FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Reus

Unreliable DPS

So, I've been playing Frost Death Knight throughout most of Pandaria and Warlords, but only recently I've started looking into my DPS. It seems like it's quite unreliable and I often stumble upon those arrogant healers who simply stand in the background and talk down to you due to some unfortunate DPS'ing. So, as I said. I play a Frost Death Knight. My current item level is 706, but I need some help with my damage output.

I am quite sure that I'm doing my rotation right. I've checked multiple guides (Noxxic, Icy Veins, YouTube etc.) and I'm doing what the rotation guides are telling me.

Normally I'm pulling off the 40-50K dps on single target damage, but sometimes it just seems to drop all the way down to 27-30K for no reason. I just did the weekly Mythic Auchindoun and I pulled off 70K single target damage on first boss, and solid 50-60K on the trash throughout the dungeon. Then I started a group for Mythic Skyreach afterwards, and I only did around 27-30K dps on the first two bosses. When I got to the third boss, I did 42K and when we get to the last boss I did around 40K. I find my DPS to be very unreliable and I have no idea why.

Here's my rotation sketched out roughly:

- Howling Blast spam to get rid of Frost Runes and build up Runic Power
- Frost Strike on Killing Machine procs and when Runic Power is maxed
- Obliterate when 2 Unholy Runes are available
- Soul Reaper when the target is close enough to have it tick on 35% health
- Death Strike when it procs for the free heal
- Plague Leach before 2 stacks, or when the 15 stacks are about to run out
- Blood Tap whenever a Frost or Unholy rune is depleted

And of course I use Pillar of Frost and Death and Decay when available. Also throw in Army of the Dead on boss burst when possible.

I have no idea what's up with my DPS - it seems very unreliable. Is it because Frost Death Knight is just generally unreliable due to the Killing Machine procs? I mean, sometimes they proc a lot, but other times they barely proc. Surely that makes a big difference.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Here's my character:
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/kilrogg/Daelroth/simple

EDIT:
I know my start priority isn't quite spot on - I've just been getting some drops with better primary stats, but worse secondary. Also my cloak is from when I used to tank, but I haven't been lucky enough to have a new one drop.

Mark of Supreme Doom is a pretty terrible trinket, I'd replace it ASAP.

As far as your dps swings go, the best way for us to help is if you log some of your encounters with WarcraftLogs and post them back here for us to have a look at.

I've looked into some things. I realized I hadn't enchanted all my things yet, since the majority of my items were recently acquired. So I had my things enchanted and some things gemmed. My stat priority isn't quite on point right now either.

I know about my trinkets. I've been doing every mythic dungeon and going through HFC normal to try and get replacements for my two awful trinkets, but I can't seem to get anything. I suspect two trinkets with effects with greatly increase my DPS.

I'll try and log my encounters today and post them here afterwards.

Edited by Reus

From what I could see from your Xhul log, your main issue is just lacking trinkets/legendary ring/tier bonuses. Another issue on that fight was just that you had 3 warriors and 2 hunters stealing all of your imp damage lol.

Otherwise you seem to be doing great. If you happen to log a fight where you aren't happy with your performance, bring it by and we'll take a look.

Edited by HeadBeeGuy

Alright. We got Mannoroth, but forgot to log the fight. Think I did 51k but I don't know about all the details. Was hoping for the BIS trinket to drop, but didn't happen.

I'll make sure to log most fights next time and post the bad ones here. I really want to know what makes the difference between my 50-60k fights and 30-40k fights.

A couple of quick things I forgot to mention. Try to pre-pot and pop Death's Advance about 1 second before the pull, and don't forget about Anti-Magic Shell. Whenever you receive a DoT, there's some kind of raidwide damage going out, etc. you should pop AMS to not only soak the damage and help out your healers, but also because any damage absorbed nets you more runic power. Lastly, Remorseless Winter can work well as an AoE stun but other classes like warlock, warrior, and shaman can do it just as well (if not better), and they don't have to give up Gorefiend's Grasp for it. Basically, Gorefiend's Grasp is amazing.

Also concerning logs, try to turn on advanced combat logging if you can. You don't have to log each fight individually, either. Just type /combatlog when you enter the raid and then again when you leave. I have the Exorsus Raid Tools addon, and I have it set up to automatically start logging for me as soon as I enter a raid instance. It's very handy because I would frequently forget before that. XD

Edited by HeadBeeGuy
  • Like 1

I might also suggest that you stop using NP and use Defile instead. 

Its alot more damage , even on single target.

Use plague leech on CD and glyph outbreak to use 30 runic to put diseases back up. 

Its just gear from then on in. 

Your doing well at 706 ilvl and your dps drops are probably due to runic starvation or movement.

Good luck with it.

Yes, Defile is ~2-3% higher dps over Necrotic Plague (at least for my toon's single-target sims). I would not, however, recommend glyphing Outbreak. It's not worth it to reapply your diseases at the loss of a Frost Strike, especially when you already spam Howling Blast. You just need to work a Plague Strike into your rotation to apply/reapply Blood Plague whenever it's not up and Outbreak is on cooldown.

Edited by HeadBeeGuy
  • Like 1

I've looked into the level 100 talent before and I was told Defile was better for single-target damage, while Necrotic Plague was more effective in AoE. I've never bothered switching between encounters, but I might switch to Defile now that you say it's better.

I already use Plague Leech on CD, but I'm not sure about glyphing Outbreak. I don't quite remember which glyphs I'm currently using, but I think I'm quite happy with those, and they're the ones I've been recommended to use before. Nonetheless, I don't think it's too hard to fit Plague Strike into my rotation once every minute, since I sometimes find myself with nothing else to do than Plague Strike, since I'm missing runes for the rest. Not that I do use Plague Strike then, don't get me wrong, but I'm sometimes in such a situation, so I don't think it'd be much of a challenge to fit Plague Strike in my rotation. Since I can Outbreak every minute and I can Plague Leech every 30 seconds, I just need to Plague Streak every second 30 seconds when I can't Outbreak.

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'm glad to hear I'm not doing terribly, and I can blame it a bit more on the trinkets, and just gear in general. I'll see about logging my encounters this weekend when doing HFC: