FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
dotscom

Need a little destro clarification

So I've been doing my research these past few days and I really haven't found a definitive answer. From what I'm hearing, if you get the meta gem and two PPM trinkets, you're supposed to stack haste. When I run a sim on my character, it also tells me that haste is signifigantly higher than the other stats and that it would be best to stack solid yellow haste in yellow slots. Just to be sure, I also made a chardev character with those gems and while my new stat weights made haste=mastery=crit, it did provide me with higher DPS than my current stats.

Now I personally have no problems with haste but, if I'm not mistaken, isn't haste supposed to be bad for destruction when your incinerates are below 1 second during backdraft? And honestly, things don't feel right ever since I got my meta and reforged into more haste. I feel like I've actually lost DPS even though simcraft says elsewise.

I've spent a while looking around and I'd like to finally get to the bottom of this. Your help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I personally prefer keeping enough haste to get my backdraft incins around 1 second, and pump the rest into mastery. Having incins below 1 second just feels clunky to me. And while haste may lead to more rppm procs, the actual effect on a given fight is minimal in my opinion. For example thunderforged wushoolay's has a coefficient of 1. So the proc chance per minute is essentially your haste %. Assuming you can reforge into an extra 5-10% haste that would mean an extra 5-10% chance per minute for a proc. Over the course of a fight this might give you one extra proc? Maybe 2 if you're lucky (no hard math here, just a gut guess). Now this is offset by the fact that you are losing dps on your incinerates during backdraft.

Another thing you have to account for, and far more important in my opinion, is sims don't play to maximize the potential of chaos bolt or shadow burn. If you are stacking embers to throw a bunch of chaos bolts during procs and dark soul, and if there are adds you can pick off with shadow burn, mastery becomes much more important. Most fights in ToT have some mechanic that lets you improve your dps from cb and sb significantly. Multiple targets, damage buffs, etc.

In the end it is personal preference and your play style will dictate your dps much more than your reforge. If you play to maximize the dps of your cb's and sb's you might notice a dps loss by going haste. If you play like a sim and disregard procs and such you might notice a dps gain. But if you play well in either case, your dps will be sufficient to be near or at the top of the meters most of the time and bosses will die, assuming you can stay out of fire ;).

Mastery is artificially downplayed in sims due to the fact that they're purely single target. While yes, on a fight like ra-den or normal durumu, haste will pull ahead slightly, on almost every other fight mastery completely dominates it. The amount of excess embers from RoF this tier, combined with the amount of cleaving and shadowburn spam, means the value of mastery is MUCH higher than any single target sim could predict.

• Like 1

Awesome thanks for the adivce! WIth that being said, should I work with solid int and int/mastery gems with a mastery reforge?

Awesome thanks for the adivce! WIth that being said, should I work with solid int and int/mastery gems with a mastery reforge?

Yup. If you end up in a decent bit of heroic gear, its pretty safe to switch to pure mastery gems.

I personally prefer keeping enough haste to get my backdraft incins around 1 second, and pump the rest into mastery.

Porbably the best way to go most of the time. If your incinerate is below 1 sec during backdraft you will find yourself waiting for GCDs during hero. Like gahhda has said, because of all the multi-target and damage buffs this teir, mastery is much more valuble a lot of the time than haste.

Don't disregard the benefit of increased RPPM trinket procs with haste and the ability to squeek in Chaos Bolts before a key buff ends.