FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Fyz

Help Request: Frost Opener (logs included)

I've been having issues/inconsistencies with my opening burst and was hoping I could get some advice. This is my biggest DPS issue at the moment.

We killed Lei Shen last night. This might not be the best fight to assess, since the pull is so awkward, but here are the logs:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-5f9az3ow9pt2z8q1/details/7/

Here's an armory link (please note that I'm currently logged out in PvP gear, this is for later)

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/deathwing/Fyzzle/advanced

What I currently try to do is:

Evocate ~6 seconds

Mirror Images

Pre-pot ~2 sec

pre-cast Frostbolt

NT

Frozen Orb

Frostbolt x 2

pop all cooldowns

check for procs (maybe delay a bit here)

alter time

nuke

I feel like I spend too much of my time waiting. Maybe you can suggest an ideal macro? Other tips?

Thanks.

I'm posting this from the guide just in case you hadn't looked. Some of our frost mages may be able to weigh in with some additional advice :)

5.3. Opening Sequence

We advise you to use the following opening sequence (or opener).

[*]After the pull:

Hope that helps ya.

This is a helpful reminder as this is where I learned it in the first place.

There is no discussion of trinkets here though. Is it the Icy-Veins opinion that trinket procs are to be considered good luck for initial burst but that they shouldn't be fished for? I'm starting to think this is true but it sure does suck when my BotH and Wushu proc just after I pop AT.

This is a helpful reminder as this is where I learned it in the first place.

There is no discussion of trinkets here though. Is it the Icy-Veins opinion that trinket procs are to be considered good luck for initial burst but that they shouldn't be fished for? I'm starting to think this is true but it sure does suck when my BotH and Wushu proc just after I pop AT.

I would say to wait for the trinket procs. Especially the INT trinket procs, and then use Alter Time ^^ Delaying using AT is not that much DPS loss, than you lost your trinket proc because of that. You might also want to delay Icy Veins a bit, but I don't really think that is necessary. At least, I'd personally fish for them Posted Image The triple ice lance, frost bolt, frostfirebolt, frozen orb damages, and ticks from NT should be pretty much enough to proc them even if they are RPPM trinkets.

I even have an addon tracking my trinket procs and the internal cooldowns (shown on the picture. ie. Wushu has 22 seconds) :3 so I can actually plan on delaying AT or using it before the proc. Unfortunately ofc not all trinkets are this predictable, but.. well.. RNG is a part of the game. These addons might help you to make up the good decision.

On the other hand, frankly as I have realized we usually don't do huuuge burst at the start, but we can keep rather constant high damage ^^

Posted Image

Edited by Oltier
  • Like 1

Your kill log was apparently cut off after 2 minutes. I'm referencing attempt #18.

- Improve Invoker's Energy uptime. I did it tonight and had 99% uptime.

- I have 100 more NT ticks. Make sure this doesn't fall off. (You also have less BF procs than me, about half)

It's just execution. I wouldn't worry about it. As you become more comfortable with the fight you will see an improvement.

In terms of trinkets, it's a bit hard to describe. I would never AT missing anything more than 1 thing. If I have both my trinkets, a BF, and one FoF, I usually pop AT + IV even without that 2nd FoF. If I have BF + 2 FoFs (and I've been conscious of my last trinket proc), I usually won't wait for the trinkets, or I'll delay a second or two to see if one pops. At the start of fights, I almost always delay until I have everything, but I will never wait longer than 5 seconds as it is a dps loss.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2