FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Vandrad

Arms Warrior Low DPS/High Damage

My Arms Warrior has an item level of 507. I don't pull high DPS, but I usually top the charts in damage done. Is this right? Or should I have a higher DPS to match the damage done? It just doesn't seem right.

Active time/activity done can make a big difference. I'm the tank, but I can often outdamage DPS if they are forced by encounter mechanics to abandon doing damage, if they're slow on the take, afk to check the laundry, etc. I would value you much more than a raid member who pulls higher DPS but isn't pushing his buttons all the time.

Usually, bar exceptions, high damage done goes with high dps. I can't really pronounce myself without seeing any logs though.

If you can record a few logs (either your raids or lfrs) and put a link here I can do a more in-depth analysis.

-Rage

I switched to Fury and it seems to have much more DPS and higher damage output. I looked at the DPS rankings and it seemed the higher the item level you were the better Fury was over Arms. So I shall try this for a while and see who it works out.

Edited by Vandrad

You are at the item level where both of those specs are about equivalent, at equal skill level. However you are right, the higher the gear goes the more fury pulls ahead (and I do find fury way more fun than arms anyway :P ).

If you have any questions concerning Fury warriors i'll be glad to help you :)

-Rage

While I love my Arms spec I have to agree with Rage; in the higher ilevel ranges Fury will pull ahead of Arms - especially SMF. I'm at the point to where I'm conflicting myself - do I get the gear to do more damage / DPS (which I am at that level now) or do I stick with my beloved spec and push maximum to keep up with similar-geared / better-geared Fury Warriors.

Damage done, as noted, has a lot to do with activity, though, to where as DPS is just based on, well, how much damage you're putting out over time. It's really simple to calculate: You do "x" amount of damage over "y" amount of time. Put x into y and you have your DPS. Naturally, things can affect your damage; movement, death, rotation screw ups, etc. The higher your damage output the higher your DPS.

Something else to consider is this also works with shorter encounters. Take for instance a fight you're learning. It may take you 7 minutes on a learning kill to where as on a farm kill that same fight only takes 5 minutes. You've taken out 120 seconds but done the same, if not more damage (the health pools do not change on a boss). Even if you do the same amount of damage on both pulls your DPS will be higher on the 5 minute fight over the 7 minute fight; make sense?

Anyway; I'm rambling on calculations. I hope this helps a little in some aspect. If not; just ask. I'll be glad to clarify. :D

It depends. Your overall damage done won't matter much on a fight where the only real thing that matters is a small burst window (think about the sparks on Elegon for example). In those events, burst DPS is much much important than damage done.

Anyway, damage done and DPS should be paired with each other. If you're top DPS but lowest in overall damage done, there's something wrong. If you're top in damage done and last in DPS, there's something wrong too.

I have played a warrior for 4 plus years and have gone back and forth between Fury and Arms. ATM I am ARMS and am having a huge output in damage, but DPS numbers are lower than others. The reason for this is the movement requirements in ToT. I charge I Heroic Leap. So this is affecting all Melee classes as a new raid mechanic is so unlike ICC (just stand there and waste boss) compared to ToT. At least that's what I've noticed. Arms of Single Minded Fury is about the same DPS vs Damage it really depends on my weapons. I've noticed a huge change from Fury with 2 upgraded 491 itm single handed weapons (1 sha touched) vs a 502 2 hander in Arms spec none sha touched, I do more arms wise than Fury. So those changed effect your DPS as well

Edited by MadMonk

Let me make one point clear; in the higher 500 ilevel range Single Minded Fury will always out perform Arms (when palyed correctly). Granted, my warrior (at 513 ilevel) is still Arms; I love the spec. Though I am looking out for SMF weapons....

Obviously weapons will make a difference, though. A single 502 weapon in Arms will probably outdo two 491s in SMF. However it depends on the rest of a player's gear as well and the capabilities of the player, rotation mastery, etc..... a lot of variables. "On paper", though, SMF will out perform Arms in the higher 500s with similar gear.

====================

I will add that I have noticed on some fights that my position in damage done and DPS are not always the same. However, with this, they are not far off, either. I may be #2 in damage done, for example, yet #3 in DPS. I do not recall a time where the gap is 2 spots or more.

I hope this clears things up. Feel free to post with any other questions or concerns.

Edited by Sajakain

Along with my Fury spec, I am having trouble deciding which off-hand weapon to go with. I have a 491 Shin'ka equppied along with a 476 off-hand. Now my question is, should I go for another Shin'ka, or should I go for a ToT 2H weapon? Thanks in advance.

The higher ilvl, the better.

For fury warriors, weapon damage is by far the biggest part of your dps, so the higher the ilvl of your weapons (especially your main hand one) will be, the better your damage will be.