FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
zeffrell

Haunt and dots question

ok so haunt is listed as

You send a ghostly soul into the target, dealing 1869 (+ 175% of SpellPower) Shadow damage and increasing all damage done by your spells on the target by 30% for 8 sec.

Main question I want to know is that I am using affdots and when i see a huge proc I reapply dots as I should. Now will I need to reapply haunt or will it automatically apply the 30% to the new power of the dots. Or should i apply haunt before applying the new dots that just got the buff from procs? I just hate to use all the shards for it one for haunt and one for sb and sw.

The increased damage from Haunt is a debuff on the mob rather than the buffs you receive that calculate into Affdots. So no, you do not have to recast Haunt for the increased power DoT's you applied while your Haunt is still running.

As stated above the increased damage to your dots is for everything put on the target as long as your haunt is active. Posted Image

It's fairly straight forward.

It is important to keep this on the target as much as possible. Don't be too liberal and cast it so you run out and can't keep haunt up during a big buff (like lust), but still keep up as much as you can. I try to always hold around 1 soul shard and find it very easy. With as many multi dotting fights spreading corrupting out for shard regen is easy and keeps your shard capped.

Good luck and i hope you do well Posted Image

Edited by obleak

Debuffs are calculated on impact.

Buffs are calculated on execution.

^ General rule of thumb.

• Like 1

obleak, i utterly disagree with you regarding shard regen. i consistently find myself at 1 shard with no other forms of corruption ticking besides kill target. it takes quite a bit of experience before you really start noticing multidots rolling and until you start burning 3-5 gcds to either manually apply corruption or sb/ss more targets (in the process, burning a shard) and understand that this CAN be beneficial, its tough to keep shards about 1-2. This cripples many newer aff locks that assume 100% efficiency on a single target outweighs multi-dottings benefits from nightfall procs

obleak, i utterly disagree with you regarding shard regen. i consistently find myself at 1 shard with no other forms of corruption ticking besides kill target. it takes quite a bit of experience before you really start noticing multidots rolling and until you start burning 3-5 gcds to either manually apply corruption or sb/ss more targets (in the process, burning a shard) and understand that this CAN be beneficial, its tough to keep shards about 1-2. This cripples many newer aff locks that assume 100% efficiency on a single target outweighs multi-dottings benefits from nightfall procs

Many skilled Affliction Warlocks are posting 55-65% Haunt uptime through average procs and the 2pc bonus. The 2pc bonus makes it so you can extend Haunt to a pretty sizeable duration (24 sec) for only 2 shards and this gives time for excess shards to accumulate. As for multi-dotting, for Affliction, if there's another target, put Corruption on it. /discussion There is absolutely no reason for you to not fish for more Soul Shards in any situation. The discussion ends on talking about consuming a Soul Shard to fish for more Soul Shards. You don't use SB:SS to put DoTs up to get more Soul Shards...you manually cast Corruption to do that.

This is clearly strat dependent as you typically won't be slamming Haunts out at your discretion. You obviously want to use Haunt when you're at 4 Soul Shards, but you'll primarily want to line them up with temporary buffs such as trinket procs or boss mechanics (Jin'rohk pools, Ji'kun Primal Nutrient, etc). However, in any situation where there are more targets to hit, you should be 'fishing' for Soul Shards. My rule of thumb is 3 or less targets = manually casting on each. 4 or more gets a SB:Seed of Corruption.