FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
MatyKadlas

Prot paladin gearing strategy

Hey guys, it is a long time since I played prot paladin, I would be glad if you could point me the right way. I was following askmrrobot's control/mastery gearing strategy, but did not feel like it was it, suggesting a lot dps gear(yes i know you can consider them "tanking" to some point). And few days ago I switch to avoidance build, which I was following back in cata.

Here is my armory link:

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/wildhammer/Matzascz/simple

Do not worry about my talents, took holy prism for horridon try.

Posting here mainly, because one of our raid members is bitching about everything I do as my pally, so I want an opinion of ppl who does not hate me :-P

http://icy-veins.com/protection-paladin-wow-pve-tank-statistics-priority-reforging

Honestly no gearing strategy is bad for a Paly tank (as long as you don't take crit) it just depends on what you want it to accomplish. Personally I would go with Control/Haste. Gives you great on-demand mitigation. Sacred Shield is crazy good for nullifying spike damage. Use the AskMrRobot.com Control/Haste gearing strategy and you'll do well.

It doesn't look like you're doing strict avoidance, which would put every free stat point into Dodge or Parry, but more of a kind of Mastery/Avoidance.

It's always a kind of tradeoff. You can reduce the amount of melee damage you take in all situations, and counter the deficiency in magic reduction with effective use of cooldowns, Word of Glory stacks, etc. Or you can go more towards the control priority and take more damage passively, but improve your active mitigation and potentially boost your performance overall while also doing higher DPS. Both of them can work.

Cheerz :-)

I just hope you could explain it that guy who is saying always like i do everything wrong, I played pala in TBC,wotlk and cata, now it is as my alt, but i think i have a general idea how to play pally. Well thank you for your advices.

Was reading a bit about control/haste, but not sure if I will be doing great. One question about it, should i prioritize dps gear with haste/mastery or go tanking gear and reforge to haste? Not sure if tanking gear has haste on it

I fully tanked tot and h jin-rokh with my ret set only switching weapon and shield. Fully haste with exp and hit capped. The only trick was knowing when the big damage came and cycle defense cooldowns. Healers dont have any issue healing me and having the ability to do big damage and heals at the same. Control/Haste build is really fun and active. I would suggest trying it

ok cool guys, our guy is just old fashioned, if he keeps bothering me that i HAVE to go full parry/dodge, I will point him out here or try to talk to him and after it make some actions agains him :-)

Might even quit guild and try control/haste somehwere who will do not mind :-P

If he's on you about going dodge/parry as a prot pala, tell him there's a new expansion out for WoW called Mists of Pandaria and that things have changed.

I personally go full haste, with mastery as my 2nd best stat. I hate dodge/parry gear more than anything else and take teh dps gear as soon as our dps DK got his gear. With full haste I can keep my SotR buff up for about 60% (depending on fights ofc). That's 50% dmg reduction for more than half of the fight. Oh and as a bonus you do A LOT more dps than a dodge/parry or mastery protadin.

• Like 1

I fully tanked tot and h jin-rokh with my ret set only switching weapon and shield. Fully haste with exp and hit capped. The only trick was knowing when the big damage came and cycle defense cooldowns. Healers dont have any issue healing me and having the ability to do big damage and heals at the same. Control/Haste build is really fun and active. I would suggest trying it

Where do set bonuses fit in with this strategy? I've been running my LFR's in Ret and using the drops for my Prot spec, however, when I get a token Ive been getting the Prot pieces for the set bonuses. Would Haste plate be better than tanking set peices?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/borean-tundra/Darkkonan/advanced

Just trying to gear my Pally to take the place of my Blood DK on our team.

Take the Ret Tier chest and Prot Tier pieces for the others (Head, Shoulders, Legs, & Hands) if you are able to. For all your other gear just stick with the priority of Hit>Expertise>Haste>Mastery>Dodge & Parry. Pretty much your gonna grab the dps plate. Grab a few varying trinkets if you can (Stamina vs DPS) to allow you to switch up dependent on what you need for a boss. Looking at your armory you look like you know exactly what to do! Posted Image

In the interest of fine tuning the gear then, I've been using the Dancing Steel weapon enchant. MR recommends the Colossus enchant, however, I thought I remembered reading somewhere that the Perry increased from the Strength bonus from Dancing Steel was of better benefit. Am I right in still sticking to the Strength enchant? Or should I be going back to the Colossus? Any thoughts on how the procs come out either, and to what advantage?

I thought I remembered reading somewhere that the Perry increased from the Strength bonus from Dancing Steel was of better benefit.

You're right that strength increases parry. I'm not sure if Dancing Steel is a the best choice for defense, however it does increase your dps. I personally go for Dancing Steel.

You're right that strength increases parry. I'm not sure if Dancing Steel is a the best choice for defense, however it does increase your dps. I personally go for Dancing Steel.

Your main choices are Dancing Steel and River Song. Colossus smoothes out your damage somewhat by providing an absorb effect, but the total damage reduction from DS/RS is higher against raid bosses.

Edited by Tarazet

Your main choices are Dancing Steel and River Song. Colossus smoothes out your damage somewhat by providing an absorb effect, but the total damage reduction from DS/RS is higher against raid bosses.

Where did you get that info? I'm still seeing: Dancing Steel = Colossus > River Song > Windsong > Weapon Chain