Damien

Beast Mastery Hunter 7.2

447 posts in this topic

This thread is for comments about our Beast Mastery Hunter guide for Legion.

What makes Chimaera Shot better than Stomp?

I get that Stomp is Physical damage while Chimaera is Nature/Frost, meaning the damage from Stomp gets partially mitigated by armor, but Stomp just seems to do way more damage on single target and even better on AoE regardless. It's technically on a 12s cd compared to Chimaera Shot's 9s cd but I'm not sure how much that improves it, and Dire Beast gets resets every so often too.

Am I missing something? Or is the +focus from Chimaera Shot really just that good?

Hey, how do you figure chimera shot is better than Stomp? With all my testing I do have Stomp being ahead by 11%; single target. I do have 21% haste in the beta (chimera 7,43 sec; Dire Beast 9,91 sec, not sure why Dire Beast is still this high) even without any proccs of wild call, Stomp will do more dmg overall. If you have at least two targets, this isn´t even in the same ballpark. I do have Stomp at an average of 136k and chimera at 61k (2x). And yes with Chimera you will have more focus to burn, and with Stomp there will be downtime, if you do have bad luck with Wild call proccs, still, but with all the testing I have done, it shows to be ahead by around 8% (single target)

And maybe theoretically bestail fury should be better than One with the pack and not so procc dependend, but here also, if you do get the 15% more proccs via One with the pack, Stomp will deliver more Dmg than those 15% extra during Bestial Wrath, especially if you do have at least 2 targets. Plus the regular Bestial Wrath will be up more often, because of the increase of Dire Beast usage.

Maybe you can clear up, where my thinking is wrong.

Thx,

Prux

56 minutes ago, Guest Chimera/Stomp said:

Hey, how do you figure chimera shot is better than Stomp? With all my testing I do have Stomp being ahead by 11%; single target. ... but with all the testing I have done, it shows to be ahead by around 8% (single target)

I am sorry, 11% was the overall Dmg plus I got using Stomp instead of Chimera, including Dmg plus for Cobra Shot, etc. 8% if you just compare the Stomp Dmg to the Chimera Dmg.

Thx Prux

Yes, I was wondering the same thing. Very surprised to see Chimera Shot showing as being viable.

I was going to pick it anyway just because it's the most fun talent, but it would be cool to understand the reasoning in those guides sometimes, something more than just "this is better" and "this is worse."

Way of the cobra was bugged as of the last couple beta builds. If you take the talent make sure it is working before you hit an instance or raid.

Some of the talents are wrong... I have some stuff completely different lol

23 minutes ago, Guest Popdee said:

Some of the talents are wrong... I have some stuff completely different lol

That's because the pre-patch isn't live yet.

I am new. 

I 'tamed' some pets by clicking a little icon and blowing kisses at them.

Today, the little icon seems missing.  I don't know how to tame a pet now after the update.

If the little icon is still there, where can I find it to put it back on the action bar?

Thanks.  :)

You have abilities listed as the "proper choice" on the talents page and then have other abilities (sometimes what you've called the worst choice) being shown as high priority in the rotation page.

Like Barrage.  Barrage in my testing is twice the damage of both Cobra and Auto.  Crows has a substantially longer cooldown and Volley is a constant Focus drain where Focus relies on Dire Beast/Frenzy resets.

Stomp provides excessively more damage than Dire Frenzy with Chimaera being the lowest dps.  But Dire Frenzy is also cosmetic to get rid of Dire Beasts.   

Killer Cobra gives many more Kill Commands under Bestial Wrath which is up quite a lot especially paired with Aspect of the Wild.  Stampede requires a static target as any movement or facing will waste the damage since it's a straight line and no longer follows the target.

Posthaste is freedom plus a speed boost while Farstrider is extra resets of a 20 second cooldown ability with a shortened leap distance sans glyph. So moving faster every 20 seconds versus lots of random jumping?

Chimaera and Stomp are extremely close single-target, with Chimaera narrowly winning out. Unless you have simulations that show the contrary that are better than my own, then your anecdotal experience and in-game testing is not worth a single thing, actually.

The same goes for everyone challenging the guide on its choice of talents. You can't just come and claim something is better, you must prove it. The best way to do that is with sims. If not with sims, then you must have a reasonable case for why simulations are not adequate.

If you have done simulations, my mistake, but you haven't linked them so it's pretty hard for me to verify what you're saying when you're just saying "this is how it is and you're wrong". 

I can tell you right now that Dire Frenzy is miles behind both Stomp and Chimaera for absolutely everything. Just as Killer Cobra is quite a bit behind Stampede, and Barrage is fairly terrible for Beast Mastery when Crows benefits from Mastery.

If you can prove me wrong, I welcome it.

2 people like this

Hey! Thanks for putting this guide together so quick! I admit that I've been pretty lost today, missing traps and camouflage among other things. :(

Could you explain why you include Barrage in the rotations when you initially say to choose Volley? I might've missed a part somewhere. Thanks again!

The Barrage is part of the rotation in case someone decides to use it. It isn't recommended, but if you are using it, it's there.

In your guide at trinket ranking is the class trinket listed as the worst one. At ask-mr-robot is the class trinket listes as the best one. So what now?!

And are you sure to going haste as main stat? I think Mastery or Versatility is the better choice.

What is in your opinion the better spec, mm or bm (actual patch with t18 in hfc) ?

Good Morning! Thanks for the guide.
What would be the ideal percentages:
Haste?
Versatility?
Mastery?

I would also like to know, what will be more interesting if the MM or BM, given that I liked more the BM, but I was forced to play in WOD MM.

Thanks

11 hours ago, Guest Lapi said:

In your guide at trinket ranking is the class trinket listed as the worst one. At ask-mr-robot is the class trinket listes as the best one. So what now?!

And are you sure to going haste as main stat? I think Mastery or Versatility is the better choice.

What is in your opinion the better spec, mm or bm (actual patch with t18 in hfc) ?

n0sLMQX.png
wIUcyHO.png

8 hours ago, SimonPhoenix said:

Good Morning! Thanks for the guide.
What would be the ideal percentages:
Haste?
Versatility?
Mastery?

I would also like to know, what will be more interesting if the MM or BM, given that I liked more the BM, but I was forced to play in WOD MM.

Thanks

No such thing as ideal percentages in the real world.

I am not sure what your second question is, sorry.

Hey dude! Great guide for beginners.

Although some of your statements are just making me pissed off. Can you please explain why BM is considered worse than MM? Considering rotations, cd's and everything, BM felt much more smooth than MM to be honest. Most of MM talents have this small area of usefullness during a 8 min fight, yet all viable BM talents have great use in them, and dps never drops even when RNJesus decides to leave you alone, yet your cd's make you go literally wild.

Second, how is Chimera Shot better than Stomp? Even against a single target (a situtaion rarely happens) simple math tells you stomp is way better, even without mentioning the cosmetic part.

Great job again, but a bit confusing statements for lovers of this spec.

1 minute ago, Guest lavascha said:

Hey dude! Great guide for beginners.

Although some of your statements are just making me pissed off. Can you please explain why BM is considered worse than MM? Considering rotations, cd's and everything, BM felt much more smooth than MM to be honest. Most of MM talents have this small area of usefullness during a 8 min fight, yet all viable BM talents have great use in them, and dps never drops even when RNJesus decides to leave you alone, yet your cd's make you go literally wild.

Second, how is Chimera Shot better than Stomp? Even against a single target (a situtaion rarely happens) simple math tells you stomp is way better, even without mentioning the cosmetic part.

Great job again, but a bit confusing statements for lovers of this spec.

I don't have an answer to part 1, I'm sure Azor will, but he has answered about Chimera vs. Stomp:

21 hours ago, Azortharion said:

Chimaera and Stomp are extremely close single-target, with Chimaera narrowly winning out. Unless you have simulations that show the contrary that are better than my own, then your anecdotal experience and in-game testing is not worth a single thing, actually.

The same goes for everyone challenging the guide on its choice of talents. You can't just come and claim something is better, you must prove it. The best way to do that is with sims. If not with sims, then you must have a reasonable case for why simulations are not adequate.

If you have done simulations, my mistake, but you haven't linked them so it's pretty hard for me to verify what you're saying when you're just saying "this is how it is and you're wrong". 

I can tell you right now that Dire Frenzy is miles behind both Stomp and Chimaera for absolutely everything. Just as Killer Cobra is quite a bit behind Stampede, and Barrage is fairly terrible for Beast Mastery when Crows benefits from Mastery.

If you can prove me wrong, I welcome it.

Tear 3 and 5 are not talked about on the talents.

Tier 3

Posthaste

Farstrider

Dash

Tier 5

Binding Shot

Wyvern Sting

Intimidation

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor