FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Decision

Basic Brewmaster help

I've just leveled my monk to 90 (hurraayy!!) and I decided to start playing as Brewmaster due to the fast tank queu's. However I'm a bit confused about the stat priority you go by when you're gearing up. I see that you here on icy-veins have ranked crit highest in 10m and mastery highest in 25m with haste dead last.

I understand why you dont cover stat priority while gearing but I'd like some advice on where to go from here as I personally would say haste is much better while gearing as you will have more freedom on when to use your abilities. Now, I know that there's not THAT much of a difference between the stats but I still want to know what the very optimal way is because I'm a min-maxer and want to do everything better than average.

So if I'm plain out wrong about everything then please say so and explain why.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I know hit and expertise is way better than anything else so that's out of concern.

Edited by Decision

Hit to 7.5% and exp to 15% is pretty important. If you miss any of your abilities then you lose out on the chi for your defensive stuff, but for the other stats it largely depends what content you are doing.

Dungeons? It really densest matter.. Crit/haste will give you the best DPS.

LFR/10 man? Go full crit < haste < mastery

25? Crit will work, but the bosses hit harder. Crit will work better for normal mode, but if you start doing heroics then mastery will mitigate more damage.

Mastery is good if you're taking really big hits all the time. If you're still learning the encounters, you are pretty much guaranteed to take more damage, but with high Mastery it will get Staggered and then you can purify it off to make it easier on your healers. That's just my opinion; if I'm undergeared and inexperienced in new content as a tank, I run high Stamina and mitigation stats until the gear gets better, the people know the encounters better, and I can afford to be a little more aggressive with control and DPS stats.

Eh, unless you're running heroic raids, mastery is not worth it. High crit builds give a decent DPS boost on top of procing tons of elusive brew for mitigation. Coupled with the 2pc t15, makes it even more worth while.

In lower gear (below 500) I would suggest a bigger emphasis on stamina if you are running normal ToT.

The problem with tanking is that it all depends on the content you're doing. Need more health to survive big hits? Go stam/mastery then crit. Got enough health? Go crit. Doing heroic raids? Mastery for 25 man. LFR? Full crit all the way.

Hit to 7.5% and exp to 15% is pretty important. If you miss any of your abilities then you lose out on the chi for your defensive stuff, but for the other stats it largely depends what content you are doing.

LFR/10 man? Go full crit < haste < mastery

25? Crit will work, but the bosses hit harder. Crit will work better for normal mode, but if you start doing heroics then mastery will mitigate more damage.

I said I knew about the hit and expertise hard caps so yeah.

And now I actually said I also knew it didnt do a lot of difference between wich stats I use in dungeons but I still wanted to know what's optimal because I want to min-max.

So please, read the post thoroughly befor replying.

.. but for the other stats it largely depends what content you are doing.

Please read the entire post before replying. Including your own post.

I said I knew about the hit and expertise hard caps so yeah.

And now I actually said I also knew it didnt do a lot of difference between wich stats I use in dungeons but I still wanted to know what's optimal because I want to min-max.

So please, read the post thoroughly befor replying.

We may not have super stringent rules like Elitist Jerks, but we will not tolerate rude people here.

Regardless of whether you found the reply helpful, someone did take the time to write you a reply and you have to respect that. And for what it's worth, it looks to me as if Krazyito gave you a proper answer regarding statistics.

I had no intention of sounding rude in any way and if you've gotten that impression from me I do apologize Krazyito.

When I said gearing up I meant dungeons only(should have wrote that)and in that case I do as I said in my first post know about the hit and expertise caps therefore I found it ignorant of you to mention it again. Oversensitive so apologies again.

So with that of the chart I thank you Krazyito for your second post, it was good reading.

I got a bit indecisive though when you mentioned it would be better of with stamina in pre 500 gear when doing ToT normal.

For what I have experienced stamina is really only useful for surviving burst damage, but isnt that what our mastery is for? Even with low mastery a proper stagger reduce the direct hit by ~30%

Maybe I am making to big of a deal of the stats but as I said, I want to do the very best with my chars at any given time.

Well, Mastery will only help you with physical damage. Stamina for more magic. You still need a certain amount of effective health to at least survive the hits. Monks have the lowest HP i think of any other tank, so just have "enough" for the content you are doing and then use the appropriate stat.

In all seriousness, crit is the way to go for anything that is not 25 man heroic. It provides the most damage and gives mitigation with the form of dodge procs. Doing this though, you have to make sure you keep yous shuffle buff up to get that extra 20% stagger.

As crazy as it may sound I actually thought that the mastery would shrug of magic damage aswell.

So yeah thank you for all the help.