FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Sidall

Hunter Expertise Cap

I noticed that my expertise cap is a little over 7.5. I also notice with the ToT patch the expertise cap (meaning the chance a boss has to your dodge/parry attacks) is different. I'm showing no chance for a boss up to lvl 93 to dodge my attacks but at level 92 he has a 4.03% chance to parry an attack and a 7.03% at level 93. I know there are bosses at these levels. Should the expertise cap not rise to meet these requirements and drop the parry chance down to 0%?

Are you sure you're not looking at melee stats? A link to your armory would be most helpful.

Someone may need to refresh mechanics of Hit and Expertise (I'm a caster), but I BELIEVE that reaching Parry cap requires 15% of a particular stat. My Prot Paladin runs with 15% Expertise and 7.5% Hit. The Hit covers dodge chance while the Expertise covers Dodge and Parry chance, I think. Bosses, however, can only Parry from the front while they can Dodge from any direction. The reason most melee get to 7.5% Expertise and are fine with that is because they don't attack bosses head on, thus must not worry about the Parry cap. Tanks who need to hit every time, like Prot Paladins, take 15% Expertise to remove the chance of a boss parrying from the front.

That said, I think Hunters require 7.5% because their attacks are considered "Ranged melee" meaning they need 7.5% Hit to have a 0.0% chance of being dodged while getting a special exception of being able to attack anywhere and not be parried with 7.5% Expertise. This was added to make Hunters require the same amount of "Hit Capping" stats as all other classes. Melee require 7.5% Hit and 7.5% Expertise while casters require 15% Hit. Expertise was chosen to be added to Hunters because they share gear with Enhancement Shamans who use Expertise. This created equal use of gear instead of Hunters wanting only Hit gear. This also balanced Hunters because they only required 8% of "Hit Capping" stats versus the 17% on other classes previously.

Expertise is a separate stat from Hit for melee to induce melee to stand behind a boss while attacking. This is a game design so that the front of the boss is isolated to tanks only.

I am looking at the ranged cap for my hunter. If you look it almost maximizes just like a Prot Pally. I'm not sure if I'm missing something but it seems to be fine.

Hunter shots can't be parried, so all we're concerned about is Dodge. Once we reach 7.5% Expertise, this negates the Dodge chance of the boss. Anything over 7.5 will decrease Parry chance, but since our ranged physical damage can't be parried, we don't need to be concerned about anything over 7.5% Expertise.