss fight its like high 50's to 80's and I know its my fault but cannot solve this yet. I will make some logs for later post. In a simple boss fight like boss 1 in tot I still suck. I may get over 100 during initial volley as I use all CD but after that it (dps) goes in a slide, even tho I seem to be on the boss all along.

http://www.wow-heroe...n Guard/smakin/

During a raid (not lfr) I am like 31K spell power, near 30% haste, 25% or so crit.

How do I look at any of my logs and make sense of what I see?

I getting a spot on our last 10 man team and I so want to do well. Any help would be so hopefull.

TY

Smakin Moon Guard L90 frost Mage

For your logs, it's pretty simple. First of all, before your raid (LFR or your guild raid, doesn't matter), type /combatlog in game. This is going to start logging the combat, and you should get a message saying so. At the end of the raid, type /combatlog again to stop recording. Everything goes into the WoWCombatLog.txt file in the Logs folder of your WoW installation. Anyway, if you make an account on www.worldoflogs.com, you can upload that log file there, and then post the link here.

I can guarantee that you'll get a lot of useful feedback from that, since it's a lot easier to diagnose problems that way. If you need some more help, ask here, or read Zagam's World of Logs guide: https://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topic/1007-world-of-logs-a-comprehensive-guide/

• Like 1