FORUMS
Floodtower

Newbie Warlock looking for low level help

Hi,

I recently started playing WoW, and found Icy Veins after I was looking for a guide on how to play Destruction Warlock. Although I read the guide it quickly became apparent that I had no clue what it was talking about and it wasn't applicable to lower levels at all :P .

I've been play Random Dungeon Finder with a group of 3 friends (Druid Healer, Rogue and Tank Warrior) and i'm really struggling to deal damage, and recount says my dps is always bottom of the tables.  I am trying to immolate -> conflagarate -> incinerate (spam). If i'm against a boss I will also use chaos bolt whenever I have enough ember. 

Another issue i'm having is selecting targets in battle, is there anyway to help with that?

Thanks a bunch :)

Current gear: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/draenor/Luvdatbootyx/simple

None of my friends have those heirloom things btw

Just an FYI, low level characters are in no way, shape, or form balanced.  Different classes/specs gain abilities at different levels, some of which greatly impact their damage output.  I wouldn't fret too much about "loosing the dps race" at low levels.  One thing I would of suggest, is that to save immolate for bosses.  The trash mobs don't live anywhere near long enough for it to be worth using on them, so instead focus on using incinerate and conflagrate, and using chaos bolt to avoid capping on burning embers.  

I totally agree with Orthios on that one. DPS just doesn't matter at lower levels :)

Uncommon Patron

Forget about using your immolate, dot up as many mobs as you can and use your single dps "rotation". And as other poster commented, recount is best used as a aid in raiding, not really helpful to you in low level duns. Personally, I would turn it off. If you are killing mobs, helping the group progress, then you are doing your job. Have fun instead! 

I remember when i was doing low level duns with my spouse, who was the pally tank, he was top dps! But it all evens out as your toon levels. And you see a lot of toons that rush ahead of the tank to get the first hit in so they can top out recount as the most hits, wins the recount score. Doesn't make them better players, if anything, they learn bad habits doing that. 

Edited by Brunhill

I'd clear recount right before you are going to start a boss.   I wouldn't base your dps on trash but I think on a boss you should be close if not on par with the other people.  You'll notice the difference than look at their I level.  It could be a gear thing and you have a strength necklace and a trinket that increases your agility.  It may be just bad luck on drops and that's cool.  Stack intellect anything armor for right now hoping for crit mastery.